New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
i was out fishing and caught my first yellow perch( 9.5 inch) , allong with 15 others and after i left for an hour i went back to show my dad, but we only caught one and no bites, would it be because the clouds covered the sun for a while, wind, and maybe because we caught a pickerel in the same spot. why did the perch stop biting?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
i was out fishing and caught my first yellow perch( 9.5 inch) , allong with 15 others and after i left for an hour i went back to show my dad, but we only caught one and no bites, would it be because the clouds covered the sun for a while, wind, and maybe because we caught a pickerel in the same spot. why did the perch stop biting?
Why do any kind of fish stop biting? There are all kinds of reason, could be weather, time of day, colour of your lure, they could have changed depths, water temp changed and they stopped feeding.

I have been fishing with my buddy and caught 15 pickerel and he was using the same lure I was and only 10 feet away from me and he got zero.

·
Registered
65 Posts
your lucky they stopped biting
i find them really annoying when trying to target other fish.They steal bait and get in the way. But thats cool 9.5 inches good job

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fished about 2 hours tonight. First day of the year for me. Was out there hour and a half with nothing. Sun started setting and got 6 in 20 minutes. My buddy that was with me got 8. Couple 6 " ers, couple more than 10" too, most around 8-9". My friend caught 3 speckled trout too only 4-6" though, no breakfast tomorrow

·
Registered
15 Posts
Last year i caught a couple 11-14" perch so i kept and ate them delicious!! went out a week or 2 later all of a sudden both i brought home had worms so i couldn't eat them, i figured the water was worm and not really deep so that was the cause, went back on the 15th of this year caught a couple kept 1 for eating, it was a 13" checked the tail looked good, brought it home had 3 worms in the body... so i wont keep anymore from that area if i keep a fish to eat i feel really bad finding out it has worms and i killed the fish for nothing... anyways sorry for the story on your thread but Ipops comment about being yummy got me goin haha i love perch.

-Jordan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Went to the same spot again tonight. Exact same result as the sun started setting although we weren't there as long so not as many hits on the line.

Going just beyond the train bridge on the Hammond, lots more room than the clearing off the highway. Will try keeping the perch next time. We've just been releasing everything. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think they come and go more with the current and the tide around the hammond area, so they may just be feeding in the area and then moving on. I went last summer in a kayak and floated down and caught a ton of them along the way, kept a few big ones.
They taste pretty good, but i had a tough time cleaning them because they have a very tough scaly skin

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
filletting perch is good practice for stripers, it`s almost idenetical with just one less step. i have seen a few different methods, and tried a new one to me out this year...then went back to my old method.

use a sharp fillette knife.
cut a little over a 1/4" behind the gillls to the back bone.
cut along the back bone from the above cut to the tail.
flip the fish and do the same 2 cuts again. it is much easier to do this if you leave the first fillette on the fish before you make the second set of cuts.
work the knife along the meat and bone, working from the back towards the belly. i find it easier to work my way up from the tail until the vent, then work the meat off untill you have the back strap seperated from the rib bones. don`t seperate any further, i don`t normally eat what very little belly meat there is on a perch.
i remove the fillette 2 different methods, depending on how sharp the knife is. if very sharp, fold the meat away from the bone and, starting at the head end of the fillette, cut through the skin and work your way back along the edge where the meat bone and skin connect, all the way down to the tail. for only a fairly sharp knife, start from the tail and cut through the skin just an inch or even less at a time, cutting each time back towards the tail (sort of like using a old can opener on a tuff can). this second method wastes almost no meat, while the first wastes very little.
now to remove the skin, just put it skin down on a flat board, hold onto the last 1/2" or so and cut in and along the fillette, removing the meat. you may have to move forward on the fillette a few times doing this to keep a good hold and keep the skin down and flat to the board.
now candle the skinless fillettes by holding them up to a strong light. you can easily see any scales or parasites left on or in the flesh. be sure to check from both sides. wipe with paper towel or pick off any scales, use the knife tip to pick out any parasites. wash to remove any blood etc.

i like to use a cajun coating but will also use italian, herb and a variety of other coatings. i cook them in a small pan so i can use a little deeper oil than normal frying, closer to a deep frying. i will also often add some ginger to the oil - perch are already a sweat fish and the ginger brings it out even more.
cook untill golden on both sides.
serve hot with or without sauce (i like ketchup or cherry sauce for perch)

yummy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts