New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner

Yellow Perch?

18K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  dunston 
#1 ·
Where's a good place to fish yellow perch?

thanks,
jim

#2 ·
@FundyHeather:

In the Saint John (and surrounding) area, you can find Yellow Perch in just about any lake. A good place for catching tons of them is Douglas Lake (off Loch Lomond Road). You can also catch them in Hunter Lake, McBrien's, 1st Lake, 2nd Lake, 3rd Lake, etc.. etc..

Of course, all of these lakes also contain trout (both brown and speck)

Good luck! And remember, Yellow Perch are very common in just about any lake containing trout.

#5 ·
thanks guys,

We used to set perch on a treble hook through the back, hanging from a big bobber as bait for pike in Northern Ont. Seemed like a good way to catch pike while making dinner. We would just throw out the perch and go about our business. (Only thing is, I like perch as a pan fish.) The pike would hit hard and the bobber would dissapear. After you gave the pike enough time to choke down the fish you set the hook and reel him in. He's hooked good, so this is not catch and release by any means. We tended to get big fish this way.

Anyway, that's all in the past, I live in Albert County and would like to go to a campground where there was lots of perch and stay a few days fishing with the grandkids. Any suggestions?

jim

#13 ·
I have to agree Casey,just about anywhere in the Grand Lake system has some great yellow perch fishing. Salmon river has some good perch fishing but they also have worms.The white perch are fine though.I guess because they are run fish and haven't been living in the dead water zones where they pick up the worms.

#14 ·
when my kids were much younger , I introduced them to catch and release fishing in the Rockwood Park Fisher Lakes area(Saint John). There is a campground, great shore fishing for the kids. These lakes contain Yellow Perch (some upwards to 10.5-11 inches), Sunfish, Speckleds and Smallmouth. My kids still ask to go back there now and then for a fish, they have a blast.... Heck, some of my buddies and I still go there every once and awhile with ultralite gear and have some great laughs. Depending on the age of the grand kids, I know all to well from experience the mess they can make of lines and reels, tangles I didn't think were possible. Put on a Cenko, whip it out as far as you can and let it sit on bottom, more times than I can count I have tightened the line up on it and had a 3.5 to 4 Lb smallie snugging the line back up as well lol. Nice surprise after a hour of undoing the mess of tangles and tree hooksets

Tight Lines , and thanks for getting the grandkids into it, what our sport needs more of.

#15 ·
[fished in Salmon River above Chipman yesterday caught lots of perch on
spinner and Berkley Gulp 2.5 trout worms. The ones that come in a package.
Never had any luck with the ones that come in a bottle.
The river was very low. Could see the bottom everywhere. No pickeral caught.

#20 ·
I have caught many at the Hampton town dock, and also in Bellisle at The Dike. What the Dike is is a piece of land in between the water. So there is water on one side and water on the other. One side of it has Pickerel and the other Yellow and White Perch. Really big ones, too.

#34 ·
GetReelFishingTV; yes, I know that spot very well! I've always simply referred to it as Hatfiled Point - I didn't realise that is where you were referring to.
I have taken both my neice and wife there and they had a lot of fun. You are correct, it has lots of yellow perch, pickerel, and a few white perch, although I never had much luck finding the white perch there. There are also lots of sunfish and bullheads. Some people say that they have caught large trout there in the spring, but I have never caught either a trout or smallmouth bass at that location. Where along there did you find you caught the most white perch?

#29 ·
I wouldn't call them yellow perch. They don't look alike at all. I've caught about a million of them over the years, mostly at Point du Chene. I'm with Ken on this one. Good for taking kids out fishing so that they'll be guaranteed to catch something. I'm sure someone might like eating them as they're pretty fleshy but I never tried them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.