New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here, not sure if this is the right thread?

Wondering if anyone fishing salt water wharfs in the early weeks of spring, such as beaver h. chance h. blacks h. or black river road wharf?

Wanted to try fishing them but have never gone this early, only summer and fall for typical flounder and mackerel ( yet to catch one in nb.... )

Any suggestions on what to try out for bait and setups? day time night time? tide in or out slack? anything and everything guys!

thanks in advance. im in saint john,

·
Registered
981 Posts
Very much the right place to ask, wish I could answer your question well besides making that comment.

If I were to speculate, I'd wonder if harbour pollock and flounder might be around through the winter. Others here will likely know a lot more about it if so. Pollock can be caught using the same basic casting rig as mackerel, and there are flounder rigs for the bottom that you use for boat fishing and that might work when cast as well - not sure.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Winter flounder and Ocean Pout move inshore in the winter/spring to spawn. Ocean Pout get upto 5-6lbs at least and are good eating. Only ever caught them from a boat near the cages, but one after another. Harbour pollock (small pollock) should be near shore all winter into early spring.

Saltwater sportfishing in the Bay of Fundy is extremely under developed....but then again, most fish species are also over fished commercially or have moved out of areas due to changing water temperatures/pollution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts