New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm fairly new at fishing and I would like to know where I can fish for trout around the Moncton area, anywhere that would be 30mins ish out is ok. Also I use a spinning reel with a spinner, weights and a floater, I use berkley's bait as well, just wondering if that is a good set up for rivers? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey, I live in riverview and do a lot of fishing in thus area. you can go up Salisbury road (riverview side) and fish the little river just before Salisbury, and just when youre going into Salisbury theres the peticodiac river and just up stream from there is where the pollet river joins the peticodiac river and north rivers. as well you can drive out past the turtle creek dam and keep going up route 912 until you get to prosser brook and fish that theres always good trout fishing there. and if ya wanna head up mcgaulin road till you hit the cocange river theres good fishing there as well. all within your driving range.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey Slyguyty,

You are right on all places except that I never have caught any in the Cocagne River in all my years of fishing. When do the sea trout usually run there?

·
Registered
109 Posts
The problem on Cocagne river is the fisherman/sea trout ratio (I would say 50:1 lol....:-( ). Also, pretty much all fishermen there have the old mentality of keeping every fish they catch. I already talk to a guy there who showed me his catch of the day. There was 3 small 4 inches trout and 2 salmon parr... This river should be Catch and release only for at least 5 years..my opinion..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I've started fishing last year and not knowing any other place other than Cocagne, I fished there pretty well all last year and did not catch anything. I went back this year a couple of times but still nothing, I've tried a spot on the petitcodiac and still nothing lol. I'm hoping I'll catch a fish sooner than later. Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jay,

Don't get discouraged! I've been out a couple of times this year with no luck either. The water is still pretty cold and fish aren't too active yet. If you're fly fishing, you pretty much have to put something right in front of their mouth to entice any action. Even then, the takes are very gentle if at all.
Although I'm not exactly new to fishing, I'm a relative newbie when it comes to fishing the Moncton area. I'm constantly checking out new places, constantly exploring. It's part of the fun but can be frustrating too. Persistence will pay off. In the meantime, you get to spend time seeing this beautiful province, exploring new areas, and practicing!

Have fun!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey fisherjay1

You can spend a lifetime fishing Cocagne and never seem to catch anything especally if your not there at the right time. LOL
Send me a PM and maybe we can go out together sometime.

Robert

·
Registered
6 Posts
The cocange is a tough one to fish, there are a lot of ppl fishing it constantly. I agree with the above statement in that it should be catch and release for a few years to get things back the way they should be. So far this year my best luck has been in large beaver ponds. I know of a few great ones but near impossible to explain. Im planning a day trip to fish the 116 from harcourt to chipman next week. Hopefully will be a good trip!!! Seems most trips have been disappointing past few years. Ill keep ya posted on my luck. If ya need more spots feel free to inbox me!!! Cheers

·
Registered
457 Posts
Slyguyty, I am going to Chipman on Mon to fish pickerel. I normally leave Mtn Rd in Moncton and take the TCH to hwy #10 to get there. Is it easier/shorter to go up 126 and take the 116 from Harcourt to Chipman. Is the road pretty good? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey, I live in riverview and do a lot of fishing in thus area. you can go up Salisbury road (riverview side) and fish the little river just before Salisbury, and just when youre going into Salisbury theres the peticodiac river and just up stream from there is where the pollet river joins the peticodiac river and north rivers. as well you can drive out past the turtle creek dam and keep going up route 912 until you get to prosser brook and fish that theres always good trout fishing there. and if ya wanna head up mcgaulin road till you hit the cocange river theres good fishing there as well. all within your driving range.
hi. I'm living in Riverview NB. I'm from nfld. I want to fish so bad. I drive out by turtle Creek. There wAs this little bridge you go over. There's a few fish. Anywhere else. Someplace I can drive. Maybe walk to a place. I can't find any place. Can you send me places on a map or directions. Or take me with you. I love fishing and don't know anyone to show me. Thanks John. Email me [email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts