New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the exchange rate being almost at parr. I'm thinking of picking up a new boat and trailer in the States this April.

Any suggestions on where to buy? Looking for a brand new 14 foot aluminum with trailer. Don't want a flat bottom John boat. Looking for something with a V hull.

And what is involved when coming across the border? The trailer would be licensed in the states. What's the hassels?

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
457 Posts
Have a look thru "Unclehenrys.com" It is like Kijiji!!Sometimes dealers have ads in there. Also pm ""AF2"" on here, he bought a boat, motor and trailer stateside. I bought a Lowe 1667 angler at Phils in F'ton last year and it was 3K after some dickering. Just bought a 2010 20hp Merc to put on it and got a great deal from a Merc dealer in Campbellton.Just looked at one, its a dealerso here is a link.http://www.unclehenrys.com/init/classifieds/ad_detail/3667849/?_next=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.unclehenrys.com%2Finit%2Fsearch%2Fresults%2F1%233667849

·
Registered
428 Posts
Have a look thru "Unclehenrys.com" It is like Kijiji!!Sometimes dealers have ads in there. Also pm ""AF2"" on here, he bought a boat, motor and trailer stateside. I bought a Lowe 1667 angler at Phils in F'ton last year and it was 3K after some dickering. Just bought a 2010 20hp Merc to put on it and got a great deal from a Merc dealer in Campbellton.
You should look at New Hampshire and Vermont as well. There are lots of dealers with websites as well as kijiji, craigslist etc. People in NB are ridiculous with their prices on used boats when you look at the prices in the US.
Just make sure you have all your paperwork faxed to the border 3 days in advance, check in with the US customs, then Canadian. They like to make sure it isn't stolen etc before it leaves the country. Make sure all the serial numbers are complete as well. A guy I know had a hard time with his boat because the border guard felt he got it too cheaply so he made a big deal about one number on the trailer's serial number not being legible. There are usually 2-3 serial numbers on a trailer anyways.

·
Registered
108 Posts
With the exchange rate being almost at parr. I'm thinking of picking up a new boat and trailer in the States this April.

Any suggestions on where to buy? Looking for a brand new 14 foot aluminum with trailer. Don't want a flat bottom John boat. Looking for something with a V hull.

And what is involved when coming across the border? The trailer would be licensed in the states. What's the hassels?

Thanks

Scott
Hi Scott! I don't know to much about where to get a "new boat" but I do know what is involved in getting a boat across the border, I bougth a used bass boat last spring in the state of Mass. Not much hassel, just make sure that you have the title for the boat and the one for the trailer,also make sure that you have a bill of sale for each separate, different regs apply for boat and trailer when you cross over in n.b.The boat is no problem, you just pay the sales tax, the trailer, you have to make sure it clearly has the serial# and that it was built in north america {free trade rules} and when you stop at the border you have to pay the federal part of the hst {5%} and what they call a transfer fee of about 200${ they say it's duty free but it's still a fee}, then the border guards will give you a form that you have to take to probably Canadian tire they will let you know,so that you can get your safety inspection for the trailer and after that you just go to service n.b. to get your plates, just make sure that you bring the form that they gave you to every stop that you have to do.Pretty painless all in all, it took about 15 minutes at the border, 20 minutes at the Canadin Tire, and 15 minutes at services n.b. It was well worth the effort in my case, I got 2006 G3 18feet bass boat with a 50 hp four stroke with about 20 hours on it and the trailer for 4900$ u.s., this rig goes for about 12000$ over here. P.S. I always travel to the states by going through Macdam crossing, very few in line up and always very friendly. Oh and on your way back you don't have to stop at the u.s. station. hope this helps a bit, Ron

·
Registered
315 Posts

Thanks

Scott
Ive always followed the old rule you get what you pay for with the exception of boats LOL ,,, As Casey said I did buy a package deal stateside as well... Its was a used package with only 10 hours of use... I paid $4000.00 The same package here (In a different brand and a 4 stroke was $10,000 more by the time I got it on the water ) $10,000 in my pocket is well worth the effort.

I ran into a couple bumps but not to bad and not enough to deterr me from buying stateside in the future... As others stated above if you have your proper paperwork signatures you shouldnt have a problem at all...

My advice is to watch Uncle Henerys or craigs list ect for what you want ... Try to line up ahead of time 3 or 4 boats to have a look at on the same day.. This way you wont come home empty handed and you will be able wheel and deal a little. Print out the pics of the boats your interested in and there info ( Make , Model , Age, Condition,Motor,Price and SELLERS CONTACT INFO.. so you can compare them with the boat your currently viewing... If the seller sees your definatly going home with a boat and you have cash in hand and options avaiable they will be much more willing to deal . A little research in advace and good communication with the sellers will help you a great deal....Keep in mind the more correct paper work you have the easier it will be coming across the boarder and registuring it here...

If the rules are still the same and the trailer has a current lisence and registration, you wont have a problem getting it home, however if the trailer is less the 10 years old you will be required to have paper work from the trailer manufacturer that there are no outstanding recalls on that trailer , and if there are paperwork showing the repairs have been made... Im not sure if this is still the case but it was the pain in the ass that I had to go through once I got the trailer back home.. My biggest problem was the trailer manufacturer ( 5 Starr Trailers ) was sold to LoadRite trailers... Needless to say the nice people at loadrite took care of me and sent me some paperwork to get me settled up ... Mind you I followed all steps required and still have never recieved my new palte for the boat with the weight restrictions ect on it ...

Also some more pieces of advice to aide in a smooth transaction is to be friendly , curtious, and honest especially with the sellers.. Nobody wants to get reemed and if the sellers feel your trying to beat them down beyond a reasonable amount you will lose a chance at a deal very quickly .. Trust me you will already be saving alot of money just buying there so why push your luck .. When you finally decide on a package, price and make your deal, make sure your seller is willing to be contacted by the boarder.. This way if you do manage to get an amazing deal ( And you probably will) you can politely give the boarder the sellers contact info and tell them they are free to call them at any time.. ( Let the seller know approx when you plan on crossing the boarder so they can be available if needed)..
I was not asked for this but I know people who have been... Take along the bank reciept of the cash withdrawl in american funds, that you are taking with you .. They may ask to see it... So if you take $6000.00 cash with you and you make a deal for $5000.00 then you should have $1000.00 cash left over , The paperwork matches then and the customs will be more likely to say wow you got a great deal and not hmmmmm something not quite adding up here...

As for notifing the boarder a few days in advance I did not do that , but its a good idea, it cant hurt ...

Goodluck , I hope this helps
Jay

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for all the great advice.

One thing though, I was planning on buying new right from a dealer.

Any good dealers you can recommend?

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
457 Posts
When I was looking around, I had some zip codes for a few different places in Maine. I then went to boat names like Lowe, Alumacraft, lund etc and used their dealer locator to find dealers. I threw away the list i had but all u need is some Maine zipcodes. U should be able to Google a few.Hope this helps!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thanks guys for all the great advice.

One thing though, I was planning on buying new right from a dealer.

Any good dealers you can recommend?

Thanks

Scott
Hey Scott , so if I may ask , if you buy a new boat from a dealer in the states are you going to haul it back there for service/ warranty if needed? The reason I ask is the difference between like new and new could mean thousands of dollars in your pocket. Risk vs reward! Lol the economy in the states is in rough shape , there will be some fantastic deals in the upcoming months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts