New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jim, I'm new to the site and fished the Reversing Falls last year for the first time. I started fishing stripers in July and hooked a few nice stripers.I just wanted to know if there is stripers at the falls or any where on the river. It is a 3hr drive to go fishing,so i did not want to show up fishing if there is no stripers around.So any input would be great.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I asked a friend of mine one time when do the stripers come back into the river and he said "They ever leave?" (he fishes stripers and nothing else). By that he meant they are always there, just harder to catch sometimes.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
nbtraps, you can catch them on as light as smallie gear or even trout gear...but it might be the last time you use it. lol

i would consider the minimum for stripers in a rod as a 6' uglystick, and quickly step up to a 7'-9' surf rod or catfish rod. other than with surf combo's it's hard to find a reel that can handle the amount of line needed to handle a big striper, but if you are fishing from a boat or are good with a rod...or are lucky you can use as small as a "normal" spinning reel capable of at least 110yds of 20# mono. for line you want to go from as little as 17# mono/floro to 30-40# mono/floro/copalamor. for braid, i would start at 65 as a minimum but they can easily break it, so like peifisher said, 80# or even greater. a big striper can break 130# braid. there is a way to use braid and mono/floro/copalamor, called a hot shot. you use 100-300yrds of mono and back it with 200-300yrds of braid. this gives you the best of both worlds and even though it sounds like a lot of line, a zooming striper can go a long ways in just seconds.

i like the copalamor's - the best of mono and floro without the dangers of braid.

don't use steel leader if you can help it. you should use from 30-50# mono/floro for leader. stripers don't have much for teeth but they do have sharp gill plates and know how to use them. 18 - 48" leader.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts