New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if the sea trout run was real early , before fishing season opened, or it hasn't started yet.

I've fished the Kennebecasis River around the 17 of April, didn't catch a thing, this week ( May 22 to 26) I've fished the Kennebecasis in a couple of different spots, and the Hammond river once, all I caught was a shad in the Kennebecasis one day, two small brookies in the Kenebecasis on another day, which I put back, and a sucker in the Hammond...but no sea trout.

In past years I would have caught a few nice size sea trout by this time of year. Anyone else catching any or know why their not around?

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Apparently we either have good news or bad news:
-Good news: water is still too cold to trigger the spawn, so they haven't moved yet (possibly)
-Bad news: water has been high for too long, so they have moved straight through to spawning grounds (possibly)

I've heard both reports from people who apparently know what they're talking about (as it's supposed to be part of their job).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
-Good news: water is still too cold to trigger the spawn, so they haven't moved yet (possibly)
-Bad news: water has been high for too long, so they have moved straight through to spawning grounds (possibly)

I've heard both reports from people who apparently know what they're talking about (as it's supposed to be part of their job).
I guess time will tell, hopefully there still waiting to go up river

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't know if the sea trout run was real early , before fishing season opened, or it hasn't started yet.

I've fished the Kennebecasis River around the 17 of April, didn't catch a thing, this week ( May 22 to 26) I've fished the Kennebecasis in a couple of different spots, and the Hammond river once, all I caught was a shad in the Kennebecasis one day, two small brookies in the Kenebecasis on another day, which I put back, and a sucker in the Hammond...but no sea trout.

In past years I would have caught a few nice size sea trout by this time of year. Anyone else catching any or know why their not around?
I caught 2 nice ones 2 days ago on the cocagne river on the fly ,By the way first time I caught a sea trout ,one was 14 and the other was 13 .

·
Registered
184 Posts

Brook trout spawn in the Fall. The fish we refer to as sea trout, in at least Southern NB, are almost exclusively brook trout. While there may be relationships between their patterns of movement and the water levels/temperatures, there is no reason to believe there is any Spring spawning activity.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Brook trout spawn in the Fall. The fish we refer to as sea trout, in at least Southern NB, are almost exclusively brook trout. While there may be relationships between their patterns of movement and the water levels/temperatures, there is no reason to believe there is any Spring spawning activity.
Not sure where exactly you're going with this. Nevertheless, they enter the river systems anywhere from April to July, and head on up the river until they make it to their spawning grounds. And that's documented fact.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Not sure where exactly you're going with this.
Not going anywhere Stroover, simply pointing out that brook trout do not spawn in the Spring so their movement at this time of year does not relate to anything that might be thought to "trigger the spawn".

Enjoy the fishing, it's a fun time of year.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Not going anywhere Stroover, simply pointing out that brook trout do not spawn in the Spring so their movement at this time of year does not relate to anything that might be thought to "trigger the spawn".

Enjoy the fishing, it's a fun time of year.
That's correct, brookies spawn in the late summer to fall

·
Registered
79 Posts
Some times they come in in the spring, then hang out in deeper down steam pools for the summer- just in case it's a dry summer- then head up to spawn in fall with the rain and high water.
Around here in a couple of the creeks they actually go out to sea in early spring and don't return until September rains(trout season ends too soon:( ).
Sea trout are brook (speckled) trout. About 5-10% of trout in a stream or river will go out to sea. Nobody is sure why, but it probably has something to do with the trouts survival- meaning that if they go out to sea they could potentially come up another stream( 5% home steam miss) and populate another watershed. It probably is the way they originally populated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Some times they come in in the spring, then hang out in deeper down steam pools for the summer- just in case it's a dry summer- then head up to spawn in fall with the rain and high water.
Around here in a couple of the creeks they actually go out to sea in early spring and don't return until September rains(trout season ends too soon:( ).
Sea trout are brook (speckled) trout. About 5-10% of trout in a stream or river will go out to sea. Nobody is sure why, but it probably has something to do with the trouts survival- meaning that if they go out to sea they could potentially come up another stream( 5% home steam miss) and populate another watershed. It probably is the way they originally populated.
The % part as well as populating other watersheds part is false. Sea run brook trout or for the scientific, anadromous brook trout, populations are specific to a watershed. Genetic differences can be observed in a single population depending on its size (ie the Miramichi system can have a noticable genetic difference in tributatries that are far appart Cains/Clearwater). This means they don't stray. The number of anadromous (migrating) brook trout in any particular brook or river depends on suitable habitat for them such as 1. a non restricted passage to and from the river's estuary, 2. the river must have a medium to large estuary holding brackish water, 3. holding pool deep enough to hold large trout in both summer and winter, 4. the holding pools must remain under 20C in heat of the summer . All these conditions must be met to have a population of sea run brook trout, remove one, and the cannot exist. ALL brook trout have the anadromous gene, but only some choose this survival strategy and this is based on the conditions of the afore mentionned habitat in a particular river or watershed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The % part as well as populating other watersheds part is false. Sea run brook trout or for the scientific, anadromous brook trout, populations are specific to a watershed. Genetic differences can be observed in a single population depending on its size (ie the Miramichi system can have a noticable genetic difference in tributatries that are far appart Cains/Clearwater). This means they don't stray. The number of anadromous (migrating) brook trout in any particular brook or river depends on suitable habitat for them such as 1. a non restricted passage to and from the river's estuary, 2. the river must have a medium to large estuary holding brackish water, 3. holding pool deep enough to hold large trout in both summer and winter, 4. the holding pools must remain under 20C in heat of the summer . All these conditions must be met to have a population of sea run brook trout, remove one, and the cannot exist. ALL brook trout have the anadromous gene, but only some choose this survival strategy and this is based on the conditions of the afore mentionned habitat in a particular river or watershed.
that's right I was wrong...something I read somewhere was actually about salmon and how they can miss the mark.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts