New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a trip up there this coming year and had a question regarding "what the population is like".For some of you who have fished them, what is the most you have caught in one day? Is it usually just one or 2 fish or are they like pickerel in my Lake here in NS where you can land over 20 (on a good day). Also are there lots of weed beds with lots of young fish in the general areas people fish for them or is it largely weed bed free.Just looking for some info.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am planning a trip up there this coming year and had a question regarding "what the population is like".For some of you who have fished them, what is the most you have caught in one day? Is it usually just one or 2 fish or are they like pickerel in my Lake here in NS where you can land over 20 (on a good day). Also are there lots of weed beds with lots of young fish in the general areas people fish for them or is it largely weed bed free.Just looking for some info.
The most I've ever heard of being caught in one boat was 7-9 muskies in one day. I can key in to any other fish pretty quick where ever I'm at, but muskies are a different creature that I've yet to get consistent at catching... if there is even such thing. Check out muskiesnb.ca Sometimes Fredericton seems hot, then it's the headpond and vice versa. It would be best to get in touch with one of the local guys and see if someone will take you out that knows some of the spots.

Muskies are nothing like pickerel. Although they can be caught shallow, I believe most people have better luck in a bit deeper water near drops, hard structures, shoals. Also the outer edges of weedlines and points. These are just things I've observed or read... I am no authority on muskies, but there are lots of guys who have at least boated a number of them.... I could write the book on stripers though!

·
Registered
184 Posts
muskies are tricky. some days you'll see a bunch and cant get them to bite. other days you'll have a bunch hit without hooking up and sometimes you'll land one or two. not to be discouraging, but you probably wont get one on your first trip. i've been muskie fishing for 3 years now and have only landed 4, however i fish almost exclusively from shore and do not have access to many of the humps and saddles and weedbeds and flats that they like to haunt here in fredericton.

that said, there is a decent muskie population here and when they want to be they can be quite catchable. your best shot at catching one is after july and gets better and better as it gets colder. late sept/october and into november has been hot here the last few years.

muskies have some similarities to pickerel and can be quite aggresive, but because they are apex predators theres not that many of them so first you have to figure out what they're up to that day (are they cruising the flats, buried in weeds, chillin at breaklines or suspended behind humps) once you have that figured out look for similar structure and it should increase your chance of a hookup. locating the fish is the hardest part. a lot of people have good luck with glide baits and spinners when casting. jakes are quite popular here too for trolling.

if you're coming to fredericton to fish let me know and i'll try my best to make sure you at least see a fish!

·
Registered
105 Posts
If your fishing Musky's from a boat and you cast and get one following your lure but not hitting it

when your lure is back at the boat, stuff your rod into the water and do a big figure 8 with about a foot and a half of line out....sometimes the Musky will hit and getting a big Musky on your rod that fresh and close is explosive.

Look up Musky Fishing Videos on YouTube....there is a wealth of information there.

Bob

FISH SAFE FOR YOUR FAMILIES.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts