New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone's gearing up for hard-water fishing and I'm looking forward to giving it a shot for the first time myself, but that's still weeks and possibly months away. Now that the boats are pretty much put away (although mine can rapidly be dug out again if a nice day suddenly pops up), I'm wondering if fishing for the most part shuts down completely for everyone at this time.

What's the options for fishing, if any, until the freeze hits?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Report from Sturgeon alley last night from 5:45 - 7:45;

- Very high water levels

- Very fast current

- Lots and lots of weeds, branches and other debris floating around

- Dark (duh!)

After our last fish this past weekend and my fish last night I can say there doesn't seem to be many strugeon biting any more. I got 1 mid sized sturgeon last night and 1 tommy cod.... not a bite outside of that. Thats a big drop of from 16 strugeon (+ 2 lost at the side of the kayak) a couple weeks ago.

I'd go out again if the weather stays mild, but not this weekend... wife is out of town and I've got the kids.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
you could still fish in the bay of fundy...but I'm not quite that crazy this time of year! lol!!

just up from the north end, between dominion park and millidgeville was open most of last winter. I started fishing it from the yak in feb last year, hooking up with hake...and seals! if we are going to get a few days of warm weather you might convince me (and probably Homebrew) to give it a try earlier this year, otherwise it's all about the ice fishing. do you have any ice fishing gear? send me a post Retroboy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
you could still fish in the bay of fundy...but I'm not quite that crazy this time of year! lol!!

just up from the north end, between dobe puttingminion park and millidgeville was open most of last winter. I started fishing it from the yak in feb last year, hooking up with hake...and seals! if we are going to get a few days of warm weather you might convince me (and probably Homebrew) to give it a try earlier this year, otherwise it's all about the ice fishing. do you have any ice fishing gear? send me a post Retroboy.
Hey I-pop I already told Retro he was welcome to come out icefishing in the shack with us,lol - I forgot to tell him he had to bring the beer though,lmao,mmmm beer - - seriously though Retro we will probably be putting the Shack out next weekend - so soon after that - you could go

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well I hope you had the chance to get on the ice. If not I would recommend you go with an outfitter. It gives you vast knowledge of the local fishing area and techniques are usually plentiful.

Henry Nguyen

Legend Boats

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
iPop and KissMyBass played host for Homebrew and I, and I learned a ton.

I got skunked - actually was using a too-heavy short rod that I found years ago at the bottom of the nerepis while kayaking, if you can believe it, and that might have contributed - and the other guys got a few. Was fun and I'm looking forward to both getting out and learning more.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I ice fish for a few species. mostly smelt, for food and bait, followed by pickerel, which are a ball through the ice, and also for hake which is slow fishing, and I guess sand sharks too, since Joe landed one when we were hake fishing. most years I would be after trout too, but with no stocking last year, i'll leave those for the kids this year. I would have been out In the kayak fishing already, but there are few launch spots with this snow and ice, and what is flowing down river makes fishing from the kayak this time of year tricky...still, if I could dry out the yak I would still be out there. anybody got an industrial size hair dryer - er, kayak dryer? lol!.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.