New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i was just wondering what would be a good brand of bait-casting reel to start out with?
i don't want to drop cash on something that's going to be garbage as Ive found out you can wast a lot on a reel.
thanks
embree

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am a fly guy but one of my fishing buddies bought what seemed like a nice baitcast set up from Canadian tire and he spent more time swearing and untangling bird nest than i spent changing flies he eventually returned it and bought a spinning set-up, so maybe spending a little more money might be worth it. hope this helps.

·
Registered
108 Posts
hey i was just wondering what would be a good brand of bait-casting reel to start out with?
i don't want to drop cash on something that's going to be garbage as Ive found out you can wast a lot on a reel.
thanks
embree
Hi embree! I have two of these, one is a Quantum ($100.), the other is a Shimano ($200.) and I will say you get what you pay for although the Quantum is ok there is no comparison, I got the Shimano Curado model 200E7 and what a joy to fish with. Now that said, these reels can be tricky to learn but once you mastered it you'll find it hard to go back, first thing, you have to get the rigth combo, so you have to get a bait casting rod to go with it or else your headed for problems with casting that want be the reel's fault and then you have to practice quite a bit in your back yard first, you have to educate your hand, mostly your thumb on the casting, there are some good teaching videos on U-tube on how to cast, proper line tension, arm movement and aiming, on what is called bird's nesting, the better reels can control this quite easy, again look on U-tube, I would by some cheap line to practice with cause your gonna mess up at first but don't get discourage as they are fun and easy once you learn how. Ron

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Hi embree! I have two of these, one is a Quantum ($100.), the other is a Shimano ($200.) and I will say you get what you pay for although the Quantum is ok there is no comparison, I got the Shimano Curado model 200E7 and what a joy to fish with. Now that said, these reels can be tricky to learn but once you mastered it you'll find it hard to go back, first thing, you have to get the rigth combo, so you have to get a bait casting rod to go with it or else your headed for problems with casting that want be the reel's fault and then you have to practice quite a bit in your back yard first, you have to educate your hand, mostly your thumb on the casting, there are some good teaching videos on U-tube on how to cast, proper line tension, arm movement and aiming, on what is called bird's nesting, the better reels can control this quite easy, again look on U-tube, I would by some cheap line to practice with cause your gonna mess up at first but don't get discourage as they are fun and easy once you learn how. Ron
I have 3 Fleugers and just love them, one is a Purist and it casts like you wouldn't believe, The key is to set the reel up properly and you won't get birds nests. Not sure where you are located but if your are in Saint John, the guy to see is Don Gallagher at Bass Tackle Plus, he can get you set up with the right combination of rod and reel for a good price and he will take you outside and show you how to set it up and cast with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have 3 Fleugers and just love them, one is a Purist and it casts like you wouldn't believe, The key is to set the reel up properly and you won't get birds nests. Not sure where you are located but if your are in Saint John, the guy to see is Don Gallagher at Bass Tackle Plus, he can get you set up with the right combination of rod and reel for a good price and he will take you outside and show you how to set it up and cast with it.
Hey yeah I'm in rothesay. Where is this bass tackle plus located. And thanks everybody for the replys they are all very helpfull and appreciated
Thanks
Embree

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've used abu's and shimano's primarily. The Abu c3 is a classic workhorse and is very durable and reasonably priced. I've also been very happy with my low profile abu revo inshore. Shimano has junk and some of the best. My curado is a nice reel, never tangles, but I do not like the fact that the levelwind doesn't oscillate with the outgoing line as I do a lot of long distance casts, even from the boat for stripers and I don't get the same distance as I do with my cheaper abu's. You won't be dissapointed with an abu c3 or c4 for the price and they are some of the most commonly used reels. If you have $150-250 spend and want a cadillac, buy a shimano, daiwa or expensive low profile abu. Stay away from okuma. I have never used the pinnacle brand baitcasters, but I was always happy with their inexpensive spinning reels that had instant antireverse and other good features. You may want to look at their products as well. I don't know about the quantum reels, but you can buy some discontinued models for 1/3rd the original price on the net.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've used abu's and shimano's primarily. The Abu c3 is a classic workhorse and is very durable and reasonably priced. I've also been very happy with my low profile abu revo inshore. Shimano has junk and some of the best. My curado is a nice reel, never tangles, but I do not like the fact that the levelwind doesn't oscillate with the outgoing line as I do a lot of long distance casts, even from the boat for stripers and I don't get the same distance as I do with my cheaper abu's. You won't be dissapointed with an abu c3 or c4 for the price and they are some of the most commonly used reels. If you have $150-250 spend and want a cadillac, buy a shimano, daiwa or expensive low profile abu. Stay away from okuma. I have never used the pinnacle brand baitcasters, but I was always happy with their inexpensive spinning reels that had instant antireverse and other good features. You may want to look at their products as well. I don't know about the quantum reels, but you can buy some discontinued models for 1/3rd the original price on the net.
What about a daiwa strikeforce. Are they anygood??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts