New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on my way back to NB to visit my family after being away for a long time. I'm going to do some fishing at the wharf in Westfield on the SJ river and some spots on the Neripis River and maybe a few brooks on the Kingston peninsula that I used to fish when I was younger. What should I expect to catch in these areas? And what would be a good choice of lures to cast? I've heard the SJ river has lots of strippers, musky and pickeral in it. Are they in the areas I'm going to be fishing?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
St John River has lots of stripers but not too many strippers. It has pickerel, smallmouth bass, salmon (not allowed to fish for them) sturgeon, a few species of trout, the muskie are further upstream

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
westfield would be for stripers mostly, maybe pickerel and yellow perch. neripis would be for pickerel and stripers at the mouth and the toilet bowl, yellow perch, some other species too - it`s really mixed. the brooks would be trout if you get lucky, chub otherwise.

for stripers think big lures, big line and rods. for pickerel...use old bass gear - lol!! they like top water and pink. for trout think worms and flies.

have a great vacation!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.
Jim I don't know where my mind was with the strippers... lol. Most of my fishing will probably be around the mouth of the neripis or the bridge at the start of the Britain Rd. Where is the toilet bowl? Near lone water farm? I'm hoping to get my hands on a boat while I'm home but I don't think it will happen. My best shot is kayaks that my parents have.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
the toilet bowl is as you thought, just up from the bridge and through the chanels from lone water farm. a popular place to fish for medium size stripers. the whole area is very accessable from kayaks, just be a bit carefull at night, the tall grass can make navigating there a bit tricky in the dark, but not to bad. it`s simpler to go up from the launch beside the causway/bridge than from lone water at least the first time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up only getting out twice in the 10 days I was there and both times were shore fishing at lone water farm. I got a few small mouth in the 2 - 3lb range and a few more in the 1lb and under range. I was really hoping to hook into a pickerel or two but I guess it wasn't in the cards for this trip. Next year I'll bring my boat and hopefully have better luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts