New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
It's tough to be certain without seeing it in person. Initially I thought it was Arctic Fox, but the hide looks a bit too thick for fox. You might have a patch of polar bear. How long are the hair fibers?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree Twinfan, hide looks too thick to be Fox.... I would say Polar Bear myself... but it's hard to be certain by photos only...

M

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's tough to be certain without seeing it in person. Initially I thought it was Arctic Fox, but the hide looks a bit too thick for fox. You might have a patch of polar bear. How long are the hair fibers?
The fibers are just under 2 inchs longs. I know its not deer. Its not caribou. I thought it was polar bear too but I went to a store and at the store the polar bear hair was a bit softer and longer.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Don't worry too much about labelling it, looks like it will make a great streamer wing material!

·
Registered
184 Posts
As long as it is not a hollow hair that flairs when you put thread tension on it, I think it will look fantastic. Try a little clump on a hook and see how it looks. If it is some sort of body hair that flairs excessively, then just spin up some white muddler minnows, trout love them!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think we all sometimes worry a bit too much about how materials look in a fly pattern. I suspect if we wound aluminum foil and dryer lint around a hook we would still catch fish - off topic, sorry. Mostly just making fun of myself when I get cranky because I tied an "ugly" fly!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I think we all sometimes worry a bit too much about how materials look in a fly pattern. I suspect if we wound aluminum foil and dryer lint around a hook we would still catch fish - off topic, sorry. Mostly just making fun of myself when I get cranky because I tied an "ugly" fly!
lol I agree about the alum foil and dryer lint! you know that would probably work! lol some of my best flies are the ones that have been torn apart by catching lots of fish on them.. for sure they out fish a new fly of the same pattern from the fly box.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
From the pics it does look like Polar Bear...and if it is, you have an exceptional patch of it!! Nice and straight with no broken tips....hang onto that!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts