New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on vacation near Fundy National Park last year and absolutely loved it. I fished Crooked Creek with no luck and would like to know some places to fish in the area and when the best time between May and September is and any other helpfull info for a successfull fishing adventure. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
I wouldn't mind knowing myself! I hear they get rainbow trout in that area somewhere.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I usually do not start fishing Crooked Creek until early July as the run-off from the mountains makes the water high and move very fast. Some people fish down in the village of Riverside-Albert earlier in the year for the sea run. I rarely fish there as I focus on Crooked Creek in the gorge for the rainbows. I have very good luck using Royal Coachmans. There are some days that you can get skunked. I know the area very well and usually have pretty good luck hitting certain pools in the system. It is a beautiful place to fish as the scenery is very nice. If you spend the entire day there it is tiring as it is hard to walk on the rocks all day but it is well worth it.

Here is one entry on my blog site that discusses Crooked Creek. It has a few pics of a couple nice rainbows I caught there. The header pic on my site is also from Crooked Creek.

Crooked Creek Blog Entry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the great info. I can't wait to get there. If anyone is planning a trip to the Niagara Region I can put you on some great Rainbow holes on the upper Niagara, 10 - 13 pounders are not uncommon. What is the best way to find out about new water in the Alma area? I am interested in Striped Bass, I have never caught one before.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Shire you might try at the creek mouth for stripers, from spring to fall with the exception of most of june would be the times. you will probably find that the st. john and it's tributaries are the most productive for stripers, especialy the bigger ones. for your first time try before dawn to about 9am. listen for the the "POCK!" sound of surface feeding stripers, then cast past or drift your gear down to them.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I usually do not start fishing Crooked Creek until early July as the run-off from the mountains makes the water high and move very fast. Some people fish down in the village of Riverside-Albert earlier in the year for the sea run. I rarely fish there as I focus on Crooked Creek in the gorge for the rainbows. I have very good luck using Royal Coachmans. There are some days that you can get skunked. I know the area very well and usually have pretty good luck hitting certain pools in the system. It is a beautiful place to fish as the scenery is very nice. If you spend the entire day there it is tiring as it is hard to walk on the rocks all day but it is well worth it.

Here is one entry on my blog site that discusses Crooked Creek. It has a few pics of a couple nice rainbows I caught there. The header pic on my site is also from Crooked Creek.

Crooked Creek Blog Entry
Hey Habs33, read your blog, nice looking area up there, nice fish too. I wouldn't mind trying it out up there, always wanted to go but have yet to make it.. don't know where to go to access the upper region of the creek. If you ever feel like being a tour guide up there, let me know I'd like to go. I live in Indian mountain, my place to riverview is about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey ipop, I have been reading the striper fishing posts and found that you are quite the legend in the area. I was thinking about getting a kayak to do some fishing. i bought a house/cottage in Upper New Horton and I am dying to get out and discover some new water and catch some nice fish. Any advise or help you or anyone else can share would be greatly appreciated. Just reading up on all the posts and learning quite a bit. It is undestandable why guys don't like to say too much and give good spots away. We have all seen the bad inconsiderate fishers ruin an area with bad fishing ediquette and poor behavior. Being from the over crowded Niagara Region in Ontario I find your province is a paradise and can't wait to retire there. Thanks again and I hope to see you on the water

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Habs33 - thanks for the info I checked out your site great info. Can you take a kayak up crooked creek? or is it strictly for walking and wading? Do a lot of guys kayak fish around the area?

·
Registered
107 Posts
You can use a kayak on Shepody river. It has rainbow trout. Crooked creek flows into shepody river. You can fish in Long Marsh creek for stripers. LOckhart lake has stripers. Just ask the local people for
spots to go fishing.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Shire... if you are interested in meeting up with a number of local kayak anglers, then you should definitely check out the kayak fishing tournaments that are planned for this summer. There is one near Saint John (Hammond River Classic) and another near Oromocto (NB Paddler's Fishing Derby). Great fishing, great folks, great prizes and great fun!

If you haven't seen the info, check out the details in this thread:
http://newbrunswickfishing.com/forums/index.php?/topic/607-cka-cross-canada-tour/

·
Registered
492 Posts
Oh, and since you are from the Niagra region: These two tournaments are part of the Canadian Kayak Anglers Cross-Canada Tour, and there is another tournament in Windsor Ontario!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BobD thaks for the reply, I don't even have a yak yet and don't know much about yak fishing. The only time I have ever been in one was at the Bennett :ake rentals last summer and had fun just cruising around the little lake. I am interested in possibly buying a used one this summer when I am in the area.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Shire... I know for a fact that you will be able to rent kayaks at the NB Paddler's Fishing Derby in June. There will also be a ton of demos there from ECo-Logical Adventures for you to try out and test to see what you like. A great opportunity if you are looking at buying kayaks. He also sells used kayaks. And hey, there will be a draw to win a new kayak! Every paid registration into the tournament gets a ticket in the draw!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts