New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if someone can help. I am trying to figure out what fly should be used for the different times of the season, like at the beginning of the season right through to the end, dry vs wet.
I've only been fly fishing for a couple of years and trying to figure this out, I have been catching fish but I am sometimes unsure if I am using the right fly for the job

the other day for example I was out with a friend of mine and there was not much action on the water you would only see a fish jump once in a while, there was also not alot of flies flying around, I tried wet, dry, but I am not sure if I was doing the right thing

any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated

thank you

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was just wondering if someone can help. I am trying to figure out what fly should be used for the different times of the season, like at the beginning of the season right through to the end, dry vs wet.
I've only been fly fishing for a couple of years and trying to figure this out, I have been catching fish but I am sometimes unsure if I am using the right fly for the job

the other day for example I was out with a friend of mine and there was not much action on the water you would only see a fish jump once in a while, there was also not alot of flies flying around, I tried wet, dry, but I am not sure if I was doing the right thing

thank you
You may want to join in on the "How many flies do you really need" thread under Salmon fishing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you subscribe to Doug Underhill's email column, he sends out a weekly summary of salmon fishing throughout various parts of the Miramichi system, along with popular patterns in use at the time. This should give you some guidance. You will note that some patterns remain popular and in use throughout the season and others are popular at specific times duting the season. For example, White tailed Green Machines are popular throughout the season while Ally's Shrimps or General Practitioners are popular in the fall around this time of the year.

Contact [email protected] for specifics about registering for his report.

·
Registered
298 Posts

thank you
Hey fish, are you talking trout or salmon ? I know you have all the flies needed for trout. If your talking salmon I don't understand your post.. ?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking for any info on salmon and trout. like at the begining of the season we use a certain fly and at the middle of the season we use another, and in the fall we use another. I should have stated for fishing trout and salmon. I was pointed to a good thread "How many flies do you really need" this is the sort of info I was looking for, but not just for salmon but also for trout.

Yes I have a lot of trout and salmon lies but do I really need all of them trying to have a nice arrangement and sort them out in my box because I have all my flies together and is a little overwelming to me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts