New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The New Brunswick Department of Natural Resources, they call what they do sport fishery managment.
Do you think they are doing a good job of it or a lousy job. For example I've heard fisherman say they should increase the daily bag limit for trout , they say five isn't worth buying a licence for, I guess they remember the days when you used to be able to keep 15 trout a day. other guys say the limit should be decreased more than it is now.

What about restocking, we all have to pay a restocking fee when we buy a fishing licence, do you guys think they are doing a good job of restocking in NB.

I remember using live minnows for bait, they were excellent bait, now it is illeagal to use them.

Another thing is night fishing, a lot of states and some provinces allow night fishing, but here it's against the law

I'm sure there are many other concerns that we NB fisherman have that I haven't thought of, these are just a few questions I've been thinking about for a while, want to see if anyone has any opinions on them.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yes it upsets me that I pay stocking fee and the province sales all there fish hatchery. I would like to see more stocking , not just trout or salmon but other types of fish . I would also like to see night fishing. I also feel they need to check wiers and eel traps more closely. I've seen first hand the bye catch and what they do with it , it gets tossed in the woods . 1 eel trap I found off our shore had 8 turtles in it along with large number of perch and other fish. , A week later I was to the shore and found a pile of dead fish and dead turtles . And yes I did report it .I know there short staffed but the need to hire more and mange our resourse before it to far gone and we have no resourse.

·
Registered
53 Posts
They are managing it?? Not sure where, maybe the big salmon water where there is tourist money, as far as the rest of the province it is sadly lacking. So much great water that should hold a lot more fish of decent size, Hammond river is a prime example. There is more to managing than setting bag limits and seasons. There needs to be more river restoration and construction to hold water, along with a strict catch and release,barbless,no bait program for at least five years and see how the trout and salmon populations make out. Do this on one or two rivers and see how it goes. Then, based on the results, follow up with a stocking program. Having said all that, a fishery is only as good as those who use it. No matter how well it is managed if the fishermen dont take care of it no matter how much money you throw at it, it will fail. Having been heavily involved with Trout Unlimited i can say first hand there is a lot more that can be done.

I can only speak about trout and salmon as i do not know much about the other fisheries we have.

Just my two cents for what its worth.

I would rather catch him 5 times than eat him once.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I know that the DNR is short staffed.The government cuts everything that does not have big money involved. Insted of giving tax breaks to big companies and giving them free money, they should insted take that money and put it hiering new personel for the DNR, funding for river clean ups and restoration. Sadly the only thing that talks is money.

As for limits, I agree that it should be catch and release only for five or ten years. Where I am from, the mentality of 90 % of the people that fish is "Catch everything you can, sell it, waist it, just as long as no one else gets it!"I've seen personally, people jigging for trout at or local worph, with treble hooks the size of anchors, that not fishing,that's destroying the trout population. Not forgetting the by catch of flounder, that people just kill and throw back. At a certain times, it looks like a flounder graveyard. I've complained at the DNR, they send someone once and that's it! They are short staffed, and no money and funding to do anything!

I believe that a lot of the problems start with a lot of the people that fish!There should be education about preserving our fisheries.When you want a hunting license, it is not mandatory to take a safety course? Why not educated people, who want to fish, the same way?I know some will say that the government is in our wallets enough, but I wouldn't mind paying a little more if it would mean that it would save our fisheries. Most of the ones that would complain are not real sportsmen anyway,and they are the ones that poach and litter, and when there is nothing left, they are the ones that complain that no one has done anything.

The DNR and other organizations can only do so much! It's up to the people to make a difference! If we just close our eyes and look the other way, it's only going to get worse!The government can give us the tools, but it's up to us to do something. Not just complain about the government not doing anything!If anyone wants to do something about this,I am willing to help as much as I possibly can!

I believe that if the government sees that we want to do something, and we speak loud enough, they will help!It's just up to us to do something, like this site for example, we can talk about the important stuff like this,let's get together and do something!

·
Registered
79 Posts
The New Brunswick Department of Natural Resources, they call what they do sport fishery managment.
Do you think they are doing a good job of it or a lousy job. For example I've heard fisherman say they should increase the daily bag limit for trout , they say five isn't worth buying a licence for, I guess they remember the days when you used to be able to keep 15 trout a day. other guys say the limit should be decreased more than it is now.

What about restocking, we all have to pay a restocking fee when we buy a fishing licence, do you guys think they are doing a good job of restocking in NB.

I remember using live minnows for bait, they were excellent bait, now it is illeagal to use them.

Another thing is night fishing, a lot of states and some provinces allow night fishing, but here it's against the law

I'm sure there are many other concerns that we NB fisherman have that I haven't thought of, these are just a few questions I've been thinking about for a while, want to see if anyone has any opinions on them.
not even close to happy here. lets give up on IBFS (Inner bay of fundy salmon) although declared endangered by the feds, the problem is not survival in the rivers it is survival in the bay and if the gov won't outlaw the salmon farms then forget about wasting money and resources on restocking these systems. I say bring in the rainbows! IBFS has taken 20 years already...it's not working.!

·
Registered
428 Posts
not even close to happy here. lets give up on IBFS (Inner bay of fundy salmon) although declared endangered by the feds, the problem is not survival in the rivers it is survival in the bay and if the gov won't outlaw the salmon farms then forget about wasting money and resources on restocking these systems. I say bring in the rainbows! IBFS has taken 20 years already...it's not working.!
Who is restocking inner bay of fundy salmon in numbers that are going to make a difference? They have to put in huge numbers of stocked fish at the correct age, at the right time of year or else they are wasting their time stocking anything. They used to stock a lot of trout in the hammond, fishing was great when they got up to 8-16" range, but now there are much fewer because there is no stocking and these fish have been taken or died of natural causes. Stocking has to be continuous and if they want to stop stocking, they have to continiously monitor to determine population levels.

The hell with the rainbows... you just have to trek into the woods a little further to get the big brookies. Oh ya, look at all the browns and landlocks in loch lomond... full of disease! Bacterial Kidney Disease may wipe them out. The rainbows that were in the Kennebecasis and other rivers around here never maintained a population of any size. They would need to be restocked over and over again. Only some waters in the Shepody area have done well with the rainbows because they were continously stocked many many years ago.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Who is restocking inner bay of fundy salmon in numbers that are going to make a difference? They have to put in huge numbers of stocked fish at the correct age, at the right time of year or else they are wasting their time stocking anything. They used to stock a lot of trout in the hammond, fishing was great when they got up to 8-16" range, but now there are much fewer because there is no stocking and these fish have been taken or died of natural causes. Stocking has to be continuous and if they want to stop stocking, they have to continiously monitor to determine population levels.

The hell with the rainbows... you just have to trek into the woods a little further to get the big brookies. Oh ya, look at all the browns and landlocks in loch lomond... full of disease! Bacterial Kidney Disease may wipe them out. The rainbows that were in the Kennebecasis and other rivers around here never maintained a population of any size. They would need to be restocked over and over again. Only some waters in the Shepody area have done well with the rainbows because they were continously stocked many many years ago.
I've heard there are rainbows in big/little salmon river...is that true? The land locks in Loch Lommond were never stocked I don't think... Loch Lommond used to the the headwater of the mispec river before the dam. Of course the browns came from scotland.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Also I'd be willing to pay more for a license if DNR/DFO could demonstrate a clear plan.There needs to be better transparency.
There needs to be more enforcement, tougher punishments, larger min size in river trout (say 16" and require a salmon tag)
more open water in salmon rivers...the crown has to buy any property that becomes available.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This topic has been something my fishing buddies and I talk about on occasion. What they do here in New Brunswick isn't fish management it's fish mis-management.

The restocking fee we pay when buying a fishing licence is in my opnion another tax, yes they do stock certain lakes in NB, but there are still a lot of lakes they never put a fish in. My opinion is that they use a lot of that money to stock waters around where fishing lodges are, so the rich americans will continue to come up here and spend their money.

As far as using minnows for bait, I used them for years, this is another stupid law, I can see the reason for not carrying live minnows from one lake to another, so as not to introduce minnows into a lake that didn't previously have them, but there isn't anything wrong with using live minnows into the lake you plan to fish in.

I could go on about all of the idiotic fishing laws in NB, but I won't, I will say I wrote a letter to the minister of natural resources last summer on this very subject, I have yet to receive a reply.

I believe a lot of the laws are in place just so they can catch you and make you pay a fine, not for the good of the fish.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The DNR is the anus of the provincial departments. They get hardly anything. They have no money to do anything with and have hardly no staff. All it's been has been cut backs and more cut backs. It seems all that is cared about is the Miramichi river system and salmon. Probably because it's been the main money maker for tourism.

The woods is all being cut down which is definitely not helping any rivers or streams. We pay a conservation fee and another restocking fee. The province thinks this is a quick fix.

They need to hire more people. Not just wardens but also professionals for research and to obtain data based on trial programs on various rivers and streams. They also need to get away from this crazy forestry industry which has ruined the habitat for all of New Brunswick. There is so much to be done and no money to do it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
One thought may be why stock a lake or river when it is at it's capacity with natural fish? I know we all love to fish but if you go and stock a place that is already doing good on its own you just risk loosing the natural stocks of that system just so we can catch more fish? This is not Ontario, we do not need a put and take fishery in every system. As for the IBoF rivers and salmon, the numbers are coming up slowly. I have read that these rivers rely on a very complex genetics program to keep the stock in these rivers as original as possible. I am guessing this is because you wouldn't just want to flood the systems with non native stocks and risk loosing the stocks that have evolved there over a long period of time. Also Parks Canada is doing alot of research in the Fundy Park Rivers to find what restocking strageties work best. They are finding the earlier you expose a fish to the wild the better chance it will have to make it to smolt and return to spawn so I see they are releasing thousands of un fed fry each year. This makes sense if you think about it. If you take a human child and it learns to speak by 3 or 4 years of age you could remove it from life put it in a bubble for 20 years and it won't forget how to speak but if a child from birth was put in a bubble for the first 3 or 4 years of life then was put into society it would never learn to speak. I guess things take time, and good things come to those who wait. So lets wait and see and I believe that we will see the mighty salmon return to the IBoF rivers someday.

·
Registered
79 Posts
conservthis: Good post. I've also done some research on the iBoF salmon since my last post. I'm really interested in the Point Wolfe river experiment in fundy park. They released mature salmon(genetically preserved iBoF salmon raised in farms), some with tracking technology to see if they would go up inner bay rivers to spawn. Last I heard some did. Full results of the experiment are due out- hopefully I'll get some e-mail replys soon. If this method turns out to be viable it may be the answer- that is if the conditions that lead to the decline of the stock in the first place no longer exists. They will be able to farm thousands of salmon and realse them into the bay. Once the fish are abundant enough to school again the stocks will regenerate on their own. Or so the theory goes anyway. Anyhow the salmon are DFO territory and we are suppose to be talking about DNR.

Well it's like this- we don't like paying taxes. They manage the best they can with the resources they have. Since we don't want to pay more taxes I'd suggest a volunteer force of inforcement officers, sort of like a volunteer fire department. Volunteers would be properly vetted and trained, and have the authority to inforce the regulations. Sign me up! Oh and I'll be wanting a gun too!!!!!!!!!!

Dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts