New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fly Fishermen

As the new fishing season fast approaches I was wondering what you tied today or have tied in the past few days.

I have tied 3 midge pupa and 3 black midge pupa size 20 so far today.
I have tied disco midges and small brassies with white beads all in sizes from 20 - 16.
Tied 9 suspended midges from size 16 - 12. A few insults and some griffiths gnat in size 16.

These are all for trout and steelhead fishing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
[quote name='Dragon' date='09 April 2011 - 08:26 AM' timestamp='1302351989' post='5651']
Hello Fly Fishermen

As the new fishing season fast approaches I was wondering what you tied today or have tied in the past few days.

I have tied 3 midge pupa and 3 black midge pupa size 20 so far today.
I have tied disco midges and small brassies with white beads all in sizes from 20 - 16.
Tied 9 suspended midges from size 16 - 12. A few insults and some griffiths gnat in size 16.

These are all for trout and steelhead fishing.
[/quote
hi there,

questiong, where do you fish steelhead/bows around here ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am actually going to be going to PEI for the lobster season and while the fish I am after are just Bows that have been in fresh and salt both not true steelheads. I am pretty sure there are bows in the Bartibog river as well. Haven't done to much fishing around here yet.

Have you tied any flies today DrunkToad?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i finished a renous special last night. in the last couple days i also did a grey ghost, a xmas tree, a couple mickey fin's and a silver flash. i'm slow! i was having thread breaking problems but finaly remembered to adjust the bobbin, which took care of that. i have no tention feel - bad arms.

i can't see to tie on anything smaller than a 14, let alone tie one...!lol! it does make fly selection a little easier - lol!!

right now i'm primarily tieing for salmon - atlantics (blacks right now) and land lochs. earlier this winter i was tieing for stripers, some realy big flies, mostly tinsel style.

i started a seperate couple fly boxes for barbless flies for the miramichie, with it clearly marked on the box from every direction, on the thought of if i don't take barbed ones i won't forget to pinch the barb when in go to use them there. of course, i always buy a few while i'm there....!
it's amazing how much time and money you can invest for a couple days fishing. tieing your own certainly helps, and it's a fishy thing to do in the off season.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ive tied a lot in teh last week or so, mostly black salmon flies and a few trout streamers, yesterday morning before work i tied 3 black ghosts, a few homemade black salmon patterns, two mickey finns , a magog smelt and bass popper...ive got enough black salmon flies to do me now, and have a lot of trout flies from last year so ill be starting to make a bunch of smallmouth/pickerel flies and a few shad flies for early summer

·
Registered
161 Posts
This morning I tied a orange, green, and red deer hair bass popper on a weedless hook.

Yesturday I tied two size 4 mickey finns, a white deer hair bomber with white hackle, a mouse rat, and a few royal wulffs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got back from a night spent in Moncton. Going to try and tie some pheasant tail chironomids tonight from 12 down to 18.

Went to Eskape Angles also and met Bryant. A very nice fellow and just wish I would have bought some of my more expensive items like rods and vises from him because either he was pulling my leg or giving me some serious deals. Also got a nice Herbert Pro-Grade Saddle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
She is a smart woman!u Will soon learn that tying is more expensive but way more rewarding. , especially when u catch a fish on ur own fly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts