New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi members and guests I'm looking to take my family salt water fishing ( I have never done this before ) I live in Moncton would just like to know of a place where we could go any tips as far as what to expect to catch and what gear to use would be nice. If not wanting to post places here please send me a PM. Looking to go within the next 2 weeks. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i think the closest to you there would be in the richibucto area along the coast. cape lumiere i believe. we used to drive the coast all day, stopping and trying every wharf and pier along the way, looking for a hot bite.

·
Registered
28 Posts
point du chene warf in shediac has mackerel I havent been there in a few years but there was always people fishing for them there in the later summer months.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
For mackerel, go here http://www.lau.chs-shc.gc.ca/cgi-bin/tide-shc.cgi?queryType=showFrameset&zone=4&language=english&region=4&stnnum=1805 to check out the tides. Try the Shediac Bay one, for example. Then, look when it's high tide (or low tide) and note the time of day. You will want to fish an hour before (high or low) up to an hour after (prime time being right when the tide is slack). Then, head to the Pointe-du-Chêne wharf in Shediac and have at 'er! Just go to any tackle shop and ask for mackerel jigs, or we used to catch them off the wharf with shiners and a bobber with about six feet of line below the bobber.

For anything else, just fish off the bottom and see what you pull up. If you catch a spiney sculpin, just be careful not to get stung by the prongs sicking out the sides of its head. At sunset and beyond is when it's best for these other critters. When it's pretty much dark, position yourself under a street light on a wharf and fish about one foot to two feet for smelts. When you manage to finally get your first one, open it up and you'll notice a part of its guts that is white and "Y" shaped. We call it the white gut. Cut it in about 3 or 4 peices and start fishing with that, and that's when you'll be getting smelts by the douzens.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
they are right de chene is closer. i forgot all about that one. i fish most of my mack`s as far away as you can get from moncton on either coast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts