New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi wanting information on the fishing rules here in NB regarding weight on a fly.

The book you get when you get your license refers to fly fishing as using an unweighted line.
So I guess that means no split shot on your leader?
Bead Heads (weighted flies) ok though right?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, I'm not a ranger or a lawyer, but that's exactly how I read the regs and that's how I fish. The internet is always a sketchy place to get legal advice from...

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
yup, you have it right. it gets really weird with things like lead eyes....
and what does "dressed hook" mean...exactly?! and does flysink count...?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
oh, and you have to call it a bead head, if you say weighted fly suddenly it's against the rules.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yes you can use weighted forward and sinking tippets etc, but the rules say

"Fly Fishing
• To cast upon the water and retrieve in the usual and ordinary manner an unbaited, unweighted artificial fly attached to a line to which no weight has been added. Trolling with artificial flies is permitted."

Note the NO WEIGHT HAS BEEN ADDED

·
Registered
91 Posts
The band on weighted flies is because it makes it easier to jig fish, since weighted lines don't provide the same advantage they are allowed. The guys are right about legal interpretations especially when in comes to adding things like eyes, since some metal eyes do add enough weight to sink a fly well enought to turn it into a jigging hook.I've never had much luck salmon fishing with flies with eyes other than jungle cock. I've tried plastic eyes of differing clours, but no luck other then in the fall with the Larry the Lobster fly.The bass do like them and I've had varying results with the sea trout runs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
yeah... i knew about those laws....just in april and may when the water gets really high there i would maybe use it but never after the brights are in...

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
the no weight added is for all fly fishing here, not just scheduled waters. that's how they define fly fishing for the whole province guys, page 3 of the book. only barbed or barbless and single or double hook flies change per area.

·
Registered
85 Posts
the no weight added is for all fly fishing here, not just scheduled waters. that's how they define fly fishing for the whole province guys, page 3 of the book. only barbed or barbless and single or double hook flies change per area.
You have the correct definition for fly fishing in scheduled waters. Anywhere that isn't scheduled you can use weighted flies or split-shots on the tippet/leader to sink the fly. You can bait fish and use spinners.

Example: Bartibog is scheduled from April 15th - 30th and after Sept. 15th.

From May 1rst to Sept 14th you are allowed to use spinning combos or use flyfishing methods including weighted flys and weight on the leaders.

To tell someone you can't use a weighted fly for fly fishing but you can use a 1/8th ounce bell sinker for bait fishing is kinda silly.

I am just waiting for the day when they outlaw Tenkara fishing on scheduled waters because you don't use a reel with that method of fly-fishing.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
dragon, it says it's the rule for fly fishing, but as you say, it sure doesn't stop there. from what i can see, they don't consider it fly fishing if you are using a fly on a rig in an unlimited gear area to fish. so a spinner and fly or weighted fly or dodger and fly, etc. is allowed in non scheduled waters (salmon or not - hammond etc.) in open times but is not a legal method of "fly fishing" by their definition. so you are right. i just can't yet get my head around the idea of being out on 7 mile lake, using an 8' fly rod, reel and fly, and because i add a split shot (something i've never done), i suddenly wouldn't be fly fishing....weird!
as you mentioned, i wonder what happens when you leave something out - like the reel or rod.

here's an even trickier one. can a hook with power bait, or other artifical like a mini tube, be considered a fly? i would say not, but i found myself having a hard time defending that stance to some one the other day. from what i can see, it would be controled by the definition of "dressed"
and "artifial". i think when the rules were writen nobody had thought of artifical worms or other bait substitutes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That is a good point ipop.

I have been in other provinces and have seen epoxy and tube flys being used along with nymphs, wets, drys, and weighted flys. They are definitely something altogether different from the standard dry flies that have been used for centuries.

I have asked some local flyshops and have gotten different answers about beadhead nymphs. I asked Doaks about beadheads one day and the young fellow behind the counter just said not allowed and wouldn't even talk to me anymore. Very rude of him. Well I won't go back there and they probably don't care one whit. I went to the Troutriver Flyshop (might have gotten the name wrong) and he said as long as they were small nymphs like a size 14 and smaller he said he considered them to be fine. I think some new regulations should be drawn up. As the whole excuse about nymphs jigging fish I say BS. Any fly of any type on any water way in the world could be used to jig fish or jig fish accidently. I have jigged fish commercially for mackerel and it is the motion and how you manipulate the flys that actually jigs the fish. Streamer fishing I think is probably worse for jigging than any other method of fly fishing. The whole retrieval of the streamer is to make the fly look like a fish or a leech and the movement causes the fish to attack or follow the fly. Now sometimes a trout or salmon will brush up against the fly and you will strip or jerk it and what ends up happening is you jig it. You aren't jigging for fish but that is what happens sometimes. Same can happen when a fish attacks a dry fly and rolls away from it at the last second and you pull on it jigging the fish. Purely a mistake. Now if they were truely worried about jigging they would outlaw fishing completely.

I understand why the are worried about salmon being jigged and it makes sense to outlaw jigging not whole spectrums of the fly fishing sport. Anyway I just use dries on scheduled waterways and when I am in non-scheduled waterways I may use nymphs, drys, and just keep trying and changing my method until something works and a trout will bite the hook. I really like nymphing and it is great fun and out of the hundreds of fish I have caught very few have ever been jigged. I just think there may be some misunderstanding of different fly fishing methods and instead of learning about them it is easier to ban them and just keep doing what you always have done.

Now an accomplished tenkarra fisherman is said to be able to outfish a normal fly fisherman 7 to 1. Meaning for every fish caught on a normal fly rod 7 could be caught using the tenkara rod and method. This is a centuries old method of fly fishing from Japan that has been used by the Samurai as a method for honing their sword fighting skills but it is relatively new here much the same as nymphing was back in the 80's. It is a very simple method of fishing and uses a 16' rod with 16' feet of line and tippet and all you do is just keep floating the fly by the fish until it takes. Almost seems like cheating in a way.

That became way to long

Sorry about that.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
the tenkarra is similiar to dabbleing, one of my most productive and easy ways to work a small stream - smaller rod, less line, dabbleing is almost pure dry fly/top water. tenkarra looks like an obvious progression from there. i'll have to get myself one of those rods, i'm not sure how i would do landing a striper on it, but it woud be a ball to try!!!! yahooo!!! lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts