New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
97 Posts
I go fishing whenever I can regardless of water temperature or weather, but I was wondering if anyone can shed light on water temperature and the direct correlation to getting fish to feed? I have googled for information and I understand the relationship between water temp and dissolved O2 but I was wondering if anyone has kept a log of such variables and if it actually makes all the difference in the world?

I found the following information, but does this look right?

·
Banned
65 Posts
I read an article yesterday that said anything over 68F(20C)not worth fishing trout. I'd say your chart is fairly accurate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know a thing or 2 about trout fishing, check out my profile picture, and your diagram is bang on. You should get it laminated or memorise it or tatoo it to your arm, because when you can determine those temperatures in a river, in particular in the summer, you will find the big trout. I always fish with an infrared thermometer, point and shoot, and I get my temps instantly. Wanna be a good and succesful trout angler, discover where the spots are with these temperatures. I call it the sweet spot, 15C, mid summer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'd say those figures are bang-on from my own observations.I think stream temps in terms of Farenheit,but a quick conversion suggests the "Ideal" range above is pretty much right on.I flyfish only 100% from April 15th throughout the season,but I would guess the same would apply to bait and spinners?The earliest week or two here from mid April onward I've found most streams will be running around the low 40's.Trout are lethargic in those temps and not apt to move too far to take an offering.Deep and slow fished nymphs or bouncing a beadhead bugger will pick up a few fish in the 40 degree temps,but it's generally slow going.You pretty much gotta bump them on the nose in these cold conditions.50F(10C) is the magic number IMHO and that's when it's like somebody flicked a switch and they turn on,usually closer to the 1st of May in s.NB.Once it gets into the low-mid 50's(May 1st?) trout will be alot more active and willing to chase muddlers,small streamers etc.,and rise to dries on the warm days that have some hatch activity.That can vary from one stream to another depending on how much snow and ice remains in a particulair watershed to keep the stream temp cool.Slow moving,black bottomed beaver streams for instance will warm up first.

At the other end of the temp spectrum,again,it looks right to me?68-70ishF(15C)river temps is right around where it starts to become really tough fishing for trout and salmon and you're best bet is to seek out cooler,springfed,shaded streams etc. or fish in the main stem of rivers right where and just below the cold tribs dump in.Salmon in particulair will seek out the cool tribs and nose right up to the mouth of brooks to wait out the hot spells.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, this year I plan to fish a heck of a lot until the end of June, then whenever I can, and I plan to keep a detailed journal with collected variables. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
132 Posts
great post now this is the kind of info everybody needs to know, if everybody knew this mabey there will be less people fishing when the temps get to hot and stress the fish so much they die
thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts