New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, my dad bought a cottage on french lake near lakeville corner and i was wondering if anyone knew the general depth of the lake and up the portobello creek area was? We have a 18 ft lowe deep v and are hoping to get after some of those toothy critters this spring. tks Rod

·
Registered
438 Posts
This time of year...bout 30 feet lol...in the summer the lake ranges from 3-10 mostly, deeper in the main channel,its not a very deep lake but i dont think there is a single rock in the whole lake, ive seen some pretty big boats back into portobello, only issue seems to be weeds on the motor, most places im sure you would be fine

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This time of year...bout 30 feet lol...in the summer the lake ranges from 3-10 mostly, deeper in the main channel,its not a very deep lake but i dont think there is a single rock in the whole lake, ive seen some pretty big boats back into portobello, only issue seems to be weeds on the motor, most places im sure you would be fine
tks pond jumper sounds like u know the lake well , whats your boat look like, if we see u out some day we'll say hello

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have a 15 foot skeeter bass boat with a 115 hp mariner, in the summer I can only get to the start of portabelo creek.. water is way to low, with the motor trimmed all the way up it churns up mud.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 15 foot skeeter bass boat with a 115 hp mariner, in the summer I can only get to the start of portabelo creek.. water is way to low, with the motor trimmed all the way up it churns up mud.
wow could be tricky then, we also have a 115hp and she takes at least 3 ft , how far in is the good pickeral fishing, would it be too far to use the electric?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow could be tricky then, we also have a 115hp and she takes at least 3 ft , how far in is the good pickeral fishing, would it be too far to use the electric?
chadman do u have any problem gettin through to maquapit lake and which waterway do u follow? Also is there pickeral all over french and indian lake or do most people target the portebello creek, i'm not looking for any secret holes or anything just curious if there everywhere. Never been on the lake but hoping to figure it out this summer, like i said hoping,lol

·
Registered
576 Posts
we put in at sand point rd .. you can easily get from there to maquapit, never had any water depth issues between french lake and maquapit.. however when you go under the bridge that takes you on the narrow water way between the 2 bodies of water.. the pillars for the old bridge are just under the water, you need to navigate at the right spot or you'll hit the bottom of the boat or worse ruin a prop.

THere is a closer boat launch, before you cross the first green steel bridge there is a public access boat launch right next to the water way that goes between french and maquapit

on indian, french and maquapit lakes, there is pickerel everywhere... i have no special spot.. basically find some weeds and start casting..

lures.. I use bass spinner baits and my brother uses a lure called a coffee or tea spoon.. it has the red bells on it with a big blade and a treble hook... get size 4 or 5.. they are deadly!

I like the bass spinner bait as I find them more weedless than the coffee spoons.

·
Registered
576 Posts
oops.. sorry.. go under the second bridge.. that would if you are travelling from the old highway in to the lakes, before you get to the first bridge that is where the public launch is... put boat in and navigate over to the second bridge, follow that water way and it will take you to maquapit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
both will take you to maquapit, however I don't know how deep the water is in the first waterway
tks alot chadman, wer starting to know the area pretty good as we wer over a few times through the winter ice fishing, but its great to have sites like this to talk to people who have experience on the water and love to fish as much as i do. I really appreciate the help as this info will save me time trying to figure things out and give me more time fishing. I'll keep an eye out for the skeeter this summer... tks again

·
Registered
576 Posts
no pro pei fisher, i'm sure you'll enjoy the area... I had a chance last summer to buy an acre on the water there, was talked out of it.. now kicking myself in the butt for not buying it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no pro pei fisher, i'm sure you'll enjoy the area... I had a chance last summer to buy an acre on the water there, was talked out of it.. now kicking myself in the butt for not buying it.
i dont suppose it was the property on ladybug lane, thats the one dad bought its beautifulthere, if so sorry bout that

·
Registered
576 Posts
nope, i see on google earth where lady bug lane is, nice spot by the way.. the property I was looking at is at the end of sand point road, the properties on the right when you get to the lake, there was a lane in there and they were selling 2, 1 acre lots.. hoping they come up for sale again

·
Registered
169 Posts
Is there bass in there anywhere? And when is the tourney this year? Wouldn't mind entering both tourneys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts