New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just wanting some info on the Walmart or canadiantire striper rods are they any good? They can handle 30lb test and lures up to 4oz. I know that they aren't going to be the best but might leave some extra cash for other gear that I need as I am just getting in to the stripers

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
They are a good starting point, especially if you are just getting into it. You are going to have to put a lot of hours in fishing for stripers and if you decide to stay with it you will want to get something better, but if you don't stay with it you haven't lost that much. If you do buy one, don't use the line that is on them, it is garbage and won't take anything to break. Hope this helps and good luck with the fishing.

·
Registered
185 Posts
i'd suggest you get to the calais walmart, pick up a penn fierce combo, they sell them for 79 bucks, a prime setup and the price is foolish, considering the reel itself costs 69 at basspro!!!. that is of course if your able to get down there.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
For $79 bucks or less, I'd go to Doiron Sports in SJ. They have a nice Okuma combo for stripers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would steer clear of the no name rod/reel combo, from the posts above decent combos from legitimate reel makers (Penn, Okuma) can be found for <$100. It would be money well spent and you'd be happier with them in the long run.

·
Registered
185 Posts
just checked walmarts site, they have the Penn frc2000 combo for 79.00, the frc5000 for 89.00 (prob the best choice) and the frc8000 for 99.
they are gorgeous combos!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That must be Walmart in the states. Bought a combo there last night 47 dollors seems to be ok for just starting out also got some 50lb braid today going to go out tonight and try casting from a wharf in the area I have some buck tails, storm eels , a couple striper rigs, and some other large rappalas any idea what to try first? I thought I might try some smelt on the bass rig has anyone ever had any luck this way. I know trolling would be better but I don't have a boat yet any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
it`s easiest on the gear if you work from the top down in the water column, then by price, lol! so normally i would say, from your selection, the rapalas first, but they are also you most expesive lures...sooooo start with the bucktails. you can swim them in top water, then try lift and dropping them in next, then work them off the bottom. if you get them back...then try the storm eels (basic cast and retrieve or the drop and lift ). if you get all of them back from the river, try the rapalas next. if you didn't, try the bait rigs. then visa versa.
a couple of floating crank baits would complete your selection. from shore where striper are, sometimes it's the only thing you can fish with (and poppers too). try bombers in 6 or 7", shallow running (good price, good lures). some lures like the biggest husky jerk rapalas will work for you to, but be aware, they are suspending...!

smelt, gaspereaux, mackerel all make good fish bait for stripers. use either whole, half, fillettes or thumb size chunks all work at times. shellfish work too, as does squid.

save yourself some frustration and money and use 3-6' of mono or floro as a leader, 30-40lb. it gives you a shock leader for the hit, good abrasion resistance for the nasty structure, and if it gets stuck on bottom, better to lose the leader than your expensive braid. use some crazy glue on the knot, braid and mono combined can slip if you don't.

another thing to watch for is when you get to striper size spinning reels, you are supposed to close the bail back yourself by hand after casting, not just crank the handle to pop the bail back over like you do with smaller reels. if you don't, the reel will last less than half as long as it should.

what general area are you striper fishing Trouter?

·
Registered
129 Posts
i used to buy rods from walmart and canadian tire but since last year i broke 3 rods striper fishing i started to build my own rods....i built a 8' rod for using lure that weights around 6.5 ounces and my next project coming up is a 13 foot surf rod and if it goes well with this one ill probly start to sell some...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks ipop for the advice Ill be mainly fishing the river from gagetown all the way up to Fredericton from the wharfs mainly and my buddy has a scanoe we use from time to time the both of us are just getting into striper fishing. I know the fish are in all parts of the river so I can't see why they can't be caught from the wharfs

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
wharfs are good spots, especialy if they cause a current rip on the in or out going tide. it also lets you get out to deeper water to work those big rapalas too, instead of getting them caught just off shore.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
yup Rej, you can go through rods and reels striper fishing. i bought a whole box of them a little while ago but i still pick up some when i find a good one or a good price. it makes it easier on the arms if you can switch back and forth between 9, 8 and 7 foot rods. i also have a 14` surf rod, which is nice but can be a hand full, you also need to use the bigger, heavier lures to really get it to show it`s stuff, like the 9" storms and big poppers. the surf rods are not the easiest to use from the kayak - lol! i switch down to a 6-7` ugly stick for that.

·
Registered
129 Posts
yeah.....im planning to make a few rods this summer....did 1 already as i posted on my profile the blank is for a8 foot 20-40# line and 2-6 ounce lures....with alloy reel seat and titanium oxide guides on....plus lifetime warranty on the blanks.....those for walmart are probly juste up to 1 3/4 ounce lure with 30 day warranty.........haha

·
Registered
129 Posts
ive tried smelt already but nothing hit....i found that mackerel and squid works best and gaspereau.... but also caught some with herring, shad, ....ive been fishing from shore all last year...this year im trying trolling in the kennebacasis

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
what sort of price are you paying for your rod blanks Rej?

·
Registered
129 Posts
for the blank i have now its 110.00 for the blankand my blank weights around 5.5 ounces.. for the 8 foot.......blanks for surf rods are little more around 235.00 i think it is.... but its good for lures up to 16 ounces...but theres all sorts of blanks....all depends wich brand u want...i wanted a st croix 8 foot but the blank was 230$

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
hmm, that`s a little pricey but you get quality i suppose. maybe next year...

·
Registered
129 Posts
yeah but thats what i wanted cuz i use heavy sinker but for blanks thats up to 2 ounce lure wich is little heavier than the lure that they use up at the falls price starts at 70$ for a 9 foot.....up o 2 ounce lure and most of the blank i get are lifetime warranty....now fishing season i started im probly gonna wait till next winter and ill probly build 2-3 rod and all my rod will probly take 2 weeks to get and couple day to build but all rods will be built like u want....i have a magasin here with everything in....the sky is the limite when i comes to building rods....

·
Registered
64 Posts
trouter, if youre usin mono u dont need thirty lb test.Get a good leader of flouro. like ipop says and run your main line at 20lbs top.your rod and reel will handle it better.set the drag properly and you wont have any trouble,,,,,,,,,,,,but that can be a problem with cheapy reels,,,,poor drag system.i used the cheap rods for a couple yrs after the reels let go when i first started.if your gonna get into the striper game, your way better off with a bait combo, and a lure combo.im just startin really with lures and still like the rod a bit on the heavy side in case i need it for bait, but if youre fishin the surf those 10 -12 foot ugly sticks have their place.they can come in handy for rivers too if the castin is far, and or the baits are big.im still a mono user, with the gear i use i like it better

1 - 20 of 25 Posts