New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of anyone in new brunswick catching walleye and largemouth bass. If so were would be a potential area to try for them?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
There was a rumor of a walleye being caught in the Maqtaquac Headpond, not sure if it's true. If you check page 49 of your Fish 2010 Rules book, you will see that there are largemouth in the Magaguadavic watershed.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of anyone in new brunswick catching walleye and largemouth bass. If so were would be a potential area to try for them?
Word is there is also a population of Largemouth up around Oromocto.another example of the efforts of the "Bucket Brigade"

·
Registered
428 Posts
Back about 10-12 years ago, the first time I fished the Magaguadavic and Utopia, I caught a smallmouth with quite a bucket on it for a mouth. Although it was the same size as the other bass I was catching, it looked different, but it definitely did not appear to be all smallmouth or largemouth. Since the Magaguadavic river is the first site of largemouth introduction in NB that we know of, it is quite possible that this could have been a hybrid between the two species of bass. In waters were there is a very low population of one species, it makes the odds of cross breeding much more possible and that is exactly what it is like in the magaguadavic. They are referred to as mean mouth bass. NO BS! Read this article from in-fishermen : http://www.in-fisherman.com/content/hybrid-black-bass

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had heard tons of rumours of a population of LMB being established in NB but the only official catch i had heard of was one individual from a couple of years ago.I'm definitly very interested in trying the Magaguadavic watershed, has anyone had much luck there this year for them, is the population still very small or decent sized?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had heard tons of rumours of a population of LMB being established in NB but the only official catch i had heard of was one individual from a couple of years ago.I'm definitly very interested in trying the Magaguadavic watershed, has anyone had much luck there this year for them, is the population still very small or decent sized?
As far as I know, there has been one confirmed capture of largemouth bass in the province. Caught in the fishway of the Magaguadavic river. One. So I'd say the odds of going fishing and finding one are remote to put it mildly. I'd head stateside to fish largemouth.

·
Registered
186 Posts
They are referred to as mean mouth bass. NO BS! Read this article from in-fishermen : http://www.in-fisherman.com/content/hybrid-black-bass
Interesting article. I don't doubt the "getting attacked" I've seen spawning bass attack anything that comes into its territory. Last spring I fouled up on a big sunken branch when casting from shore, and when I drug this close to shore, there was a bass swimming around it frantically...backing off and charging over and over.

·
Registered
144 Posts
There was a rumor of a walleye being caught in the Maqtaquac Headpond, not sure if it's true. If you check page 49 of your Fish 2010 Rules book, you will see that there are largemouth in the Magaguadavic watershed.
the closest spot for walleye would be quebec and probably you would get a better chance if you head down to maine for lmb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts