New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the rule on waddington shanks for spring fishing for kelts on the miramichi. I was told by a few people(fishin fever halifax) that they are allowed? Just wondering and looking for input. Dont want to wast time tying a bunch of spring flies if they arent legal. Those wads are expensive!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Fishing for black salmon is done with a single barbless fly from april 15 to may 15 , no mention of waddington shanks.shanks and tubes are not real popular on the miramichi.This being said as long as your shanks are equipped with a single barbless hook i see no problem.That 's my opinion.And i see the benefits of shanks = a large or long fly but a size 10 or 8 hook wich provides no leverage and less tearing of the fish's mouth and when it gets dull you put a new hook on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thats the way i see it to. Definatly less damage to the fish. Higher landing ratio for sure. Last year i used tubes only. this was my first spring salmon trip to the miramichi. Caught lots of fish in the 3 days i was there. Used octapus hooks and every fish that was landed was hooked in the lip. No snaged fish as i fished the tubes with hook point up. They seemed to work very well. I saw some guys in fishing fever buying up 5/0 6/0 salmon hooks last weekend. They have to be hard on the salmon let alone getting hit in the back of the head with one. Tubes are very light weight but work well when paired with a fast sinking line. Was just curious about the waddington shanks. Thought they would work just as well. the guys that i fished with hadn't seen tube flys before. I will be fishing tubes again this year and have some to tie for the guys i go with as well. Gonna try some waddingtons this year and see what happens. No salmon irons for me. Tubes r way cheaper anyways. I can get a bag of good plastic q tips(500) at the dollar store for a buck.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Not sure why someone would want to use a 5/0 or 6/0 hook except for the extra weight. Traditionaly a 2/0 is common at ice out and you go smaller as the water level drops. I think these larger flies maybe coming into play as more and more people are trolling for salmon on the Miramichi. Growning up we never saw people tolling for salmon, then again we never saw aluminum boats either. Over the past 5 years or more there are more and more trollers. A practise I personally think should not be practiced on river where atlantic salmon is allowed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, i know. I noticed that as well with the trollers.I didnt think that was allowed but i guess it is. See alot of guys just feeding line out through their rods too, not even casting. Those big hooks are crazy huge.Seems some think u need a big hook for a big fish, true in some cases however not so much for salmon. I think ur right with the extra weight of the bigger hooks. Im gonna stick to my tubes and maybe a few waddingtons with small hooks.

·
Registered
438 Posts
i can only imagine using a hook that big, let alone trying to chuck one...hence trolling...most of my flies are tied on size 4, sometimes 2, i just use 9xlong hooks for the extra long profile and bulk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts