New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some info on Wacky rigging Senkos. What size, and type of hooks are you using?
What size, and colors of senkos seem to work best?

Thanks.... Rob.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I use 5" worms and 2/0 or 3/0 circle hooks. Colours are just about every colour available depending on the time, water temps, water colour, sunny or not. Basically keep changing till the hits start

·
Registered
79 Posts
Jim, do you weight that rig in any way, either the hook or the line?

Rob, thanks for asking this. I'm pretty interested in fishing senkos if/when it gets too windy for the fly rod.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey I like using circle or octopus hooks ranging from 1/0-3/0 in size, all depending on the size of your senko. I also never wacky rig any senkos without using the K&J Tackle wacky Rig'r tool.http://www.wackyrigr.com/ this tool helps prevent you from spending a whack load of money on senko's because of tear offs and loosing baits during the fight of the fish. Check it out, it has saved me loads of money since i started using it!

As for colour choices, I would look at your conditions, forage and body of water and then chose accordingly. Otherwise just go with what you think looks natural and would catch fish, usually that is all it takes.
If it helps you any, the colour senkos i caught my biggest wacky rigged bass on were: Junebug and Red Black Flake Both colours made by Yamamoto

·
Registered
110 Posts
I use the rubber rings as well. When the bass hit, the ring and senko shoot up the line. Easy to set up. I do not use anything to weight the line or senko, although I heard some people put a finishing nail at each end of the senko to help make it sink.

I am not sure how to add an image. In a post of mine from the end of last year I have a pic of my setup. Blog with pic.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I will try all your suggestions.
I love adding new things to my bag of tricks.

Rob.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts