New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a fly fisherman from Washington State looking for advice on N.B, PEI, and N.S for the next two weeks. I even have to get licenses yet. Where? I brought my 3 wt. rod and mostly dry flies. Suggestions?

·
Registered
91 Posts
A 3 weight rod really limits you this time of the year. Most of the smallmouth bass are leaving or have left the small streams they send the summer in, so finding them without a boat can be difficult unless you know a specific lake. Brookies are open until Setp. 15th and are in beautiful spawning colours so I'd suggest focusing on them. Stripers and muskie will snap a 3 wt. like a twig so I wouldn't sacrifice my rod. I think salmon fishing is the most fun you can have with a fly rod, but again a 3 wt. is too light. You could try pickerel fishing, but you'll need to tie on a leader they can't bite through.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks to WELL HOOKED and FISHINNUT for your responses. I can see that fishing New Brunswick is out of the picture. I won't be available much after Sept. 15th nor am I able to hire a guide. I think I need to re-focus on Nova Scotia.

I'm really just a trout guy, not salmon or looking to fish for any of the other "meatier" fish you have back here. Yeah, I just have this 3 wt. repaired so I'm not looking to snap it off.

How about some small rivers or streams on Nova Scotia in the next week? Is the rain impacting the water color and fish-ability? Again, I'm really interested in trout, if they're available.

BTW, any good fly shops in Amhearst, Halifax, or other N.S towns?

Brian A.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thanks to WELL HOOKED and FISHINNUT for your responses. I can see that fishing New Brunswick is out of the picture. I won't be available much after Sept. 15th nor am I able to hire a guide. I think I need to re-focus on Nova Scotia.

I'm really just a trout guy, not salmon or looking to fish for any of the other "meatier" fish you have back here. Yeah, I just have this 3 wt. repaired so I'm not looking to snap it off.

How about some small rivers or streams on Nova Scotia in the next week? Is the rain impacting the water color and fish-ability? Again, I'm really interested in trout, if they're available.

BTW, any good fly shops in Amhearst, Halifax, or other N.S towns?

Brian A.
Brian, Try the sister site, Nova Scotia fishing. The link is at the top of the page!! Good Luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts