New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever fished the upper parts of the SW Miramichi?
I did an over-nighter canoe trip Wed this week from Juniper to the forks where the North Branch joins the Main. The week before, I did a day trip on the North from public boat launch above the train bridge to the forks. The canoeing was great, the fishing was sparse. The habitat is beautiful and you can see why the river supports so many trout and salmon (parr were everywhere, must have hooked 20 at least), but I wonder how many salmon go up that far and where they hang out. Each turn (and there are many) creates deep pools which look like they could easily hold fish, but I saw no fish until I hooked and landed a 10 lb hen just above the Governor's Table camp on the SB about a km from the forks. Maybe there is so much habitat that the fish are just spread out more.
I didnt see anyone else fishing until I hit the forks on either trip which makes me wonder if it is because people dont think fish are there or is it because these stretches are difficult to access. There is plenty of river with both branches running deep and swift in most places. For me these were scouting trips as I had never been up there before and if I go back I know where to focus, but was just wondering if anyone else has any experience up there. One fella in the forks pool mentioned that most fish go up the North Branch vs the South Branch of the Main SW.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I usually fish the pools below the forks down to where the river veers away from the road (Half Moon pool). This year is way better than last year; seeing fish in every pool. I've been planning on doing the canoe trip you did on the North branch but haven't been able to coordinate schedules with my son yet. I would say access or lack of it is the reason you didn't see many fishermen (this is a good thing:) ) I landed a grilse this AM at a pool on the north branch with water conditions as near to perefct as I've ever seen them for Juniper. I find that area very finicky with poor fishing on low water, high water, warm water, and even when the water height is perfect but receding. Today the level was down a bit but starting to raise with good rain early this AM and this is rare perfect conditions for Juniper. The funny part is I only saw 4 fishermen in 7 pools! There are campers everywhere but their occupants were either drunk or just fairweather fishermen I guess:lol:

The South branch doesn't hold many fish until fall I'm told and noone I know ever fishes it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts