New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well I finally cracked the 40 mark for hooking salmon this year and it's only July 8th. I don't live near the river but I do try and pick the best days to go up from reports and water level info.

This past week I hooked 16 fish. Landing 12 of them. One was a nice salmon I horsed in so not to wear the poor thing out as the water temps were rising on Wednesday and I broke my Sage XP 10 footer just in front of the first guide. When I hand lined the fish to within a few feet of me the tippet broke. I only had the fish on for a few minutes.

The Renous fished really good in the lower streches. I also caught several on the Little Southwest.

I hooked 3 on the little southwest on July 8th and released 2 of them. The last one that caught that evening was on a shady lady. The first time the fly has worked for me in 25 years of fishing.
That was number 40 hooked and 27 of those landed with 2 of them purposely snapped off.

Video clip of some fishing on July 6th.
Renous River

Here are a few pictures of us!

And my cousin with a nice salmon on July 6th at the Little Southwest.

Me releasing one in the morning on July 8th on the Little Southwest

·
Registered
576 Posts
wow that's awesome, I'm hoping to head several times over the next few weeks. I'll be happy if I can hook into a half dozen fish or so this year lol

·
Registered
124 Posts
Geez I had to edit my first post. I knew it was 40 for sure but I've got my numbers messed up and it was 16 this past week and not 18. I had 19 total by June 26th and hooked 4 on Tuesday June 28th. Hooked a grilse on the Renous and 2 grilse on the LSW. Snapped off a salmon on the LSW in the evening. Screwed up the drag on the reel doing so! Landed a nice fat grilse on the Renouse on the evening of the 29th. I skipped fishing over the long weekend and went out again this past week. Last night July 8th I hooked my 40th and released it around 9:00 pm on the Little Southwest.

My buddy's father was up at a camp with 5 other guys this past week on the Southwest Miramichin and they hooked into 91 fish and landed over 60. Now that's incredible fishing!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Great numbers Green Machine!

I too am having a fantastic year. Your post prompted me to look at my log book for so far for 2011... So far this year I've hooked 35 and landed 16 (2 salmon and 14 grilse). All done on barbless hooks (mostly a #10 white tail green machine). All but one were released.

This is shaping up to be one of my better years.

(Side note: Best fishing ever was a few years ago in Newfoundland (Northern Peninsula). A few of us were 'extreme' camping for three weeks on a remote portion of my favourite river. I landed 50 in that trip.)

Tight lines!

Oh yeah, and I've NEVER caught a fish on a shady lady!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts