New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Just published in "Trout Unlimited" and linked to the Atlantic Salmon Federation page.

Climate news: Striped bass taking bite out of Atlantic salmon (original article here, with the Striped Bass paper that sparked the author's post linked at the bottom)

Author is an avid trout fisherman and part of the board of directors for Trout Unlimited (but isn't referenced as a scientist), and references the 2013 study of stomach contents as "ongoing", But here's a couple of quotes from the article.

• Ocean bound Miramichi salmon smolt now face a striper population of "hundreds of thousands"-forming a daunting gauntlet of hungry mouths through which they must pass enroute to the salt. It's no surprise, then, that smolt survival is now at an unprecedented low for the entire Miramichi system
  • So mark the explosion of voracious stripers as just one more insult to a species in serious jeopardy -- especially in the storied Canadian Maritimes. If you hear of excitement over booming striper fishing in this area, just remember it comes at a very high cost.

It's a blog post and therefore opinion, but I'm of the understanding the jury's still out on this and initial stomach content findings don't support this argument?

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
I can attest that any fly made to resemble a salmon parr is killer on stripers along the 'Chi. Coincidence? We tie some using exclusively crystal flash in silver, olive, and green.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Meanwhile, Fisheries and Oceans Canada scientists are into the second year of a three-year study of the stomach contents of striped bass.

"Although salmon and striped bass coexist in the same waters, they occupy different habitats and only overlap during limited time periods in spring," said department spokesman Steve Hachey on Monday.

"Primary analysis of stomach contents after one year of data shows that about two-thirds of the striped bass stomachs collected during the spawning period were empty. For those that were not empty, the large majority contained smelts and gaspereau, and the remainder had other fish species and a few salmon smolts."

Doesn't sound like stripers are bulking up on salmon smolts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
At this point it is still difficult to say how big a problem this is. Like I fish said, preliminary results do not confirm stripers are responsible for the low salmon returns. But who knows? appearances are that there must be some negative impact. What we dont know is if there are also some positive impacts.. (i.e. smolts feeding on stripers spawn and eggs.. ). Only science can tell us, and hopefully that stomach study will speak when they have enough data. But for now I am a bit weary of fishermen's tales..

If I tied a fly that (in my mind) mimics a baby sturgeon, I would probably catch stripers with it, since as we know, when a striper wants to eat, it will take any easy meal (i.e. a fly passing by its mouth). crystal flash or not. Would that allow me to deduct that stripers are a threat to/gorging on endangered sturgeon?

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
First of all, there are no sturgeon in the Miramichi system. Secondly, it would be possible that salmon smolt feed on baby striped bass, however numbers would show otherwise. Given the immense population of stripers as compared to salmon, it is highly unlikely that salmon smolt are eating all the striped bass, since the bass exponentially outnumber the smolt. As such, the stripers cannot be feeding exclusively on salmon smolt as there aren't enough smolt to sustain the bass population.

·
Registered
59 Posts
First of all, there are no sturgeon in the Miramichi system.
Hey Stroover.. first of all, do a simple google search.. http://nsmdcaarom.ca/american-eel-and-atlantic-sturgeon.html

Secondly, it would be possible that salmon smolt feed on baby striped bass, however numbers would show otherwise. Given the immense population of stripers as compared to salmon, it is highly unlikely that salmon smolt are eating all the striped bass, since the bass exponentially outnumber the smolt. As such, the stripers cannot be feeding exclusively on salmon smolt as there aren't enough smolt to sustain the bass population.
hey I didnt write that smolts were maybe eating all the striped bass, nor did I write you believed that stripers only eat smolts!! you are taking quite a shortcut!! I wrote,

What we dont know is if there are also some positive impacts.. (i.e. smolts feeding on stripers spawn and eggs.. ).
I was suggesting that there may be some positive impacts. I didnt even imply that some possible positive impacts would outweight the negative impacts. What I said, let science establish facts.

And yes what I implied without saying it is that your logic regarding that 'smolt-looking fly' is laughable :lol:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Anyone check the stomach contents of the trout in the Miramichi system? Stripers and salmon gave both been in that system for centuries and got along great, throw man into the mix and it all goes to hell

·
Registered
651 Posts
Anyone check the stomach contents of the trout in the Miramichi system? Stripers and salmon gave both been in that system for centuries and got along great, throw man into the mix and it all goes to hell
I agree with Jim. Stripers aren't the problem, it is the overfishing and illeagal fishing. Not just locally but off Greenland and other areas large number of NB salmon are caught and killed each year. If that could somehow be prevented, this whole discussion wouldn't be necessary.

Salmon advocates pointing fingers at striped bass based on bad science as the key issue does nothing other than agitate and raise tensions.

·
Registered
386 Posts
This is just another example of how one group is going to defend their preferred species while blaming another species for any issues, with no positive outcome. It seems to happen a lot on this forum.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is just another example of how one group is going to defend their preferred species while blaming another species for any issues, with no positive outcome. It seems to happen a lot on this forum.
This is exactly what goes on this forum Atoqwa'su. Science means nothing, kill everything else except salmon with no evidence. These fish have coexisted for hundreds of years . Some on here will stop at nothing to get striped bass, smallmouth bass and so on eradicated to save the salmon. Truth has no place on here

·
Registered
386 Posts
Species can coexist for millennia without any issues, but throw humans into the mix and that's when the arse end falls out of 'er.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Jim, Homebrew, Atoqwa'su are right on the money. What I fail to understand is how such a strong assertion is made with no backing studies. Until there is scientific study backing something, its simply hearsay.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's an opinion piece and a platform to share it from. That's all that some people need, particularly when the platform is oriented to the supposed "victims" of the theme (i.e. 'trout' unlimited).

Where the author damaged their own credibility is by mentioning a study was in progress without actually finding and including the early results of the study. They should have waited because if the results come out and don't back up their claims, they'll have to deal with any legitimate challenges to their perspective.

·
Registered
182 Posts
However we can't ignore that certain species have difficulty adapting to changes in their environment. It is not that people only care about trout and salmon, it's because the stocks keep dwindling compared to other species that thrive. I am aware that there are many factors to this problem (mainly overfishing) but we can't ignore them. Personally, I do fish for salmon and trout and I love it immensely. I have tried other species but none stuck with me like trout and salmon. I would not do much fishing if trout and salmon would be suspended or banned. Just my preference. Nothing against other species.

·
Registered
598 Posts
If we can accept (for a moment?) that one of the major causes of these population changes is man-induced climate change, this whole business of dabbling with population management strikes me as akin to standing by and watching your car burn, but taking the time to replace the wiper blades once they begin to melt.

In a related story, I see that some marine scientists are correlating the decline of lobster populations along the southern extent of their Atlantic range to rising water temperatures, while our lobster stocks seem to increase each year as the temp changes appear to favour OUR area.

When life gives you lemons, squeeze 'em onto your lobsters.

brent

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm with Joe on this "Salmon advocates pointing fingers at striped bass based on bad science as the key issue does nothing other than agitate and raise tensions " I for one am getting a little tired of these " salmon " guys spout cull this kill that , when none of them want to admit that decades of over fishing and retention had anything to do with the decline in salmon numbers. There are many factors involved in the decline and we all need to be proactive in helping protect all we have.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It's not so much that the "salmon" guys are denying that over-fishing has something to do with the decline in numbers. In fact, they are well aware that this is part of the problem (I do stress "part"). I think one of the issues is that not only is there little to no retention on said other species, but also that some individuals take it upon themselves to "transplant" other species with the hopes that later down the road the government will protect these as well (as in the not-so-distant past), however this is just my personal opinion, mind you. Now, what seems to be overlooked, I think, is that the non-salmon folks see the salmon folks as a big part of the problem as they buy AND use tags (as far as they can tell), whereas the non-salmon folks let all or most of their quarry go. Though some DO kill one or more salmon (as well as trout), this is but a small fraction of the overall kill-rate of the salmonid species, as I am sure most educated folks on here can attest. The overall big picture seems to be climate change, when you add everything up. Be it as it may, the fact remains that species such as bass fare quite well in warmer waters as opposed to salmonids, and when you add to this factor them being protected by bag limits and what-not, simple deduction implies that they will multiply and possibly take over, and if you are a 'bass person' you will love this. If you are a 'salmon' person, you will not. Elementary, really.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts