New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! Just wondering how everyone has been doing this year fishing trout. Whats your biggest? any sea run brookies caught? or know when the run is starting?

I caught a bunch of trout so far this year, my nicest ones being 14 inches give or take and 13 inches give or take.(in the picture gallery) I hooked in to a 20+ incher today, jumped up about 2 feet in the air and unhooked it's self on the way back down! (mas was i mad) bass is starting Sunday (may 1st) going to try it.

but anyway, just wanted to hear your guys stories and see any nice pictures of trout. Good luck to all and happy fishing!!!!

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
I've got nothing so far, but then again I don't have the patiance to sit at the same spot all day long with a worm in the water for the hopes of maybe catching one or two fish. When it comes to trout fishing, I'm strictly a fly fisherman, and I don't usually do to good with the trout until another week or two.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Landed a 15" and a 17 1/2" rainbow today with numerous rainbows 14" and under. Also lost a nice 25" rainbow. Had other flyfishermen trying to help me land it and they figure it was 23" to 25" long. Leader broke and he swam away, was a good jumper and must have jumped around 3 times and as high as 3 feet. Pretty sure he was a sea run, his fins all had white tips and he was pretty silver compared to fresh water bows with the nice dark red sides.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've got nothing so far, but then again I don't have the patiance to sit at the same spot all day long with a worm in the water for the hopes of maybe catching one or two fish. When it comes to trout fishing, I'm strictly a fly fisherman, and I don't usually do to good with the trout until another week or two.
Stroover, where in hammond river should I fly fish this time of year. What fly should I use. Do you just let the fly drift down stream or do you strip the fly in. Some help would be nice.
Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
4 brookies, one was 17" others 12"-14"
3 browns, female 18", female 20", my biggest so far, male 22" 4lbs.

Heck of a start, only been out twice!

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Brendan, if you're flyfishing the Hammond this time of year, you want to be trolling a streamer. The top water action (buck bugs, for example, mayfies) won't start for another week or two, depending on how much rain we get this week.

·
Registered
91 Posts
No sign of any trout in Taymouth on the Nashwaak yet but I heard someone got a large brown in Marysville last week.
Got a couple of real nice trout while fishing blacks. They weren't bright sea runs.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Brendan, if you're flyfishing the Hammond this time of year, you want to be trolling a streamer. The top water action (buck bugs, for example, mayfies) won't start for another week or two, depending on how much rain we get this week.
Where in Hammond river do you recommend fishing. Should I fish fast water up river or slow water down river.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got out for the first time on the weekend, nice to get the gear wet again. Caught a few small stream brookies 6-12". Water's still cold and the fish are sluggish. That'll change soon enough

·
Registered
71 Posts
So far, been out to Giffins and caught my limit of nice brookies twice..along with some big white perch and of course the obligitory green eel..lol Doesn't look good with all this rain though...some runs might be a few weeks late this year. As for the cold water..i like it...i find trout and salmon like the cold water....it is the bass, pickeral and perch who favour the warm water. Cold water hold more oxygen..a must for trout and salmon..the warmer the water..less oxygen..the then trout will get picky and not bite much..the brookies will gather in pools and get very skittish..the browns and landlocks will head for deeper cooler water.
The levels just need to drop a bit...lol..beside that, i love the cold weather and water.

·
Registered
125 Posts
So far, been out to Giffins and caught my limit of nice brookies twice..along with some big white perch and of course the obligitory green eel..lol Doesn't look good with all this rain though...some runs might be a few weeks late this year. As for the cold water..i like it...i find trout and salmon like the cold water....it is the bass, pickeral and perch who favour the warm water. Cold water hold more oxygen..a must for trout and salmon..the warmer the water..less oxygen..the then trout will get picky and not bite much..the brookies will gather in pools and get very skittish..the browns and landlocks will head for deeper cooler water.
The levels just need to drop a bit...lol..beside that, i love the cold weather and water.
Giffin is that out St.Martins on the coast.. I love the perch out there...Can you get down the road to the cliff or is the gate back up.... Havent been there in a couple of years.

·
Registered
71 Posts
[Giffin is that out St.Martins on the coast.. I love the perch out there...Can you get down the road to the cliff or is the gate back up.... Havent been there in a couple of years.

yep, that's the spot...great place, the gate is back up. Bring warm sweater etc...it can get nasty cold there as it is right next to the bay....seen it sunny one minute..get windy and the fog roll in and cold the next.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts