New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the serious fishers of this site everyones been kidna down about trout not runnign all over the palce i been going to many brooks and stream in greenwich and been for about a month and finally the run is here for trout caught at least 12 13 ranging from 8-12" so maybe all your other brooks might soon or already have trout in them jsut sharing friendly info !

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes it is great the wait might be over and the brooks start being good maybe from now on ! lol

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i`ve had a great year so far fishing brookies. here`s a nice one that went 17"

·
Registered
5 Posts
[sub]are the brook trout biting for flies? I did not have much luck in the brooks in the Juniper area. Any comments?[/sub]
[sub] [/sub]
[sub]Also, can anyone explain to me the 'black water' or 'back water' trout phenomenon. I am not sure of the term. I caugth 4 trout, 6 - 7 inches each. In 3 of them the meat was solid as you would expect. In the 4th, the meat was soft and mushy. Did not eat that one. I figured that was a 'backwater' trout. I look forward to your comments. [/sub]

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
the trout are hitting flies so much they hardly have room for some more worms, lol!

for the black/back water thing, you might have two different things mixed together, expressions can be like that.

black water trout are very dark, almost black skinned trout, that dark camo coloring is because they hide in the dark bank underhangs, rarely going out of their protected area into the light and dangers like birds. i normally find these trout firm this time of year, possibley because they are in the shaded, coldest water. later these same areas can become warm as bath water, just like some of the shallow waters do, and warm water can cause mushy trout, as can getting them too warm too long after you catch them. it helps to clean your trout as soon as possible too.

in a lot of cases the back waters or beginnings of the streams are boggy deadwaters, where unless cold spring feed, all of the above can happen.

anybody have another take on the black/back water thing?

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
That's a black trout all right. I typically get them if I fish a beaver pond. The first one I ever saw, I didn't know what it was at first, then I noticed the trout pattern in it's skin, so realized I was holding a trout. Lol! That was about 25 years ago.

·
2,366 Posts
Good luck with THAT, FlyfisherC&R! That's his go-to spot, and he ain't sharing that with no one. Beleive me, I tried. Lol!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i caught it in sw nb...
it was actually at my back up go to spot...lol!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for the responses ipop and stroover.

That is also part of the fun of fishing is learning all of the jargon and trying to find out the good spots.

Yes, I can picture that massive trout with a mouth full of worms trying to bite at a fly LOL.

I am in nw nb. Perhaps the water is just to high. Anyone else tried trout fishing up in this area with a fly. Is there a preferable fly for higher and colder water?
Maybe it is that one that someone caught in their net (above). Did you catch that on worm/lake/stream? gps coordinates?? lol

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Caught around 15 , 8-12" stocked trout in upper lakes in rockwood today taking the fly liek crazy any color variton as long as its on top of thier head lol !

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
thanks pond jumper, he was a real beauty even with the sliced up tail.

i caught a pair of matching 12" brookies this evening. i must have lost a¸dozen, they wanted it finessed this evening. one took spinner and worm, the other took a 3" crank/minnow bait. they were really wacking the crank, but i bet a fly the same pattern would have worked at least as well. not as much top water action at dark, they were searching just below, i suspect taking wet flies. a stop and go retrieve was getting almost all the action tonight.

justin, when the water is high, look for them near or even in the flooded trees, mostly alders. for lakes they are feeding around large rocks and boulders, so target any area that has some, preferably if they are out in the water a ways.

hey SeriousFisher, you have been living up to your name, landing lots of trout this season - good for you!

·
2,366 Posts
Justin, I was fishing in Eastern NB last weekend, and they were hitting both wet flies and dries. I am presently fishing in SW NB, and at the moment they seem to prefer buck bug type flies over nymphs. (I have given them the choice of a buck bug and a nymph on the dropper, and they hit the bug every time).

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Last night they were hitting the worm hard, if you could get it past the gizzillion fall fish....
we had no luck on the land lochs last night, which was the first no hitter for them in a couple days. The bigger fall fish were up the streams, I caught one I thought was a good size trout from the fight, but turned out to be about a 2.5lb fall fish.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts