New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I originally hail from the Miramichi, where there is an abundance of locations to go cast a line for trout and salmon. Being new to the Moncton area, (working/living here these days) I am not familiar with any locations that are home to some decent trout fishing.

I was wondering if there would be anyone interested on pointing a fellow angler in the right direction of some decent brook trout fishing in the surrounding area (+/-45min. drive) from the city. I'm more than willing to put my own work in to find some good holes, but it would be helpful to know of some rivers, brooks etc. that have a healthy population of good size trout (+/- 10 inches on the small end).

Any additional info on other species, smallmouth, pickerel, etc. would be welcomed as well. Was looking through the forums a bit, but a lot of the information is quite dated.

Anyways, thanks ahead of time for any help!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ill be brutally honest, MOST of the rivers and streams in a 45 min distance to Moncton are mostly overfished you wont find any with a consistent healthy population of trout in the +10" size unless you happen to be there in the right spot when the sea trout run is at its peak... but that don't mean you shouldn't take your Rod out and go fish. I personally tried all these ones I also doubt that anyone will give you their honey holes but I don't mind helping out whoever is reading this...

45 min drive from Moncton:

There is the petitcodiac, Cocagne, bouctouche, shediac, scoudouc, kenebecasis, shepody, memramcook, rivers that all have Trout but do they hold a healthy population ? NO !

There are not enough catch n release Trout fisherman to keep a healthy population. What most don't understand is the bigger the trophy fish is the more EGGS and better GENES they will produce. I've seen too many guys keep 10-12 6 inch trout almost everytime they go out saying that they taste like chips(go buy chips you dumb F***). But yeah this year should be VERY interesting given that the water levels will most likely not rise at all.

·
Registered
40 Posts
there is decent fishing for smaller ( 8 to 10 inch) trout in the tributaries of the kenebecasis ...almost any stream that runs into the river will have fish...the one i fish yields me about 50 to 70 C&R almost every time i go...not bug but lots of fun on a light fly rod. never think the stream is too small ...they surprise you when you get down to them and walk the water up or down away from the road

1 - 6 of 6 Posts