New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey guys I went up yesterday to a pond in the parking lot of fisher lakes not the birdge one its a pond before that in a parking lot caught a nice 11 1/2" Brook Trout, and then this morning a good 13" Brook trout in Lily Lake !?!?! I couldnt beleive it that I actually finally pulled a trout out of thier I was thier around 6- 6:30 am this morning and grabbed it thier were just jumping all over the places so tomorrow morning is a fly fishing morning !
Any suggestion on color varitions and what type of fly to use right now on lakes for trout ? All is appreciated thanks !

·
Registered
23 Posts
The 2012 NB fishing guide says they stocked both of those lakes last year with brook trout. Lily Lake got 2010 and Fisher got 1110. Great to hear that some are still in there. If they are feeding on the surface look around for a hatch and try to match it with whatever you have in your fly box. Light Cahill, Irresitable Adams and Adams flies work well for me when they are taking dry flies. Good luck.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Im told the trout in those lakes taste shitty. Never had em myself though. I still think its a waste to stalk those lakes.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Then don't eat them, put them back and catch them again later when they get bigger.
As for flies, I beleive they were jumping because of may flies. Just get you some light brown colored may flies from Canadian Tire or Walmart for cheapo's, or go to Doiron Sports Excellence for better stuff.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha i jsut cooked it up and you know what?, IT TASTED GREAT!
lol not a single problem with it maybe that person dont like trout? lol , and exactlly toss it back if you go so i can catch it next time
stroover could you paste a link to some flies so I have an idea im very very amatuer to flies and what to use lol

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
They have stocked those lakes quite a bit

Lilly Lake over 700 kilgrams
Fisher Lkaes over 1000 kilograms

Between 2008 and 2011

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
K quick question anyone ! Is hammond good right now? or anywhere close have anythign running for trout i want to go but not if no one scatching anything if not were else close would be good today im leaving soon jsut wanna try some places

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Serious, I've been hitting the Hammond pretty hard, and the run has not hit yet. I assumed since "spring" was here early that the run would be early as well, but I figure it's right on schedule to hit in the next couple of weeks.

As for flies, I'm not exactly a lake fisherman so I don't know if it's any different from a river or not, but I'd look for something like "pale evening duns". I'd think "royal wulfs" would work well there too. Basically, just look for whatever bugs are flying/swimming/walking and falling into the water and tie on a fly that resembles that, and you're golden. Did you notice any may flies when you were there yesterday? Did you notice any bugs crawling on the bottom on rocks? Were there any little miller butterflies fluttering by? Stuff like that. And if nothing else works, throw on a buck bug. You can't go wrong with a buck bug! Especially with trout. It's my go-to fly! I like mine made with natural deer hair and a black tail with grizzly hackle. Bumblebees work great too! In fact, I'd recommend you buy some and try them right off the bat! ("bumble bees" look like a little bee, tied with a black stripe, yellow stripe, and another black stripe. They also have white wings usually, and may or may not have a tail and/or hackle. Canadian tire sells them in their fly section for cheap).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Jim , Stroover, FlyFisher ! all info is greatly appreciated and helpful !

·
Registered
169 Posts
Then don't eat them, put them back and catch them again later when they get bigger.
As for flies, I beleive they were jumping because of may flies. Just get you some light brown colored may flies from Canadian Tire or Walmart for cheapo's, or go to Doiron Sports Excellence for better stuff.
I actually dont eat fish, hate the taste, Im all catch and relase so long as the fish is healthy, if not Ill bring it to my grandfather.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Muddlers should work too
Muddlers working the other day, brook trout, one guy said he caught a sea trout but it looked like regular trout to me, I think different people have a different opinion on what classifies as a sea trout, what ive always called sea trout are very silver with black speckles and faint color and are actually sea run Brown trout not speckles. Maybe speckles do run out into the sea I dont know, but they lose color once they get bigger so I dont know how one says a particular speckled trout is sea run or not. When I go out im looking for Sea run Brown trout, best luck I had was on the River Phillip some years ago and got one out Salt springs last year, clearly looked nothing like a speckled trout.

What do you guys consider a sea trout?

·
Registered
203 Posts
trout that havent been in the river as long are usually that silver color,the speckles are there but fainter and are always nice and pink inside. The resident trout and trout you get in ponds will be darker with almost a forest green top alot of the time and orange colored belly. As far as brook trout are concerned.
Ive only caught one brown, in the dunarvon. nice gold color with black spots

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
sea run brown trout are very rare here, i have never caught one. there should be a rare few in the sj along with a couple nearby rivers and streams. they get some on the gulf coast but i have never seen them. browns in the big lakes can take on the coloring of sea run browns.
there are some steelhead (sea run rainbow trout), mostly in the shepody area but also the same spots as possible sea run browns.
99% of the time, in nb sea run trout are brookies.

·
Registered
40 Posts
was out today in the moncton area (some people don't like me telling where i fish) and landed close to 40 brookies in the 10 to 14 inch range all on a size 8 royal woulf may flies hatching all over but the greedy things went fror the bigt fly who knows what's gonna work day to day

·
Registered
8 Posts
was out today in the moncton area (some people don't like me telling where i fish) and landed close to 40 brookies in the 10 to 14 inch range all on a size 8 royal woulf may flies hatching all over but the greedy things went fror the bigt fly who knows what's gonna work day to day
holy sweet molly!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
not to go off topic was fishing fishe rlakes tho today, and omg... lol the hatch yesteday was amazing aroudn 7 the lakes fisher lakes were boiling in groups all over no little surfaces break fulll out jumping out no stop for abotu an hour i aalmost sh*t myself tryign to see what they were reating up then tried matchign it couldnt reach them in the middle of the lake what a downer it was!lol, thne today as I was sayign went up many breaks around same time nothing lsike yesterday tho btu this one must been I SWEAR like a 20-25È Trout for a joke right besides me Jumped out cleared the water by like half a foot and nailed this big a** dragon fly dead in the air about a foot and half above the water was a perfect moment man I wish I had a cmaera to show all of you ! lol Trying again in the early am canÈt wait illl psot picks with how I make out ! lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts