New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a trolling motor set up on their yak? How did you go about doing it?

Im thinking of removing the top of the motor and putting it up in my cockpit and controlling the direction with the rudder system in place. I have yet to get the motor as I'm still trying to make my mind up on getting a set speed type or a variable speed.

I have spent hours looking at other sites and others ideas. Just looking for your ideas

·
Registered
113 Posts
I haven't done this but I have thought about it.

If you disassemble the trolling motor and take it all apart you could mount the drive unit ( motor/propeller)under the kayak with the shaft runnung through the hull approximately amidships, in front of where you sit, By shortening the shaft and wires and mounting the operating control 180 degrees from the way it normally is, the motor and control unit could be reconnected and be directly in front of the operator. A skeg mounted on the hullnear the propeller ( probably in front of the motor) would aid in making steering more responsive, particularly if the drive unit was approximately amidships.

This would present a few challenges, mainly:

1. Strengthening the hull at the mounting point.
2. Sealing the hole in the hull. A review of some of the packing box designs used in sailing vessels having a motor should enable something satisfactory to be designed and built.

This would provide an arrangement which would be very workable and convenient. Trying to clamp a trolling motor to the side ot the hull would leave the drive unit quite a bit below the hull, or else the operating control would be uncomfortably high relative to the sitting position in the kayak, without doing surgery to the unit to make everything more compact. Trying to mount the unit behind the kayaker might involve a steering mechanism.

Anyway, ther's my $0.02 on the matter.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Does anyone have a trolling motor set up on their yak? How did you go about doing it?

Im thinking of removing the top of the motor and putting it up in my cockpit and controlling the direction with the rudder system in place. I have yet to get the motor as I'm still trying to make my mind up on getting a set speed type or a variable speed.

I have spent hours looking at other sites and others ideas. Just looking for your ideas
Just for fun I googled "installing trolling motor on a kayak and got a ton of hits. My ideas on the other post turned out to be too "Rube Goldberg" Live & learn.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
keep in mind you are turning that yak into a motor boat with all the licenses and rules applying, no matter what the length anymore. you would also need the boaters license to use it.

all that said, try mounting it off a johnny bar rig and use a dremmell extention for a speed control extention, and then a variation on an inbord/outboard control for the steering (pullies and wire rope). i have also seen a canoe rigged with just a pole to the speed control, the steering fixed strait and steering by paddleing and back paddleing - simple and works okay.

oh, and variable speed motors are supposed to be more efficent on the battery.

good luck with it!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is sometimes too much info available. I want this to be removable as I still enjoy kayaking for the exercise and being with friends on the water.

What I have decided and started to do is fab an aluminium plate roughly the same shape as the deck it will be roughly 12 inches in length and 8 inches at the widest part . This plate will be on the inner side of the deck (inside the dry hatch)

On the top side I'm going to fab another plate the same size as deck with a 90 degree bend goin over the back of the stern (where rudder mount was).

I will drill holes in both plates and deck of kayak to bolt the three pieces together. I'm thinking I will use rubber gaskets with washers between the aluminium and plastic to create a small space so I don't trap water between them

The top plate will have 4 studs. Two on the deck and two on the back where the rudder mount was. This is where I will bolt the original slightly modified motor mount.

Most of the weight should be right on back of the kayak which seems to be quite solid and with the two plate bolted together on both sides of the deck it should spread the force of the motor out over the plates

I hope I explained it okay. As for the rest of it Im removing the switch from the head and building a little instrument panel in the cock pit. This will have a volt reader for battery, dead man switch and the speed control switch.

Both motor and instrument panel will have waterproof connections for simple install and removal. Battery will be at the bow of the boat.

For the steering I will use the rudder cables and control with my feet.

Hopefully the design will work there are lots of options for sit on tops but not much for set in yaks.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Just a little heads up: a friend of mine got himself an Ocean Kayak Torque last year, and he gets awkward looks and comments from the kayaking community in general. If you're going to motorize your kayak, be prepared to get the same flak for it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Done that, works but the battery makes the rear sink a quite a bit. Sure extends your range, just be careful you don't go so far that you run your battery dead before you get back unless you don't mind paddling with the extra weight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts