New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
In around Minto there are some good spots, a lot of the old mine cuts have minnows in them, mostly creek chub and dace, but some don.t ive also caught them before in little river, newcastle stream and at the steel bridges but those places seem to b e pretty hit or miss, and at the bridges a lot of the minnows tend to be illegal bait species like perch and catfish, one spot you may be able to catch a few is the strip mine pond across from the old park in Whurs, before the fish hatcherey coming from the lake ,there should be a trail there a few people trap in there regularly, its a good spot to cathch small minnows for perch , and young white suckers 4-7 inches long which ive found to be VERY good burbot bait..ps use dog food as bait, works better and lasts longer than bread

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks I trapped them at the long pond on rte 10 but had traps stolen and I never had any luck behide my house on maquapit I have got some by hatchery before but forgotten about there.

·
Registered
130 Posts
when you guys speak of minnows....your not talking those little things that hang out next to the shore line in summer are you?? your talking minnow perch etc???...now how in the heck are you trapping them.....and how??....cut a hole and drop your typical minnow trap?/

·
Registered
351 Posts
Cut hole in the ice big enought to get your minnow trap in .I use cat food ,bread or oil sardine for bait . I leave mine in over night . Cover hole with plywood and snow to help it from freezeing . Hope the next day you have minnows.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I put mine on the bottom or about foot off the bottom. depends where your puting it also I put my in about 8 to 12 feet of water. You will just have to try to see where you get them at . hope this helps

·
Registered
130 Posts
thanks guys.......Ill need to find a minnow trap a little smaller than what they sell at Canadain Tire....those are 10" and my auger is 8".....sooooooooooooo....she wont fit!!!!...where can I buy a smaller version??...any ideas?

·
Registered
428 Posts
What if you made some out of two 2L pop bottles? Just cut and reverse the necks, crazy glue, then do the same thing with the other end. poke lots of holes and be done. I made a huge 20" diameter by 4 foot long minnow trap (COUGH COUGH) once out of galvanized mesh, ss wire and stainless pipe when I was a bit younger and still living at the parents. Came home to find it destroyed by my father who thought I was going to use it for eels (COUGH COUGH). You could do the same thing with some old pipe or even PVC pipe and some sort of mesh.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I never thought of the 2 pop bottle thing....great idea.......and the multiple hole thing.....would still have to chip some ice away to get the 10" trap down....but both ideas are great....

thanks for the advise guys. Looking for another 2l pop bottle right now...lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
The 2 litre pop bottle minnow trap works. You just have to remember to include a rock or something a little heavy to make sure it sinks and not just float too much. Hot glue tends not to bond too well for this, just FYI.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts