New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
They usually start showing up in late Septemeber/ early October. You may be able to catch some off the wharf at Renforth, RKYC or any other similar places.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
they seem to hit best at night, right on or just off the bottom. like the others mentioned, we ice fish for them mostly but they can also be caught off a wharf. another spot to try is 5 fathom hole/prince of whales wharf. it's a lot like fishing for small flounder.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
tommies should be in by now! the ice at the end of millage ave is about 4" thick with a lot of water on top , depending on the tide, so we should be good to go any day now (i might try tonight!)

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
tommies should be in by now! the ice at the end of millage ave is about 4" thick with a lot of water on top , depending on the tide, so we should be good to go any day now (i might try tonight!)
You're nuts, man! Give it at least another week. If my pager goes off tonight, I'll know what happened (I'm on the River Valley Ground Search & Rescue).

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
with draper spotting me, i got geared up in my floater jacket and went out wed. night to test the ice in millidgeville. the ice was from 3 1/2 to 6" thick, with 4" being average. i didn't go out as far as where the shacks normally set up - we didn't have any fishing gear with us other than the auger, this was just a test, and the ice was getting thinner...! if it haddn't warmed up the last 2 days, we could have been fishing today, and there probabley are some crazy souls like me fishing right now (mine were not the first holes cut in the ice, but i did check out further than they did - whossies! lol
)

ps: just kidding about the whossie bit - way better safe than drowned!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Are thye any good to eat caught a dozen of em today some pretty big ones for tommy cod standards...through em back didnt know if they were worth eating

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Are thye any good to eat caught a dozen of em today some pretty big ones for tommy cod standards...through em back didnt know if they were worth eating
I know people who like eating them. I tried last year frying them like you would smelt, and it was good. I know people who boil them and swear by it.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
fish the bottom and you might catch some, if you can get the bait past the smelts and skalpin. try a flounder rig.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts