New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody caught a tiger trout in nb?

i fish about half the spots that should have them, but have never caught one or even heard of anyone that did, yet they are listed as in nb waters.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Ipop, UNB caught some during a study of NB fish species a while back. They are a rare occurance, and sont get very big.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i find it odd that they list a brown trout hybrid with brookies, which no one i know of seems to have ever seen, and yet don`t list the well documented brown trout land loch hybrid that is common enough to have special rules where it is found. add to it that these last hybrids are found where almost all the brown trout are still found (and where these tigers should most often be found), and i wonder if they ment brown trout hybrid, not specificly just tiger trout. (the brown trout-land loch hybrid has no local common name other than hybrid)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the picture they show on the unb site is tiger trout. looks like they were taken electro fishing, which means rivers here, which is wierd since there are only a few spots with browns in our rivers. i`ll have to check to see if they list it on/in the st. john.

anybody actualy catch one here?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i checked the unb cti river report and no tiger trout listed there, so maybe they were not found on a river, or at least not the st. john

·
Registered
84 Posts
havent seen one of those yet but have caught some hybrids you talk about in and around loch lomond lakes and little river system.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
wierd eh abaloeus?! i spent years fishing where the small browns meet with the brookies on little river and neaver landed or heard of a tiger trout. they say they are most often produced with a large brown female and a small brookie male. maybe our brookies don``t often get small enough? (i don`t want to even think that our browns aren`t big enough - lol!!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts