New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone,
I just joined the site today and i have to say that there is a lot of information on here. I have read a lot of your pickerel and striped bass stories. There are some nice fish in the gallery section.
Now onto my concern, I have been having a hard time understanding some of the borders on tidal waters. I know you do not require a license for fishing in these areas. Also to my understanding the bag limits and length limits are the same as the regular fishing season in non tidal waters? I am wondering for areas such as belleisle bay as far in as hatfields point? darlings island ? body of water next to old highway outside of hampton? Like how far in does tidal lines go, all i could find was the river stuff. Cambridge narrows or jemseg? Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
matt

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have looked over this thank you. Am I right to just follow the regular sport and non sport fish regulations?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
you have it basicly covered.
with one odd exception, in tidal water you have to have a provincial license to retain sport fish, and the size and catch limits run off the provincial rules for them. for none sport fish you do not need a license to keep so long as they also fit in the provincial rules for min/max lenghts. for limits of non sport fish in tidal, there are some times exceptions, which are listed in either the provincial rules or, more often in the ice fishing rules. what you can use for bait is also well laid out in the ice fishing guide sheet (ie; live/dead bait fish etc.). one section of tidal has the odd rule for ice fishing; tidal designated lakes - these exceptions allow you to keep with no license, set numbers and weights of both sport and none sport fish. the rules for size and numbers can vary by lake and again are on the provincial ice fishing rules page. so far as i can remember at the moment, that is the only realy odd rule for tidal, and only effects ice fishing.

for finding if a spot that is not spelled out in the link jim gave is tidal, the rule to keep in mind is all tributaries to any water not listed as an exception are not tidal waters. so if you are firshing that spot off the highway near hampton, if you are on the river side of the cove/bay you are in tidal, but if you go under that bridge and into the stream, even if flooded, you are in provincial non tidal waters. it can get a bit tricky telling exactly where some stream mouths are during spring flood, but we are mostly talking a very short difference and almost never comes up in practice.
belisle bay is all tidal (i think the springfield bridge is the mark but don`t quote me), darlings island area is all tidal - the hammond river tidal mark is the green train bridge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ipop for a little more clarification on the subject. I just wanted to get out for early pickerel fishin and maybe striped bass or sturgeon. I'm just gettin back into the fishin scene since I was younger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts