New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gday got a few days off, and heading over to new brunswick wit the wife. any ideas where to stay cheap, and the fishing superby. im use to fishing in ontario where the fishing is alittle more slective then where i have been for the last three years on p.e.i. any advice would be great

cheers

·
Registered
184 Posts
the st john river from fredericton down to the ocean has good sized stripers. from what i understand the closer to the ocean the better.

if you're camping you can check out "hartt's island campground". anything upriver of the campgrounds to the dam is closed to angling, but everything downstream is open and considered tidal water so you wont need to buy a liscence! note that there can be great striped bass and sometimes muskie action in that area. the stripers have recently come back into the area for the year and the action only gets better as the season progresses! just look for the telltale splashes of stripers in feeding mode!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rite on thank for the advice, what is this business about not needing a fishing licsecne, what does tidal waters mean? i have a little 10 foot boat and alittle out board would tha be too small for the st.john river

·
Registered
492 Posts
tidal waters means that the water level is affected by the tides from the ocean. In the case of the St John River system, it is the tides in the Bay of Fundy (home of the worlds highest tides). When water is designated as tidal you do not need to get a New Brunswick Fishing licence. You do, however, have to follow the New Brunswick fishing guides with regards to what fish are in season and if you can keep it or not.

The New Brunswick guide is published here:
http://www.gnb.ca/0078/publications/Fish-e.pdf

If you are really interested in stripers I would recommend closer to the city of Saint John than Fredericton, as I believe they are more common down there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
the st john river from fredericton down to the ocean has good sized stripers. from what i understand the closer to the ocean the better.

if you're camping you can check out "hartt's island campground". anything upriver of the campgrounds to the dam is closed to angling, but everything downstream is open and considered tidal water so you wont need to buy a liscence! note that there can be great striped bass and sometimes muskie action in that area. the stripers have recently come back into the area for the year and the action only gets better as the season progresses! just look for the telltale splashes of stripers in feeding mode!
The Fredericton area has some awesome Striper fishing.If you are willing to fish in the dark,the fishing can be unreal.Use a heavy leader, as there's always a chance of hookin Musky.I think most Stripers in the area are actually caught by people fishing Musky.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts