New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sooo much fun I can't take it; this fish rolled first, then a few casts later grabbed the fly and let go, then another couple casts and he came to stay - love it.

Again, close the video as soon as it opens because for some reason it opens twice and there will be another version playing at the same time.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=lxLoNvwtoNs

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great video, I gotta get me a headcam set up like that..
I'm a little disappointed that you can't see details like the swirl on the water at the take with this camera; the Hd version might be better but not sure because these cameras have a 180 degree wide angle lens which gives a "fish bowl" effect and objects directly in front of the lens appear a long way off. The better option might be to convince my wife to come and be my videographer lol:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know what you are saying .... But the idea is sound. I'm very interested to learn about your set up.

And good on ya for puttin them back.

I know folks who will debate if or not they keep a grilse matters. And some one will likely raise some question of if one of those released fish eventually goes belly up. The way I see it you did a great Job, were patient and did things right. Had you clobbered it --- it would be dead for sure.

I'm never killing another one.

Great video and I'm glad you didn't edit out the last few min. I look forward to future episodes.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know what you are saying .... But the idea is sound. I'm very interested to learn about your set up.

And good on ya for puttin them back.

I know folks who will debate if or not they keep a grilse matters. And some one will likely raise some question of if one of those released fish eventually goes belly up. The way I see it you did a great Job, were patient and did things right. Had you clobbered it --- it would be dead for sure.

I'm never killing another one.

Great video and I'm glad you didn't edit out the last few min. I look forward to future episodes.
Thanks for the kind words; the camera is a Drift X170 non HD version. When I was researching point of view cameras I found that there are quite a few good ones out there for decent prices.I went for a cheaper one to see how they would work. Here is a link to some discussion I raised about them on another forum;
http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=45940&highlight=POV+cameras

·
Registered
64 Posts
Great video!

Surprised again at the long release time of approx. five mins for a small grilse. Lee Wulf always advocated a rule where you should get the fish in at a rate of 1 min fighting per pound of fish, which is pretty much what you did.

I know they tend to expend a lot of energy when trying to get away from your hand because the line is so tight. I wonder if a wet cotton gardening glove might enable you to get it tailed on the first attempt instead of having to try a few extra times. But again it's obvious you're not overplaying them!

Might be that pool!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great video!

Surprised again at the long release time of approx. five mins for a small grilse. Lee Wulf always advocated a rule where you should get the fish in at a rate of 1 min fighting per pound of fish, which is pretty much what you did.

I know they tend to expend a lot of energy when trying to get away from your hand because the line is so tight. I wonder if a wet cotton gardening glove might enable you to get it tailed on the first attempt instead of having to try a few extra times. But again it's obvious you're not overplaying them!

Might be that pool!
LOL yes I should have used a glove for that slippery bugger; I find Juniper fish to play out easily, maybe because the water flows slower there or it's been such a long journey from Quarrieville. I landed a 10lb salmon there last summer in about five minutes; we made an awful mess of landing her though and the revival took almost an hour; hope she made it but I learned alot anyway.

·
Registered
64 Posts
LOL yes I should have used a glove for that slippery bugger; I find Juniper fish to play out easily, maybe because the water flows slower there or it's been such a long journey from Quarrieville. I landed a 10lb salmon there last summer in about five minutes; we made an awful mess of landing her though and the revival took almost an hour; hope she made it but I learned alot anyway.
My first salmon was an absolute mess. That was 15 years ago and it still bothers me, but like you said, I learned a lot. I figure if it takes one unlucky salmon to teach me some lessons that will last a lifetime, then so be it. But I find it very painful when I see video's of fish be totally misplayed. There's one in particular on youtube for Big Hole that makes me want to puke. Oddly enough it's not even the Big Hole guides there. Looks like someone pulled their boat ashore for a few mins.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Really enjoyed watching your cam video. It has me all hyped to get out and cast a fly! Particulary enjoyed your patience reviving that grilse. Thumbs up !!
Sooo much fun I can't take it; this fish rolled first, then a few casts later grabbed the fly and let go, then another couple casts and he came to stay - love it.

Again, close the video as soon as it opens because for some reason it opens twice and there will be another version playing at the same time.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=lxLoNvwtoNs

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well if I have to I will come along and do the video of you hooking up and landing the fish.. as long as you will extend the same to me.. just let me know when and where and I will be there.. If I have to call in sick for work then so be it for this.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really enjoyed watching your cam video. It has me all hyped to get out and cast a fly! Particulary enjoyed your patience reviving that grilse. Thumbs up !!
Thanks! I like the videos for cold winter nights when I've forgotten what it feels like to cast a fly let alone catch a fish.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well if I have to I will come along and do the video of you hooking up and landing the fish.. as long as you will extend the same to me.. just let me know when and where and I will be there.. If I have to call in sick for work then so be it for this.
HaHa! Unfortunately these hook-ups/landings are fewer and farther between than I'd like to admit but thanks for the vote of confidence.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts