New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had reports of small numbers of shad being spotted in Salmon river just before the big rain.
Will be heading up that way a couple evenings this week, will repost with sesults.

I will also try to post a couple pictures of some of the various shad flies that work for us.

If anyone makes it to Salmon river before I, be sure to share your success story on here!

M

·
Registered
169 Posts
they run up the salmon still do they? which part are you allowed to fish? You can jig a **** load of em down the west side if your so inclined, but the fly rod would be way funner.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly, not much interest in jigging anything. If I can't convince it to bite my hook, I'm not going to bite it with my hook either.

Fishing Shad may be some of the most fun I've ever had on a fly rod. When the time is right, seems you can't keep them off the hook!

M

·
Registered
540 Posts
Just to be clear.. jigging of any species in fresh water is illegal isn't it! A foul hooked fish is an illegally hooked fish and must be released at least that is my interpretation of the regulations... I guarantee you do not want to be caught by a CO jigging shad or any other species of fish.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yes, the rules are pretty explicit bout that. This is frm page 2 of the 2012 guide:

Jigging
• Manipulating a hook(s) to foul hook a
fish in any part of its body instead of its
mouth .
• Foul-hooked fish- those fish hooked
accidentally in any part of the body except
the mouth- must be released unharmed
immediately

·
Registered
260 Posts
I was up to the River tonight , it was only 10 C and really quite high, no takers yet Darn it , They got a pretty good rain last night up there so the river is still holding it own, it won't be long Matt..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the update OldGuide! Well, here's to hoping the river drops/clears some by Saturday, as I'm planning on floating a short stretch this weekend. A little sun late week should help temps as well. They don't seem to like the low 50's ....

I did manage to tie most of my flies during the past weekend, including a bunch of 3/16 barbel eyed darts. That should help getting them down!

Shad or no Shad, I'm sure I will bump into you soon enough up there.... You and Goodfly may want to run for cover when you see me show up, as I have many questions that need answered... as always!

Good Luck!
M

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ralph is he expert as he was the first to Catch shad on that River nearly 20 years ago now, With a Rod , and Fly fishing @ that . I am just the apprentice.
Ask away, they will be Takers up there if the water does not get to high and continue to Cool . the temps are getting better it will depend on the amout of rain we get the next 24 hrs, either way the next few days, I hope to see a pic of a Salmond River Shad and you in it!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Reg..... They should be there within a week or so. The commercial fisherman are starting to get em' in Grand Lake.... so I've been told. It won't be much longer now. If the weather cooperates, I may try it Sunday/monday just to see.... I'll be sure to re-post soon as the first ones are spotted in the river!

M

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reading about the Shad run really makes me miss being home..... On a positive note the annual Wha Ti ice fishing derby is going down this weekend!!!
(not joking either)!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts