New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... we don't talk about the trout fishing.

Hi guys. Not looking to single anyone out or start any flame wars, but there are implications for providing too much detail about "good fishing". Trout fishing is very popular. The places that can support good trout populations are not very common and can be hit hard in very short periods of time by angling pressure.

I would like to gently suggest that you do not come into these forums and ask about specific locations nor should you give specific directions. Lots of people can and do read these posts even if they are not members here. Not all of them feel the same way that you do about conservation. If you want there to be trout on your next trip, don't talk too much about your last trip.

Please don't make announcements about your great day. Telling folks that you got 4 fish over 18 inches on the Upper Little Main Brook is quite likely going to result in a number of people going looking for that brook. If you think the "sea trout" are in (relax, they aren't), great, perhaps keep it to yourself or pm a couple of guys that you like to fish with.

By all means, help the new guys. But help them to learn how to find their own fish, read water, read a map - don't publicly post that they should drive up xyz road and walk down the path on the left bank until they get to a string of two pools were there are sure to be monsters.

I hope you have a great season and many, many more seasons in the future.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I agree 100%. The trout population is in bad enough shape as it is and too much detail can lead to a great spot going bad FAST! Seen it happen.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sounds to me that Twinfan doesnt remember whats its like to just start out at this wonderful sport. There have been many great tips and great answers to the questions I have had from some of the members which I appreciate greatly. But no worries Twinfan I wont be asking for ur advice or where u go fishing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dont give away where you fish trout because next time you go there will be none to catch.
Seen it happen time and time again.

·
Registered
540 Posts
He never said he wouldn't help, he just mentioned that posting it to the open forum may not be the best solution. Talk generally for those that wish to learn, that is the best way for sure... other than that then PM a member and ask for specifics. Go and meet some of the members for a fish.. that is a good tell tale indicator on if I am going to divulge valuable information regarding a trout or salmon spot. When we all started fishing we asked our friends and our relatives in the areas we lived where to go, what to use.. and after that we were on our own.. use your imagination when fishing that is the key. Go to the little places out of the way that don't much traffic... you will get a far better bang for your buck when you get there. Most anglers who catch and keep (or at least it has been my experience) don't like to do the long hikes to get their meals.. take the trek.. enjoy the outdoors and you will be rewarded when you get there... there are some fantastic map books out that contain trails and paths as well as roads... Backroads maps are invaluable to an angler who is hunting for that next out of the way spot... it's part of the adventure.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Twinfan and Exstream are right. Especially here in NB, the mentality seems to be "If I don't take them all, the next guy will", and it applies to fishing spots, hunting spots, blueberry spots, fiddlehead spots, clamming spots, etc. etc. etc. So when somebody comes by a good spot, they are reluctant to post this info on a forum for everybody to see. In some cases it may be a spot that's been in the family "know" for generations, and it only takes one slip-up for a gang of folks to whipe it clean.

But on a more positive note, that doesn't mean you should be left out of the fun. I don't know where you live, Morton, but it doesn't matter. Do what I did this week: With the high price of gas, I decided I would attempt to travel less to find trout this year and attempted to find spots closer to home. (You should know that I am not from this area as my home town is two and a half hours away, so I'm basically starting out like you). I typically drive anywhere from 45 minutes to three hours for sea trout, going to spots I either know from way back, or have acquired along the way, and it's to the point that I can no longer do this a few times per week anymore without breaking the bank. So I went on Google maps and typed in the town where I live. I zoomed in until brooks started showing up on the map. At first I thought, "No way there's trout there!", but decided to give it a shot anyway. I printed all the brooks in and around my town, and I have been hitting a different brook every evening this week. Lo-and-behold, I caught trout in every single one so far, and two were even sea trout! And I didn't even drive more then ten minutes from my house! Who knew? The fact is, if you're in NB, just look for a brook and fish it. More likely than not there will be trout in it. You won't necessarily find the one honey hole where you will catch your whole limit in a matter of minutes, but if you're willing to put in the effort and the foot-miles, you will get trout. And if you look and try long enough, you eventually will find a few honey holes of your own. I now find the hunting for the fish is half the fun, if not more.

Now, like Exstream said, it ain't necessarily easy! I bush-whacked though thick alders and what-not, got pricked by hawthorns, and am still plucking out raspberry bush spines out of my hands, but guess what? The harder the going was, the more often that's where fish were holding, because like Extream said, the average "angler" can't be bothered with all the effort. He just want's a quick meal. And I'm talking tiny brooks with barely a foot deep of water and MAYBE two feet wide or less in places, I was pulling up to 11" trout. Not only is the trekking not easy, but the fishing is just as difficult with overhanging branches, log jams, you name it! Bring lots of extra hooks and spinners! But in every brook there are pools, submerged logs and big rocks, undercut banks, eddies, etc, and that's when you're gonna get lucky!

And on a final note, once you DO find good spots (and you will), keep a tight lip on it, otherwise it'll get raped and pillaged like any other.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I understand all that, its was that twinfan seemed to be knocking those who are helping people by telling them where to fish, well thats 100% up to them if they want to give up their spots, I have a few spots I keep to myself as well but thats my decision, if I decide to tell people where it is thats up to me as well. Thats all I am saying. He suggests not to come on here and ask for specific locations, well if people want to ask they should feel like its ok to ask, if you dont want to answer, then dont answer.This is an open forum is it not? While I agree in principle with twimfan in keeping your honeyholes to yourself, who am I to dictate what someone on here asks? Or who answers.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I really like the part about not making announcements about your great day, LOL, I caught the biggest fish I had ever caught not too long ago and it was thanks to someone on here telling me about a good spot to try, I then I wrote on here about my great day. I am sorry if that offended anyone but it was a great day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts