New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks, I've been hearing of people catching pickerel in the 30+ inch range. The biggest I've personally caught has been 25", and the biggest I've seen was 27" caught by my dad. I've got a pic of her if anyone would like me to post it. That one was caught in Nova Scotia in a Pothiers mill pond. For a while that lake held the Canadian record (just shy of 6 #). The one my dad caught we weighed at a local meat market and it came in at 5# 5 oz. If there are pickerel being caught that are 30 or more, then I would have to think they would weigh over 7#. I think I read once that the world record is around 8# and comes from Georgia??
Here's a youtube clip of some kid with a monster! At 00:49 you can get a good look at how big this sucker is. Looks to me to be over 30", but hard to tell as he's pushing it at the camera.

Let's hear about your BIG pickerel!

·
Registered
449 Posts
UPDATE
Nova Scotia boasts two entries in the Canadian National Fish Registry: a 54.06 lb striped bass caught in the Mira River, Cape Breton County in 1994 and a new Canadian record for chain pickerel from Western Duck Pond, Yarmouth county that weighed 5.77 lbs. breaking the former record of 5.7 lbs. caught in Pothier's Mill Pond, Yarmouth county.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I caught one at 24 5/8 inches and one at 26 inches. Both were caught this summer. One on French Lake and one at Chipman. Both pictures are posted on this site. They are great fun to catch.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Guess that New Brunswick fish isn't officially registered. Not sure New Brunswick has an official registry anyway,doesn't seem to be any records anywhere.
Damn "Bluenosers".

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yeah Canada doesn't seem to keep records like the Americans do, the 62 pound striper has been registerd as the Canadian record for years, I think since the 70's

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hmmmm, where are the provincial, Canadian and world records maintained? Is their some governing body for this?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Hmmmm, where are the provincial, Canadian and world records maintained? Is their some governing body for this?
Good luck trying to find them, I have looked and looked and can't find any central place for Canadian/Provincial records, just hearsay and rumors, nothing official. World records are kept by I.G.F.A

·
Registered
492 Posts
Good luck trying to find them, I have looked and looked and can't find any central place for Canadian/Provincial records, just hearsay and rumors, nothing official. World records are kept by I.G.F.A
Thanks for the IGFA info. That's something at least.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly (and it does so less and less each year)I seem to remember a few years ago when the NB government listed the provincial records in the annual fishing guide they give out with licenses so someone must be keeping the stats. If I remember correctly I thought a couple of the records were on the small side including the one for pickerel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't know how Nova Scotia can claim the Striper record at 54 pounds when it is on record that a 62.9 pound was caught near Reversing Falls Saint John.

Striped Bass Facts
that one wasn't weighed properly or something like that. they didn't take it to the right people, I don't know if its true or not, but I heard they did something wrong.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
nb no longer maintains any record for game - an example of our crapy dnr. when they were listed, they weren't even close to real numbers, partly since nobody knew who to contact, partly becuase legal scales were needed and nobody that had the legal scales was legaly allowed to weigh game...nuts! when i caught a 34" brown in lily lake i knew it wasn't the record, since somebody had caught one 36" just 2 days before, but it thought i would get it weighed legal and see what happened. it turned out i could convince some one to weigh it but since they were breaking the rules they wouldn't witness it - very frustrating. the fact i had 200people as witness during the fight and landing didn't count. i looked into it again after i messed up and destroyed the record yellow perch (i had the record by over a pound and 3 inches - no witness and i was looking for trout, i never realized until afterwards; and again when i landed a 28" speckled trout (no record but close!!!)

by the old records i believe they said it was a 24" pickeral (yah, right...!), a 10" yellow perch about 1#10oz (uh hunh...!), and a couple other odd records.
so i got into it a little deeper. i found out that georgia and south carolina were claiming records for pickeral, and that new brunswick was considered to have the largest by far, and n.s. was also in contention. there reasoning was they grew bigger here becuase we tried to exterminate them in the 20's like n.s. did in the 60's and 80's, resulting in only the biggest and baddest genes surviving. or so the story went. i don't think of pickeral by weight, just lenght and it has record both ways.

the americans do not acknowledge the n.s. stripers. they all talk about the 63#, never mention any more the 62# that had the record here for years before that one, and for this we can spread the blame between dnr and the feds, and a strange group of requirments for record fish. maybe abie can clear up or give more of a story, he was there at the time, and i have heard the story from him - 14# test, 12 or 14' rod, home made wooden plug, if i remeber right.

moose is another thing. they list alaska and nfld as having the biggest moose...but the nfld moose are from nb!!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
GMac, have u been fishing in McManus Lake recently?? Is there a boat launch there that is public? I would like to try catching a pickeral bigger than 25"!!!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
GMac, have u been fishing in McManus Lake recently?? Is there a boat launch there that is public? I would like to try catching a pickeral bigger than 25"!!!
There is no real boat launch at McManus that the public can get to, we go in at the far end down the road that parallels the highway. If you have a good 4wd you can get down there, it is a hell of a walk back up the hill with a canoe.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts