New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anybody tell me what is the best time of the year for fishing striped bass near the Miramichi area. I caught lot's of them in august and ive heard towards october was the best time fishing them.. Is that true or just a myth?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Could anybody tell me what is the best time of the year for fishing striped bass near the Miramichi area. I caught lot's of them in august and ive heard towards october was the best time fishing them.. Is that true or just a myth?
See page 26 of the fishing rules, no striped bass fishing in Mirimichi area

Please note - Closed season
No open angling season exists for the following species: striped bass.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are not allowed to target striped bass for C&R either budy
Uhmmm... I actually did encounter the fisheries 4 times this summer, and they where just checking to be sure i didn't had any in my possession. I just told them I was doing catch and release and they said it was ok..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool; might try it sometime, I'm pretty into trout/salmon but toying with the idea of trying Muskie/Stripers on flies.
Try it, I just use all black and all white lefty's deceivers and snake flies for stripers, when fishing at night i mostly use the black. Somehow they find it

·
Registered
428 Posts
The best fishing is always in the spring and fall. Basically May and October. The striped bass overwinter in the rivers of NB, spawn in mid may-early june, hang around feeding on the gaspereau until they all head back out to sea, they follow, hang around the coast feeding on herring, mackerel, squid and everything else, then come back up the river in the late summer to feed on the eels and young gaspereau/shad descending the river, then during the end of october, early november the tommy cod start to show up, then smelt so the striped bass feed on those through out the winter if they are so inclined.

I've found the big stripers to be most active once the water first warms up and there are very few gaspereau or shad in the river system during the spring. The end of Sept and the first couple weeks of Oct are good for getting big stripers in schools and seeing topwater feeding.

As for catch and release being ok, the wardens may only be allowing it due to the difficulty to prosecute you. I contacted DFO and DNRE offices in the area this year and they said absolutely no catch and release of striped bass. When I told them all kinds of people do it, they said they don't see that. Maybe that says something about the frequency of their patrols... or the fishermen that post about catching tons of stripers on the Miramichi are liars....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The best fishing is always in the spring and fall. Basically May and October. The striped bass overwinter in the rivers of NB, spawn in mid may-early june, hang around feeding on the gaspereau until they all head back out to sea, they follow, hang around the coast feeding on herring, mackerel, squid and everything else, then come back up the river in the late summer to feed on the eels and young gaspereau/shad descending the river, then during the end of october, early november the tommy cod start to show up, then smelt so the striped bass feed on those through out the winter if they are so inclined.

I've found the big stripers to be most active once the water first warms up and there are very few gaspereau or shad in the river system during the spring. The end of Sept and the first couple weeks of Oct are good for getting big stripers in schools and seeing topwater feeding.

As for catch and release being ok, the wardens may only be allowing it due to the difficulty to prosecute you. I contacted DFO and DNRE offices in the area this year and they said absolutely no catch and release of striped bass. When I told them all kinds of people do it, they said they don't see that. Maybe that says something about the frequency of their patrols... or the fishermen that post about catching tons of stripers on the Miramichi are liars....
Lol thank you for the information... I don't believe those fishermen are liars because i did caught over 20 striper a few times a day at the Hay Island bridge in Neguac (never seen fisheries there the entire summer).. I only encounter fisheries when I was fishing on a warf during lobster season lol

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
they probably didn`t bother you because they were dnr, not dfo which runs stripers. there is no c&rn for stripers on the east coast, just like no c&r for salmon on the fundy`s rivers. they have posted signs at many areas and as quoted, it says so in the guide book. closed. this fishery may open soon, but right now you are clearly breaking the rules by targeting them. the officers who told you different had to have known better. that said, it is common to treat them like other bass (small mouths), where unlimited c&r is allowed. (odd since smallies are also closed there!!!)

people are freaking out on the stripers on the east coast. they think they are new - maybe invasive, think they compete with salmon and are targeting them hard. wakey wakey! the reason they are "new" is they were wiped out! the miramichie used to be one of the top 4 producers of stripers in north america and they were fished out so bad they got down to just a couple hundred fish. these are endangered fish making a come back with help from first nations stocking in the st. lawerance. give them a chance to come back guys. i think they will open the season next year...

i can hardy wait to fish for them too. here`s why. the stripers on the east coast (of nb) are quite different from the stripers that run the atlantic from south carolina to ns and nb (maybe closer to the schubenackity stripers?). they haven`t been fished by 5 million people as they came up the coast, haven`t seen all the lures made by man 50 times every week, haven`t been c&r`d a dozen times as a little schooly growing up. instead they seem to hit anything right now without fear of getting caught, so it is easy to hook up with them mackerel fishing and salmon too. when the season is opened up they will be the easiest to catch stripers anyplace i can think of. since they are the prime big game fish in the north east, this may bring in a lot more tourist fishery than anything else except salmon. places like the outer banks and long island have traffic jams of fishers trying to get to the coast to striper fish - when was the last time you heard that about fishing? there, just like our east coast, they are a mixed bag of ages and sizes, unlike the st. john river system which is all adult fish with a much larger percentage of keeper and trophy stripers. i bet they break some rods this year ice fishing for smelt too.

ps: if you think you have to many stripers we will be happy to take them here on the st. john river - we think there can never be to many stripers!!! lol

soon guys, soon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just a tip for when dealing with any type of game or law enforcement, its not what they know, its what they can prove. It would be almost impoosible to convict someone of targeting a particular fish,They would have to prove your intent and thats almost imposible in any situation, unless they found you out at night, with a spot light and a harpoon or somthing, then your just fucked, just never admit to it. I find the DNR just love to fine people when they can so I offer up nothing to those guys. For me though any time the DFO says to lay off a fish I will listen.

·
Registered
64 Posts
yup i have o respect for dnr, any dfo ive encountered was no bs, but very knowlegable and professional,most dnr dont even know the laws- no bs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts