New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Asking this to learn more about the community and maybe pick up some tips or buddy fishing opportunities. I know some of you have blogs and profiles that already share all this stuff, and it seems like many (most?) of you already know each other, but perhaps a summary post that collects up some of this info might be fun to read or could start some conversations. (Hey, I could start a dating service if this takes off! :-D )

1 - What do you usually use to fish from, shore / kayak / small boat / larger boat?

2 - What general areas do you fish?

3 - What fish do you chase during what seasons?

4 - Are there ones you'd like to chase but haven't yet?

5 - What types of rod do you have and usually use?

6 - Exclusively catch and release, keep some, or generally keep legal-size fish?

7 - Are you interested in finding some new fishing partners? If so, what times and how frequently are you usually able to fish?

Here's my answers.

1 - Fish largely via trolling from 12' Sit-in kayak

2 - Lakes and larger streams near Saint John, and the river system (not much luck there yet). Hammond, Nerepis, occasionally the upper Kennebecasis (Hampton).

3 - So far, only late spring through fall - trout in the spring, bass in the summer, panfish and pickerel through those seasons. Would like to try winter fishing.

4 - Would love to try for stripers and sturgeon (and have some offers on those that I'm hoping I can follow through on), and shad when the run comes in. Saltwater fishing looks interesting.

5 - Have just about exclusively used standard Canadian Tire on-sale angling rods to date (broke several just learning how to fish so I'm glad I kept the initial investment at the low end), but I just bought a decent flyrod and 9' big-fish bass rod that I'm itching to learn how to use.

6 - Will keep most fish I catch that are legal depending on the species. Fish go back on good days when there's a bit of starting luck.

7 - Would be very open to fishing with some others - still consider myself very new and would like to learn how to be more successful. I have a roughly 8-5 weekday job and can often get out on the weekends.

Hoping some of you others might talk a bit about yourselves too.

·
Registered
315 Posts
1 . I fish from a boat , I have a 12' aluminum as well as a 15' deep v sylvan .. On the ice I have little shack as well as a portable that I will use when the enterence to the ice is bad and I can't drive on ..
2. I fish macadam every summer on a fishing trip , the rest of my summer fishing is mostly done in Maine as I trailer there on my time off. I use to fish more when I didn't have the kids .
3. Mostly pickerel trout and sm bass on the spring summer and fall ... Smelt in the winter unless head out to a lake for pickerel ( again not much of that since the kids came along ) but the kids love the ice shack .
4. Would like to try Muskie and spend more time with stripes .
5. My favorite rods to use are ugly stiks , you just can't beat the quality for the price . My ultra lite is very very fun ! After buying some higher priced gear and not seeing much difference I've gone back to my old favorites , shimano IX4000 ... Lined with power pro super slick 8 30# braid and a 30# floro leader ... I picked up the reels online for $13 each . They are $25 in your local Walmart or Canadian tire .. I actually picked up 2 rapala rods this summer at Canadian tire , for my kids ... They were I sale for $10 for a to and reel combo .. The reels are pretty cheep but the rods are great ... Light weight and with the powered pro line and the ix4000 they surprisingly cast very well and can cast all day without tiring ... ( pleasantly surprised with that find )
6. Catch and release 99% of the time except ice fishing smelt .... Tend to keep a feed or two of smelt for my folks and I !! I will keep my next legal size striper as I haven't had one in a few years ....
7. Always enjoy meeting other fisherman. However my opertunities to fish are often unplanned and at a moments notice .... My kids love to fish as well but at 6 and 4 there attention is short , and they get bored quickly and want to just run the boat as fast as she goes lol ....

Cheers jay

·
Registered
130 Posts
1. I fish mostly from shore! I don't own a boat! But every once in a while I will go mackerel jigging with local lobster fishermen!

2. I fish mostly Bouctouche, Rexton, Richibucto areas, and all in between small places!

3. I fish early spring Brooke trout, but once the strippers stat, that all I fish! then fish for smelt during hard water time!

4. I'll fish prety much fish anything that's willing to bite! I don't mind trying new stuff!

5. I like Cabela's rods, they are the only ones that still make a very good two piece rod! No one else does or are going away from them! I don't find much of a difference, and unless you don't mind eight foot rod tubes, then braking a rod is to much stress for me! I don't mind spending $70, $80 for a rod! Cabela's has a very good quality rod, for a descent price! As for reels, I love Abu Garcia and Diawa! I fish mostly baitcasting reels, and I find that these two brands suit me well! I will pay $150 to $200 for a reel! The reason I don't mind spending a bit more for rod and reels, is the quality of the materials used! I find any thing over those prices, unles your a pro and make a living at it, is to much!And I find that the quality of tackle is way better from the states for the same price as down here! For exeample, I got the Abu garcia Ambasadeur 6600 C4 reel from bass Pro for $131 delivered from the states to my door! The same reel down here will cost over $200.!

6. I catch and release all the fish I catch except for a few smelt and some mackrel for a nice luch on the cold days of winter! But next season, if I can catch a legal stripper, I will keep one for a BBQ!

7. I fish alone most of the time! I think it's because I don't like telling people where I go to catch fish, because I did that once, and that secret spot was invaded by idiots! But if someone would like to go, I don't mind tagging along and having a day of fishing! I work mostly 9 to 5:30 and every second weekend! Now with the new baby, well fishing has been cut back a lot!Retroboy, If you want to go fishing, if your down my way, send me a message and we can go for smelt, they should be running soon! And this winter, on the ice, I have a portable shelter, and we usualy go smelt fishing just about every Sunday,weather permiting!

·
Registered
149 Posts
First off let me start off by saying that this is a good idea

1. I own two boats a 12' lund jon boat with a 6 hp johnson and a 14' lowe jon boat with a 9.9 hp mercury. I also fish from shore in small streams and rivers
2. The hammond, the upper kennebecasis (sussex-norton) larger lakes and small lakes
3. Trout and landlocked salmon in the spring, sm bass in the summer, perch, smelt in the winter and trout on frozen lakes.
4. I would like to try my hand at strippers, sturgeon, atlantic salmon, and shad
5. I have a fenwick fly rod and my spinning rod im not to sure, my reel is a Diawa it works great.
6. For trout and salmon i keep them, i usually dont keep any under 13 inches. I keep all my smelt and give them away or eat them
7. Yes i am interested in finding new partners i am at school from 8:45-3:30 monday to friday

·
Registered
438 Posts
Great idea!

1. Fish either from shore, canoe, 12 foot aluminum, 9.8hp merc and just recently I picked up a 9.5 foot kayak, bought it mainly for hunting but have fished and plan to fish out of it more regularly

2. Grand lake/French Indian lake chain , mainly French indian and Maquapit, sj river between Fredericton and jemseg, as well as naashwaak and msw miramichi river from boiestown to doaktown, as well as a few others

3. basically everything that swims, but most time dedicated to pickerel, smallmouth and trout/salmon...and pickerel, perch, smelt and burbot through the ice

4.caught a few stripers but would love to target musky and sturgeon, they are on my to do list!

5.Huge fan of Abu rods and reels, have several Abu and mitchel combos, and some other brands but the Abu's are my fav by far...have a superfly 6 wt flyrod for trout, pickerel and other and a Greys 8wt flyrod for salmon

6. I keep some fish for a meal here and there but mostly catch and release

7. I fish a lot by myself but do like going with other people, especially for salmon and pickerel..or of course icefishing....trout I tend not to show many people where I fish unless its sea runs on a large river I work night shift so fish most mornings during the summer and weeknds the winter

·
Registered
41 Posts
1.I fish from the shore since I have baught myself a boat yet

2.I mostly fish the st jonh river and the nashwaak

3.I mostly go after small mouth bass and trout but this year I try out my luck with stripers and sturgeon which I caught one of each

4.I like to try musky haven't yet but plan to see if I can catch one this season coming

5.i use spincast rod and reel combo medium to light 6'6" for small mouth bass and trout and medium to heave 7' stripers and sturgeon

6. it usally catch and release for me but if I catch a good size trout ill keep a couple and the same with stripers

7.yes would be nice to find some one to fish with I usally fish with my son on the weekends I start 8 am till 3 or 4 in the afternoon

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
1. a) Mostly wade fish (fly fish), b) kayak fish, c) shore/wharf fish, d) occaisionally charter a boat for deep sea fishing

2. Any river/lake in NB, mostly in Kings County, Saint John County, Kent County, and Miramichi drainage system.

3. Early Spring: Brook trout. Late Spring/early summer: Brook trout, Atlantic salmon. Late Summer/early fall: Brook trout, Atlantic salmon, smallmouth bass, yellow/white perch, chain pickerel, striped bass, and whatever hits my hook. Winter: smelts, brook trout.

4. Not in NB fresh water. Tagged pretty much all of them. I'd like to focus more on saltwater species (i.e.-sharks)

5. 9 fly rods of various sizes and weights, 7 spinners (1 light action, 3medium action, 1 medium-light, 2 heavy) , 3 ice fishing + 2 in the mail.

6. Largely C&R sportfish (99%), keep maybe 10% of smelts caught.

7.Mostly fish solo, but occaisionally bring folks with me. It's my "me time" for peace and solitude to get away from it all.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hey guys,

1) Kayak as much as possible all year long. Outside of the traditional fishing season, I'll kayak in tidal for species like sturgeon. My last stugeon caught this year in kayak was Dec 5th, well after dark. I have a canoe that I'll use when fishing with a friend or the kids. No plans on getting anything with a motor.

2) Anywhere and everywhere. Ponds, rivers, and occasionaly even in the bay of fundy...all in kayak.

3) I'll go for any fish, especially when there is some to keep me company. When I have the kids I'll usually go for perch or pickerel. By myself I like the rush you get with the bigger fish like sturgeon and stripers. Nothing more fun than a big strong fish taking you for a ride!

4) Have only landed one striper, but it was my first year trying and I know I have lots to learn. Haven't tried Muskie yet and really want to get one of those. In NB I haven't landed a trout yet, which is what I grew up fishing in NFLD.

5) Depends on the fish. I've got 8 rods ranging from ultra light to medium heavy. The rod/line/reel are all chosen on game day to suit the species that is targeted.

6) 95% or more C&R. Have kept 2 of the 4 legal sturgeon I've caught and may not keep another. Would probably keep 1 or 2 trout a year, and if the kids catch them, I may bring home a feed of perch so we can say the kids caught our meal. I'd keep 1 or 2 stripers a year if I get to be more successful with them as well. Oh, and I'd keep smelt. Other than that it's all C&R.

7) Always! Anyone looking to get into kayak fishing or wanting someone along on a kayak fishing trip should definately put me on their friend's list! Summer is my 'slow' season work-wise, meaning I can get a lot of flexability to get out on the water.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just moved from Halifax and now I live very close to the Kennebecasis River - haven't had the change to get out fishing in NB yet and I'm also pretty new to it

1 - I prefer fishing from a boat but don't own one (hint hint - if anyone wants to take me out :D). I just purchased a Trident Angler 13 (Urban Camo) from Paul at Ecological Adventures - he's been great to deal with. Previously I have done mostly shore fishing in NS.

2 - I'm not picky and am up for whatever usually. Lakes, Rivers, Docks - wherever there's fish. Would be nice to get out on the water a bit but it's also nice to hang out on shore and share knoweldge/shoot the ****.

3 - I'm a big fan of SMB fishing. I'll also go for trout, pickerel, and whatever else. At this point I'm just trying a little bit of everything out. I'm hoping to get out for some stripers and maybe some sturgeon when the time is right. Also planning to do a bit of ice fishing for smelt this winter.

4 - I would like to go after stripers and sturgeon.

5 - I have a "cheap" shimano spinning rod with 10lb, "cheap" rapala spinning rod with 6lb, 9' 6wt redington fly rod that i'm very much still learning to use, 7' 4wt fenwick fly rod with a vintage reel, 1 shakespeare ice fishing combo on the way. In the spring I'm planning to get a good spinning rod/reel and try out braided line with the stripers. Also will likely be buying a cheaper (under $200) baitcaster combo with braided line to play around with. I'll be broke in no time!

6 - More interested in releasing than catching - but I do like to bbq some good trout/smb. I would like to try stripers on the bbq too.

7 - I'm looking to get out fishing with people as much as possible. Schedule is to be determined (full-time job). Would like to get out on the water whether that be in a boat/canoe or a kayak trip.

Retroboy, I'm up for some fishing in the spring. Gotta learn this whole Kayak thing first.

·
Registered
57 Posts
1 - Generally fish from a small boat with a 15hp on it, but fish from shore quite a bit.

2 - I mostly fish the Washedemoak and SJR system but I do fly fishing in the Lepreau and usually do a couple weekend in different areas around NB

3 - Trout in the spring, bass and pickerel in the smmer/fall, stripers later in the fall

4 - I would like to try sturgeon but haven't got around to it yet. Would also like to get out west and catch some walleye someday

5 - I use ugly stiks almost exclusivly because they are low mainanance and don't break. I break graphite rods too easily, I really should use rod cases. Spin-cast is my preference, I havent mastered the bait caster and dont think I ever will.

6 - C&R mostly, but will keep the odd fish here and there, maybe 4 or 5 fish a year.

7 - I fish whenever my wife and my work boss let me, so some evenenings and weekends, and I'll fish with almost anyone aslong as they keep it fun and not too serious. I fish to relax

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just moved from Halifax and now I live very close to the Kennebecasis River - haven't had the change to get out fishing in NB yet and I'm also pretty new to it

1 - I prefer fishing from a boat but don't own one (hint hint - if anyone wants to take me out :D). I just purchased a Trident Angler 13 (Urban Camo) from Paul at Ecological Adventures - he's been great to deal with. Previously I have done mostly shore fishing in NS.

2 - I'm not picky and am up for whatever usually. Lakes, Rivers, Docks - wherever there's fish. Would be nice to get out on the water a bit but it's also nice to hang out on shore and share knoweldge/shoot the ****.

3 - I'm a big fan of SMB fishing. I'll also go for trout, pickerel, and whatever else. At this point I'm just trying a little bit of everything out. I'm hoping to get out for some stripers and maybe some sturgeon when the time is right. Also planning to do a bit of ice fishing for smelt this winter.

4 - I would like to go after stripers and sturgeon.

5 - I have a "cheap" shimano spinning rod with 10lb, "cheap" rapala spinning rod with 6lb, 9' 6wt redington fly rod that i'm very much still learning to use, 7' 4wt fenwick fly rod with a vintage reel, 1 shakespeare ice fishing combo on the way. In the spring I'm planning to get a good spinning rod/reel and try out braided line with the stripers. Also will likely be buying a cheaper (under $200) baitcaster combo with braided line to play around with. I'll be broke in no time!

6 - More interested in releasing than catching - but I do like to bbq some good trout/smb. I would like to try stripers on the bbq too.

7 - I'm looking to get out fishing with people as much as possible. Schedule is to be determined (full-time job). Would like to get out on the water whether that be in a boat/canoe or a kayak trip.

Retroboy, I'm up for some fishing in the spring. Gotta learn this whole Kayak thing first.
@ The RealCraigAc, Just a bit of advice on the baitcasting outfit you plan to get! It's probably gonna change the way fish forever! I stated using these outfits about five years ago and I will noy go back to spinning, other than trout fishing in the spring! DO NOT START OFF WITH BRAID LINE! If, or should I say, when you get a birdsnest or overun, braifd line will be five times worseto untangle than mono! I know it happened to me and at the price of braid, cutting off a $35 spool of line, and throwing it away was harsh! Start with mono, nothing lower than 12 pound test, then practise, practise, practise. I've been baitcast fishing for five years, and only now do I feel confidsent enough! You will pick it up fast, with practise you will get fewer and fewer birdsnests, You will get them, just not as often! But when you get used to it, you wont fish heavy outfits with spinning reels again, or alot less! Good luck and good fishing!

·
Registered
184 Posts
@ The RealCraigAc, Just a bit of advice on the baitcasting outfit you plan to get! It's probably gonna change the way fish forever! I stated using these outfits about five years ago and I will noy go back to spinning, other than trout fishing in the spring! DO NOT START OFF WITH BRAID LINE! If, or should I say, when you get a birdsnest or overun, braifd line will be five times worseto untangle than mono! I know it happened to me and at the price of braid, cutting off a $35 spool of line, and throwing it away was harsh! Start with mono, nothing lower than 12 pound test, then practise, practise, practise. I've been baitcast fishing for five years, and only now do I feel confidsent enough! You will pick it up fast, with practise you will get fewer and fewer birdsnests, You will get them, just not as often! But when you get used to it, you wont fish heavy outfits with spinning reels again, or alot less! Good luck and good fishing!
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely take your advice and start off with mono (and I think maybe even something on the cheaper side with the expectation and it will not last long).

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Don't buy a bait cast setup from walmart or Canadian tire, they are cheap and you won't get the real experience of a good quality baitcast reel, as for mono, I would go with braid, baitcasters work better with braid, and it isn't hard to clear a birds nest. Mono has a memory and will tend to stay coiled but if you get good braid, it is soft and has virtually no memety so it comes off the reel better.

·
Registered
651 Posts
In the spring I'm planning to get a good spinning rod/reel and try out braided line with the stripers. Also will likely be buying a cheaper (under $200) baitcaster combo with braided line to play around with. I'll be broke in no time!
I can only speak to what works for me.

The Bass Pro Tourney Special low profile bait caster rod/reel is a great one to start with, under $100 and often on sale. I use it as my go-to setup (med/heavy) for sturgeon and even caught my 32.5 inch striper on it as well. While I wasn't trying for striper at the time, it held up great and I felt no fear that the rod or reel wouldn't hold up. It has a great mix of backbone and sensitivity. Being my first baitcaster, and not knowing any better I lined it with 40 lb braid right off. I got a couple of backlashes the first week, but after that I've only got one since. Note, that most of the time I'm not going for long casts, but rather large fish / short casts so that definately helps me keep the backlashes to a minimum.

For SMB I'm planning to stick to my spinning reels that are lined with 8 - 12 lb line that I'd use to try and catch a large brown or laker. For perch and other smaller stuff, use light / ultra light with 6 - 8 lb line and a spinning reel.

For XMas I got myself a strong OffShore Angler spinning reel to take out in the Bay of Fundy or perhaps use as a second reel for stripers. It was the only thing I got myself this year above $20, and to be honest I didn't really need it, but I have a new 11 Foot Fin-Nor rod with no reel that I'm going to mount it on just in case I find someone with a boat to take me out in salt water or perhaps to chase muskie or stripers at the Falls.

As you get into kayak fishing, especially in NB you will find there is a ton of species, and a ton of different conditions to fish. Your eventually going to want every kind of rod/reel set up to handle pretty much every situation you can think of... especially if you stick with IPop and I! lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. The bass pro baitcaster sure sounds good and the price is right!

·
Registered
351 Posts
1. Shore fish and wade small brooks for trout , and ice fish in the winter
2. Mostly fish Grand lake and small brook around the area . winter I fish Grand ,Indian and French lake
3.Pickerel ,perch and trout in summer months , pickerel smelt ,perch burbot and whitefish in the winter months
4 Musky
5My gear is all from canadain tire .
6. I keep a couple feeds of trout in spring , pickerel mostly released, burbot keep most if there good size, smelt keep, perch mostly catch and release, whitefish keep a few bigger ones .
7 game to go fishing with anyone , just depends when I'm working . but few day notice and I can go

·
Registered
216 Posts
What a great idea retroboy

1) I fish almost always from boat. But have gone fly fishing a few times and on Sundays when I'm not at the trailer I love to kill the day fishing mackerel from the wharf in shediac. But they think I'm crazy when I throw them back. Now I give them to who ever is beside me.
2)I mostly fish french and Maquapit lake, the sj river,I have been going to Coles island a lot. I have a trailer on grand lake but not to successful there. It has to be me! It's a big body of water and should be full of every species.
3) I lived in Ontario for 15 yrs and got hooked on fishing, really no pun intended. Northern pike are similar to Muskie but are everywhere like pickerel. The same as walleye not as aggressive but they put up a great fight and are great tasting. Since I've been back to NB I fish mostly pickerel. Had a great day at Strawberry marsh for stripers,really have to make sure I spell that right,all you guys catch that misspelling right away.ha ha ha. We had 15 stripers between two guys,no keepers but what a fun day.
4) I would love to go for sturgeon, almost went last year but my friend backed out at the last min. I was jealous reading about all your caught sturgeon.
5) my fishing partner 90 percent of the time is my 14yr old son. We have a lot of fun he is quite the caster in weeds or under over hanging trees. But go with friends as well. I caught a couple barracuda and wahoo down south as well as a six foot marlin which got off at the boat. I fish mostly catch and release but would keep a salmon or striper once or twice a season. I enjoy teaching him to release and handle them properly.
6)I have about six crappy tire rods ($10) I keep a couple under the trailer that we use for dock fishing and a couple in the boat for kids or emergency. I have my two fly rods that I need to use more and my 7' ugly stick that I love. I have a Lewis speed stick with a less speed spin 300 that I won at the boat show last year that I use a lot and a couple heavy duty rods I hope to use more of.
7) I like to follow these forums to learn where to go and what to use. I never fish alone so would welcome going out with a few people and fish some new spots and species.

·
Registered
407 Posts
1. Grew up fishing from shore all around carelton county, now live in the asshole of the maritimes, looking to move to Fredericton, experienced owning a 14' boat last year with Honda 8hp, good to get the feel for boating, these past few months I have up graded to a very large 16' and a new merc 25hp efi 4 stroke, picked up a trolling motor, just looking for seats now, the 14 was too small for lake fishing. cant wait for opening day!

2. I have fished all over NB, but prefer the sj river in freddy and Woodstock.

3. Atlantic salmon on the miramichi first thing in the spring, then hit the lakes for landlocks asap until early june. Bass, Pickeral, Perch, Brookies, and whatever else bites all summer. fall fishing is not an option, hunting takes over hah.

4. Mission for this year is muskie and stripers.

5. I have 2 spinning rods, and 2 fly rods. Love all of them equally. I like the medium action on the spinning so I can handle the landlocks in the spring, but is also awesome for bass in the summer. one fly rod is a 8.6' and the other is my baby, 9' which I use for the miramichi river.

6. catch and release 99.9% of the time, our waters are so polluted especially the sj river, I c&r. If Im in a lake and catch a really decent landlock, I will keep it for a feed, but that only happens 1 maybe 2 times a year. C&R is by far the best practice.

7. I am always open for meeting new outdoors men, but my boat has limited room, my gf always goes with and my good buddy has a seat reserved as well, I do have 4 seats but my brother usually tags along too so im loaded, and none of the are willing to give up a seat haha especially my gf, she likes fishing more that basically everyone I know, but I would enjoy going for a day with a few other boats, see some new areas, and share tactics. I fish every weekend, and if I can move to Fredericton I would fish everyday. Here in Moncton the fishing is garbage and over populated. there is nothing good in Moncton, but when cabelas comes, it will be the only good thing here imo.

Ben

·
Registered
9 Posts
1 )I fish from shore a lot of times or I will fish out of my inflatable sea-hawk 2

2) I like to fish rivers,brooks lake pretty much anywhere really I just love to fish

3) I fish for whatever seems to biting or running

4) would love to try Muskie or sturgeon fishing

5) I love to use my storm thunder stick for bass / pickerel fishing and I have sweet little trout rod and reel combo I picked up at bass-pro shops for trout ,catfish ,etc

6) if its legal and in season I keep it and eat it we eat a lot of fish

7) always up for fishing with different folks

G

·
I poked around and didn't find an introduction thread, so I guess this is it... Great idea for a thread, by the way.

Okay...

1 - No boat currently, so I fish from shore in the spring, then once the water comes down I'm always wading.

2 - Generally the Kennebecasis, but will wet a line just about anywhere.

3 - I fish trout mainly, from the time I can get in the river, until the rulebook says I have to get out. I used to fish bass a fair amount in the Petitcodiac and Turtle creek (used to, obviously), and fished bass, landlocks, and trout in Big/Little Mac, Harvey Lake, and Lake George. Also bows in Crooked Creek, Stripers now and again...

4 - I lived in northern BC for a few years, so I got to cross a lot of fish off the bucket list out there...grayling, Dollys, Walleye, LyngCod (Burbot), big perch, and big pike. I fished salmon when you could release fish all day but haven't had the urge to chase them in 20 years or so. About the only thing around here that I'd like to fish but haven't would be sturgeon, I guess.

5 - I have the usual 3-4 spinning rods. A 4-pc Fenwick Feralite which is hopefully, this summer, going to be packed into some stretches of river that I know exist but have been too lazy to hump in to in the past. I do most of my fishing with one of 2 Fenwick 8.5' fly rods...both were hand made by my father when he was building rods.

6 - When they breed a fish with no bones and that tastes like a hamburger, I'll start eating them...until then, they all go back. The exception is if I'm camping with a friend and they love trout, I'll bring a few pan fish back for them for a treat.

7 - I fish specific spots for the solitude and peace, so if I can fish all day and not see another human being, it's been a great day. That said, it's time to get to some new and different places so I wouldn't turn down an invite if someone was to offer one up, so if someone's looking for some weight to balance out the boat, or just wants to get out and drown some worms, drop me a line. I have no problem chipping in for gas to share a vehicle, gas for the boat, whatever. I'd also like to take the time to park and walk more than I have been...hit those less-accessible sections of water....so if someone's up for that sort of thing, let me know. Sometimes it's good to have a 2nd person along depending on where or what you get into, and it's great to fish a couple miles of river and have a 2nd vehicle to jump into instead of having to walk all the way back.

I've taken newbies out flyfishing their first time, and enjoyed showing them the ropes and then watching while they had a blast catching 8" trout...almost as much as doing it myself...so, if anyone wanted to try it out, let me know..I don't mind sharing gear to let someone see if it's something want to invest in. I always take a week of holidays in June to chase the sea trout (it's the 16th-20th this year if anyone's heading out during that week), and can generally get away nearly every weekend.

Yes...all my posts are this long-winded. Deal with it.. :)

Okay, sorry, it's been a long winter, and I'm obviously looking forward to getting out there...I'll quit typing and maybe go organize my spinning gear...again....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts