New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about buying a shelter and power auger.

What do you like best and what do you hate the most about yours?

·
Registered
12 Posts
bought my shelter at costco love it so far the accesorie like tie down are on the cheap side and there is only two small removable window but overal excellent prosuct it is 600 denier material so it is somewhat warm

·
Registered
260 Posts
Auger .. I like the Powered Eskimo one I have, had it for years , lot of use still works like a Charm,, It is a 10 in that way you can Drop Minnow Traps down the hole and them big Burbutt can get there head through the hole , I can still remember looking down a 6 in hole at a Burbutt with a 9 inch head in our Tournament years ago it was not a good Feeling.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've been around people with power augers, and almost bought one two years ago. However, instead I bought an auger adapter from CDN Tire and use my hand auger with my cordless drill. It works amazingly well and fast, and punches many holes in an outing. Enough holes that while hake fishing with several lines out and moving a few times, the battery never ran out.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PierreLuc what kind of shelter and what did it cost?

Old Guide LOL I can just imagine! Looking at different augers I'm tempted by the propane ones. I hate screwing around with small two-strokes.

Atoqwa'su that sounds like a great solution. Do they still sell them? I'd surely consider one of those.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Lobsterman, I will post a pic of the costco shelter as that is what i bought last year also .I believe it was the price mentioned above. I also bought a drill adapter and it works real well with a couple of mods so if the chuck happens to loosen , your auger doesn't go to the bottom of the lake, haha

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ive got an ht instashak ive had for going on 6 years now..its in rough shape but still held up good..considering i get out upwards of 30 times a winter itd well used lol only issue is i broke a roof pole but that was my own fault..for augers ive got a jiffy white lightning 9 inch and a rapala nitro 8 inch..had the jiffy for 12 years it still runs like the day it was bought..few issues like a broken starter and throttle but over 12 years of hard use not bad..the nitro works very well for what i paid for it..it can be slightly cold blooded some days but hadnt let me down yet...plus side to it all eskimo parts will fit it..and blades are cheaper..the jiffy blades are expensive but i cut 1000s of holes over 8 years before i replaced the blades...the nitro is on year 4 and blades are starting to dull.. jifffy parts have to be ordered fro manufacturer tho. As for speed..jiffy drills a bigger hole quicker, but sometimes bogs down in a lot of ice or slush..the nitro rarely bogs down or fetches up. Right now i run the jiffy for setting minnow traps and fishing burbot and take the rapala fishing most often as its a bit lighter and i can mpre easily unmount the powerhead for easier transport...hope that gives ya a little info

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All of this is very helpful and appreciated.

This stuff ain't cheap! So I want to invest wisely - if I invest at all.

Keep it coming!

·
Registered
12 Posts
its worth the investment thats for sure i invested this year i use to fish right on the ice with just a rod and a bucket and i couldnt be happier that i went and bought all the equipment needed it makes for better days on the ice !!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just had my HT instashak 4 man replaced by warranty. Within a year the zippers all broke, kinda strange. They since discontinued the 4 man instashak at Canadian tire so I was able to get my money back. paid 250 plus taxes. That's when I saw the Eskimo quickfish 3 at Canadian tire, for the same price. To my surprise, the quickfish 3 and instashak 4 are the exact same size on the ice, only 4 inches shorter. IMO, the Eskimo is a much better quality shack than the HT. Better material, large windows, opposed doors. I've only fished it once so far but I'm 100% satisfied with my new quickfish.

For an auger, I run a 10'' Jiffy 30 series. 3hp Tecumseh and quite heavy, but works great. I really like the 10'' holes, wouldn't have it any other way now. At least 10 years old and runs like new. Other than being heavy brutes, I've never heard anyone bad mouth a Jiffy!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I love my clam nanook flip shelter. only with the strongest winds do I have to anchor it down and seconds to open and much lighter then a pop-up. Easier to setup as well. I was lucky and found it at canadian tire on clearance for $225. Another benefit is it comes with seats and sled built in, so there is savings and simplicity there. Everything is already in the shelter (sled) so you can get to fishing that much quicker. Makes it easy to move if the fishing is not good in that spot. with a pop-up you tend to spend long hours in one spot, even if the fishing is not good, because of the time to tear-down and setup is so long.

The seats are uncomfortable, but luckily the swivel seats slip on and off with the same brackets as my boat, so I use my comfy boat seats in it. It does have a lot of drag on the snow, but with two people pulling it's not too bad. But thinking about mounting a couple of pairs of cheap skiis on it so it pulls easier.

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/shelters/fish-trap/nanook.html

I'll echo the hand auger conversion with cordless drill. I have a 5" and get over 20 holes on one battery of my Ryobi. For under $100 and much lighter, smaller package to carry and waaay cheaper then any other auger alternative. I added cheap electrical PVC conduit for an extension for when the ice gets thicker, and threaded rod if the auger falls out of the drill chuck to keep it from falling down the hole (REQUIRED!). I covered threaded rod with heat shrink.

link to drill adapter: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/electric-ice-drill-adapter-0788167p.html

IMG_20151219_01120.jpg

IMG_20151219_01124.jpg

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Likely gonna go with the Quickfish3 as its on sale.

Soooooo many options!

I've already gone looking for the drill adapter but they are sold out. Gonna check and see if they'll order me one.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Found the last drill adapter in southeast NB.

CTC has a couple left in Amherst and Sussex, none left in the Moncton area any more.

Hesitating on the shelter for now until I get the bill for the latest atv repairs.

·
Registered
386 Posts
You will like the drill adapter. With my drill, my auger punches a 24" hole in under 10 seconds. And the best part is, you don't have to pull the crank to start it, not to mention it's very light weight and takes little to no room as compared to a gas auger.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts