New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Page A4 for those who get the paper. I can't cut-and-paste from online so here's the summary.

- Miramichi Salmon Association calls for an unrestricted striped bass season in the Miramichi estuary to control populations that are eating salmon smolt.

- Population of stripers there is estimated as high as 400K

- Mark Hambrook and Bud Bird say "untold salmon smolt" are eaten from the 1.8 million that annually pass outward from spawning grounds. If each striper eats 5 smolt the population is annihilated.

- Recommends to DFO to have unrestricted striper fishing for 2 months starting this April, annually recurring until the striped bass population is reduced to "a balanced conservation level".

- Benefits include First Nations viable commercial fishery, relieving pressure on salmon, and opening up fun for anglers.

- Federal fisheries issued a statement that they've been talking to aboriginal and recreational fishing groups.

- DFO has kicked off a three-year striper feeding-habit study this year. Identifies that stripers are still a species of concern in the southern Gulf of St Lawrence region.

- Numbers of returning grilse to Miramichi reduced from 45K in 2011 to 8K this year.

- It is estimated that as many as 50% of salmon don't survive the outward trip through the estuary, with striper predation long suspected as a cause.

My take: I wonder how they get those numbers, and am nervous whenever anyone tries to annihilate native anything (I'm assuming stripers are a native fish). Culls (e.g. seals) are ok to balance off the other messes that we've made with nature, but two months of completely open fishing is a bit concerning.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
My question is how did the salmon and striped bass survive before man showed up. Salmon and striped bass have been going up and down the Miramichi thousands of years before we were here, and they seemed to coexist quite well

·
Registered
598 Posts
My question is how did the salmon and striped bass survive before man showed up. Salmon and striped bass have been going up and down the Miramichi thousands of years before we were here, and they seemed to coexist quite well
I like to think of it as the "George Orwell-Animal Farm Principal of Management": All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Example: The American alligator (considered ugly and dangerous) was added to the endangered species list in 1973. In 1977, Bridget Bardot ( and a whole lot of other publicity-seeking celebrities) decided to get their pictures taken holding cuddly little seal pups from a non-endangered species. Never crossed their minds to snuggle up to, nor even acknowledge the endangered reptile.

(oddly enough, in 1987 the alligator was delisted, having recovered through the quiet and uncelebrated activities of wildlife management agencies; that same year, the harvest of 'white coat' pups was banned, yet this alleged atrocity still continues in the minds of many 'conservation-minded' groups.)

Brent

·
Registered
651 Posts
The problem with "science" is that whomever is reporting the numbers, are doing so in a biased way and hence skewed way. Thats bascially true about most any topic for which there are stats produced.

Ex: Studies show that 99% of men know that 99% of women are bi.

OK, that one may not be totally scientific, but now that I put it on the Internet, that at least makes it factual right? :rolleyes:

Anyhow, at to the subject matter at hand, in an ideal world both populations would not only co-exist but thrive. Has it ever been that way in the past, and if so what's changed? Perhaps there were additional food sources for the stripers that are no longer there, so they are now relying on the salmon population more? It's a complex discussion, that is for sure.

If the striper population can sustain 'open season' for a couple months, then I'd be for it... though I think there should be some sort of limit placed (4 per person per day or something) so that select individuals don't go completely overboard as would be bound to happen.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Damn Jim... I haven't been around the forum for a long time but I suspect that line of thinking won't make you a lot of friends with the salmon anglers! That being said, it might work out better than a cull of the striper population. I don't think we will ever see it happen though... too much politics with salmon fishing in New Brunswick to see a ban put on it.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
From what I've seen, if it isn't a salmon then it needs to be killed. But the salmon fishermen won't stop fishing them, and the natives have the right to put nets in the rivers and kill what they want. Also what about trout eating smolts, trout will eat anything that goes in their mouths as will most fish. I'm sick and tired of the salmon fishermen complaining about everything killing salmon while they continue to fish them.

·
Registered
315 Posts
From what I've seen, if it isn't a salmon then it needs to be killed. But the salmon fishermen won't stop fishing them, and the natives have the right to put nets in the rivers and kill what they want. Also what about trout eating smolts, trout will eat anything that goes in their mouths as will most fish. I'm sick and tired of the salmon fishermen complaining about everything killing salmon while they continue to fish them.
Now to me that last statement makes sence . If you want to do everything in your power to help the salmon then stop fishing them .. Take a couple years off.. If your not targeting them then your 1 less reason for the decline . When the salmon population was healthy many years ago people were netting them by te hundreds and selling to local restaurants to make a quick easy buck . In my opinion most of the great things we have/had have been under appreciated and harmed by man .... Ex our forest are depleting we better start planting trees ... Why are they depleting because man cut em down . Personally I love to fish , I'm pretty much all catch and release ( except smelt , and the 1 striper I get every 3 years or so ) so the species of fish I target doesn't matter to me ...they are all fun !!! People say there's no better fighting fish then a salmon , well let me tell ya ,a 30 " pickerel screaming across the water attacking your lure is pretty freaking fun ! Then hailing that bad boy in with ultra light rod is pretty good fight as well .

Maybe we should put signs in the rivers to tell the stipers where to go so they go where the salmon are not !

Now before you jump on me about the sign ^ . It's a joke !! This convo for some reason reminded me of the women who call the radio station requestin the govt move the deer crossing signs to lesser traffic areas because so many people were hitting the deer crossin the road near the deer signs .... She actually thought the signs told the deer where to cross the highway. !!
some peoples kids !!!!! Lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts