New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner

Summer entries for the AOTY

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Admeister 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here is the new lead for the AOTY, any entries on the Spring lead after June 18 will count towards this. Enjoy the Summer's Fishing!!

for the summer and fall I will not require the token - seems to cut down the number of entries, instead I will give a bonus 2000pts for each period/half month it is used in

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
So I maxed out on the "most common" freshwater summer-species here in southern NB (someone feel free please to call me on that).

Pickerel (longest 23.5")

#1 #2 #3

White perch (longest 9.5")

#1 #2 #3

Yellow perch (longest was bloody microscopic so I didn't even bother measuring it)

#1 (for #2 and #3, see below)

Brook Trout (longest 10.5")

#1 #2 #3

Smallies (longest was 16.5")

#1 #2 #3

And bonus picture, TWO STUPID YELLOW PERCH both attacked my lure that was as big as it was. Dumb fish double-header anyone? Sheesh!

DSCF0268_zps4gocym0k.jpg

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
About to have a bad case of 'real life' (nothing serious) that's enough to preclude fishing for a while, so here's my 1st half of August month a bit early - will fishing posting the rest a bit later.

First the plain janes, just for completeness

Yellow Perch (longest a whoppin' 7.5") #1 #2 #3

Creek (?) Chub (longest 9.5" #1) #2 #3

White Perch #1 #2 (#3 longest about 11")

Smallmouth Bass #1 #2 (#3 longest at 16")

Pickerel #1 #2 (for #3, the 24" toughie that was a lot of fun, see below)

Pumpkinseeds - perfect for an aquarium. #1 #2 #3 Longest 6.5"

And now the new species for me:

Mackerel (first time caught in kayak): (for #1, #2 and #3, see pic below)

Atlantic (Harbour) Pollock (first time caught ever, longest about 10.5") #1 (for #2 and #3, see pic below)

------------

Here's my largest pickerel to date for the contest at 24". Unfortunately the dumb photographer cut off the tail in the pic and didn't get the bumpboard clearly enough. Ah well.

DSCF0289_zpsebopbpus.jpg

Pollock: just got one into the boat when another two hit. Lots of fun, they fight hard! About the most fishy-looking fish I've ever seen.

DSCF0301_zpsjzola5zc.jpg

And here's my mackerel triple. They really are a beautiful fish.

DSCF0273_zpslyvfatwj.jpg

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Photobucket was down for maintenance last night so I couldn't post the second half of August until now. Didn't get much fishing in due to travel, so it's a light haul of species this time around.

Yellow Perch #1 #2

Pumpkinseed #1 #2 Watching them zip around when hooked near shore is fun!

Creek (?) chub #1 #2 #3

Brook Trout #1 #2 (see #3 below)

Pickerel #1 #2 #3 - forgot my bumpboard but the first one was well over 22".

And the nicest three:

Here's the results of a mackerel cast at Beaver Harbour - the three on the bottom were mine and the fourth King-sized baby was a gift from the guy I was chatting and fishing with. These go with another dozen I caught from the kayak at nearby Black's Harbour.

DSCF0337_zpsjp7gtknr.jpg

A trip to BC got me this Black Rockfish (aka Sea Bass). No luck on the group salmon charter for me besides a flounder (which I neglected to snap a shot of) and this guy, who bit the line JUST as the Captain was telling us to bring our lines in to go home. Special bonus: I learned the hard way about a beautiful drug named Gravol on that trip. Will NOT make that mistake again. :)

DSCF0318_zpswknwbnf7.jpg

And here's a beautiful 13" speckled trout.

DSCF0342_zpsua0mn4p1.jpg

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I also got three smallies, but every one was smaller than Craig's smallest so he takes the smallmouth lunker prize. Bonus though - I got to use the word 'small' 4 times in the same sentence. #1 #2 #3

Here's the "usual culprits", nothing special.

Yellow perch #1 #2 #3 <-- all tiny but caught during a massive flying-ant hatch that had little bugs all over the water. These guys were feasting and so were the smallies - on them. Was a good night fishing!

White perch #1 #2 (9" longest) #3

Chub #1 #2 and #3 caught within seconds of each other in the same area as the first, longest only 7.5"

Pickerel fishing (really tough going due to the big rains making everything murky, finally figured out they could smell live bait) #1 (17" and a bit) #2 #3

Brookies #1 (9.5" longest) #2 #3

My first sculpin in the kayak. Bleh.

DSCF0366_zpskndl1ofk.jpg

And a lovely triple-plus of mackerel. Learned the hard way not to fish with two sabiki rigs because both of them got hit hard and by the time I got the first one cleaned up the second was tangled tighter than my high-school girlfriend's brain. Longest was just shy of 14", and they were stunning on the barbecue with a little pepper and greek spice.

DSCF0365_zpsien8rfm9.jpg

#12 ·
So these go against my summer total as I caught 'em in the 2nd half of September but before the season changed.

Smallmouth bass #1 #2(12") #3

White Perch - just the one this month

Got some pumpkinseeds, 7" 6" somewhere between the two

Some pickerel - the big ones were hiding after that huge rain really raised the water. #1 #2 (15") #3

Small striper was a bit of a surprise.

And two nice sturgeon, the first one 42" and the other 45". Couldn't get a good picture of such a long fish in my kayak!

DSCF0383_zpsknhoyydq.jpg

DSCF0386_zpsspi0scpp.jpg

#13 ·
after much looking at photos etc, and a very long delay (sorry!) here are the very short result for summer:

theRealCraigac:

smallies, 2 (there is probably a third but a duplicate was [posted instead)

fallfish 1

..... all the rest were....

Retroboy, soooo declaring him the summer winner, Craig second.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.