New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Returned yesterday from Sullivan Stretch on the NW, July 26-28

July 26-

Alternating sunny and showers all afternoon. Arrived about 2: 45 PM to the camp. Cabin in great shape and is wired for generator if you decide to bring one. Unpacked our stuff, got things arranged, put a new line , etc. on the reel and we left for Cameron Pool. Got to the pool at 4:40. Paul hooked a grilse at 4:50, and had it landed by 6:00 P.M. What a way to start the trip, I thought. We fished Cameron until about 7:00 15, then we went down river to Mills and Matchett. We fished Mills and Paul decided to explore down to Matchett; I stayed at Mills. Fished it until about 8:30 with no action. Went back to Cameron and Paul returned to Cameron at 9:00 P.M. He was disapointed at Matchett. No action, no fish showing. Water was low, but water temperature was cool. No fish showed at any of these 3 pools. We returned to the camp in the dark, made supper, then crashed.

Road to the ATV trail at Cameron is well marked and trails have been cut back where needed. Trail to Cameron is rugged, but in good shape.

July 27

Up at 5:30 A.M.. Made pot of coffess, toasted some bread with cheese and coldcuts for a breakfast snack, cleaned upp from supper last night, and left to fish at 6:30 A.M. Arrived at 6:50 A.M. We went to Sea Trout #2. Fished it for an hour and a half. Nothing showing , nothing taking. Left and went to Sullivan. Arrived about 8:30 A.M. Srarted fishing. several fish rolled, 1 jumped. At the tail of the pool there is a pointed rock ( looks like a very small mountail sticking out if the water) one grilse kept rolling about every 10-15 minutees since we had arrived at the pool. I was directly opposite him and decided that oonventional methods didn't work; so what the hell, try something different. I took a large Bomber, about 2" long, greased it with dry fly floatant, walked downstream behind this fish until I was about 15 feet below it. I then cast the fly upstream like in dry fly trout fishing so it would float down on a slack leader with no drag.

First cast- "BAM"- He hit it like a train and took it down. I was so suprised I didn't react. It must have crunched down on it, felt the steel of the hook shank, and released the fly. When it popped up I picked it up and cast it again, and the fish immediately smashed it again. This time I yanked at the fly and pulled it out of its' mouth. Talk about your BUCK FEVER! This was a white Bomber with Orange hackle palmered through the body.

I tried this again a couple of times in the same spot, but had no action. I cast the fly a few feet to my left ( toward the middle of the river) and saw another grilse go to it and turn away at the last moment. I tried a couple more casts; nothing. I changed flies to a brown Bomber, same size with orange hackle, and cast over the first fish. First cast , he attacked it again, but didn't get hooked up. I tried a few more casts, nopthing. Changed to a yellow Bomber, a little smaller, maybe 1-1/2". No action. Changed back to the white Bomber, cast near the first fish and got a hit on the 2nd cast; but no hook up. Changed to the Brown Bomber, got a hit on the first cast. A few more casts, nothing. Put the yellow one back on; nothing. Put the White one back on, and hooked this fish on the first cat and landed it 10 minutes later and released it. All in all 6 hits, 1 fish, from the same spot alternating 3 coloured Bombers.

We fished until almost 11:00 A/M. with no further action, then returned to camp for a gourmet breakfast Brunch- eggs, bacon steak, panfries toast and coffee.

Tied some flies after lunch then we headed out at 3:00 P.M. to check out Sea Trout #1 and we wanted to see what was upstream of this. We fished Sea Trout #1 for an hour or so, then we wandered a half km upstream, but didn't see anything of interest. No fish seen or showed at Sea Trout #1. Good well marked trail to this pool.

We went to Un Named Pool ater this, arriving just before 5:00 P.M. Trail had several wet spots and one boogy one that was termed "Dangerous" on a previous post by another poster to this board. If you're new to this stretch and on an ATV, be careful here. There's very short, very steep drop in the trail with a right angle bend to the right at the bottom ( This drop about 15' long max, and maybe 45 degrres in slope). If you have a passenger; stop , let the passenger off and negotiate it with the driver only. The trail to the pool is only about 100 yds further. Same thing coming back; do this corner without a passenger on board. There's a clear spot on the left with lots of room to park the ATV and turn it around. At the back of this on the left is the trail to the Pool. It's about 40-50 yards, and downhill.

Anyway, we were on the pool at about 5:00 P.M. and fished until about 8:30. Water was low in this pool. We had no action. There were fish rolling and a few jumped, but didn't seem interested in out offerings. We saw there were quite a few fish in the pool, so we decided to come back the next morning.

It was sunny and warnm to hot all day, with a warm breeze in the afternoon.

July 28- Last Day.Up at 5:30, on the water about 6:45 A.M. at No Name Pool. Fish rolling and 2 jumped. About 8:30 I hooked a grilse on a Green Machine but lost it. About 9:30 Paul hook a grilse , but lost it. After that we each rolled a couple but had no touches. WE left at 11:30 to have lunch , pack up the camp, and then go home. There appeared to be a good number of fish in this pool; wqe could see a few groups of 6-9 fish at different spots in the pool.

It was a real enjoyable trip. Paul had never been on a Crown Reserve, and he was impressed with it. I was pleased to have caught the grilse, but I enjoyed the proplem solving exercise in trying to get the fish to take. I have believed that a rolling fish is a taking fish, but a jumping fish probably won't take. All you need to do is figure out how to get them to take.

This stretch could benefit from some rain. If the river was up 6" it probably would have been a phenomenal trip.

Hope this post will provide some information. Good luck to those who have yet to go to Sullivan.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Nice post Mofrost - I was at the Depot the same time you were here. We hooked 14.
Our buddies were down at Stony Brook at the same time and they hooked one.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It took your buddy an hour and 10 minutes to land a grilse??
Must be a misprint. Ten minutes is too long! Unless you're keeping em' - put the wood to em'. Nice write up though! Haven't been to Sullivan in a few years now but I really liked it. Bombers are by far the most fun way to fish salmon, and there's really no wrong way to fish em'. Just have to find out how they want em' on any given day - like you said.
Thanks for the report!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a Typo. It only took 10 minutes. It's tough typing with the little fat stumps growing at the end of my palms, especially when I only use the middle one on each hand.

You should see me tie flies!

morfrost

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Morfrost, I'm making my long awaited journey to Sullivan Friday....Hopfully we get some rain wed/thurs! We are driving a Ford Escape....is it easy access to the camp? and you think it would be possible to drive down to any of the pools with the SUV or is a 4-Wheeler a must? Thanks alot, enjoyed reading your post!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Morfrost, I'm making my long awaited journey to Sullivan Friday....Hopfully we get some rain wed/thurs! We are driving a Ford Escape....is it easy access to the camp? and you think it would be possible to drive down to any of the pools with the SUV or is a 4-Wheeler a must? Thanks alot, enjoyed reading your post!
Hey Salmon Saver!
I've also had a post up on the Groundhog stretch and i have had minimal luck at getting some feedback. We are also going on the same dates as you and as you stated, we are anxiously awaiting our trip over.. we've made it an annual trip for us for the last 6 years at various locations... but primarily we focus on Crown Reserve and we also go numerous times a year at other locations... who knows, we may actually run across one another i'll keep a lookout to for your Ford Escape! Have a good trip bud!

·
Registered
298 Posts
cause most of the hard core salmon guys have moved to another site....
fishinnut seriously you have to post on this site that hard core ppl. go to another site ?? come on ?? how about .. check this site out..I find it really amazing the difference between NB and NS as far as this fourm .. is it we are all paranoid here in new brunswick to post informative info to the not so hard core anglers ?? all ppl. ask is for pointers .. updates especailly with crown waters they are going to that reserve .. that is it .. I fish the renous alot and do post my experiance .. not giving away where i go .. if someone can figure it out great .. or take the time to PM I will reply as i did to you .. but crown reserve to me is open game .. if there is info .. that can be handed down to the next group ..why .. promote another site ?

·
Registered
106 Posts
fishinnut seriously you have to post on this site that hard core ppl. go to another site ?? come on ?? how about .. check this site out..I find it really amazing the difference between NB and NS as far as this fourm .. is it we are all paranoid here in new brunswick to post informative info to the not so hard core anglers ?? all ppl. ask is for pointers .. updates especailly with crown waters they are going to that reserve .. that is it .. I fish the renous alot and do post my experiance .. not giving away where i go .. if someone can figure it out great .. or take the time to PM I will reply as i did to you .. but crown reserve to me is open game .. if there is info .. that can be handed down to the next group ..why .. promote another site ?
LOL!!! I can't think of anyone more helpful or informative than Fishinut. He just has enough common sense not to post specific location information on open forums. Thanks for the laugh.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I know of a couple great spots. It's somewhere in NB...
Actually, I know of a pretty good pool just above the Priceville bridge, but bellow the Ponds pools that I have access to providing my cousin is around.(Rapirian) I've yet to catch a salmon or a grilse out of there this summer due to water conditions, but perhaps in the fall if we get some rain.

If the Nashwaak was open to Catch and Release, I would be willing and able to tell a few good pools as my grandfather took me to all of them back in the day...

Woohoo guy's, twenty to thirty mm's in store for us tonight...That get's my Mo Jo going...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not sure why anyone would really post a reason such as fishinnut.... Yes, there are plenty of forums out there and i for one am a member of quite a few myself. Forums are places, in my opinion, where people share information that is helpful in one way or another... specific locations don't have to be given.. however, basic information as i see it can be shared...... When members post responses such as yours, it sort of brings down the sites respectability, as it can be perceived as though members are not helpful and arrogant... so when you see member counts decrease... ask yourself the question as to why...

To zamboni guy... i agree with you 100% and also can't see why someone would promote another site.... i share the same thoughts as you when it comes to helping someone out... if i can great! but if i can't, i won't send anyone on a wild goose chase... have a good one!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Salmon Saver

Road to camp at Sullivan from Fraser Burchill Rd is very good. Not far in from main road. If you read some of my other posts on Sullivan Stretch in June/early July you can get an idea of other roads/trails leading to river from camp.
It's been dry for a while so the roads should be in pretty good shape. You should have no problem from camp to Sullivan Pool in one direction and from camp to top of ATV Road (at the Cameron-Mills- Matchett end) in the other direction with a SUV. If roads are wet, use your best judgement.

No Name Pool is a short hike from Sullivan. That's my favourite pool on the stretch.

Don't have any current info on this stretch, but there were fish a month ago. Good luck!

morfrost

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fishinnut is one of the most informative and helpful people I have yet to meet in the online fishing community. I second what Bonasa U. stated as well, and I couldn't think that you could be more wrong about someone zamboni-guy.

The truth is that a bunch of hardcore salmon guys did leave the site when there were issues with it. They built a community somewhere else in cyber space. Truth hurts, but most of these guys haven't been back.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Zamboni Guy....Pretty sure 'Nut was just answering the question as to why no one posts anymore...simple as that!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Salmon Saver!
I've also had a post up on the Groundhog stretch and i have had minimal luck at getting some feedback. We are also going on the same dates as you and as you stated, we are anxiously awaiting our trip over.. we've made it an annual trip for us for the last 6 years at various locations... but primarily we focus on Crown Reserve and we also go numerous times a year at other locations... who knows, we may actually run across one another i'll keep a lookout to for your Ford Escape! Have a good trip bud!
Good luck flyfisher! Hopfully the rain will help us out! Can't hurt anyways.....Might just be a weekend of castin flies and tellin lies.lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Salmon Saver

What were condiitons like at Sullivan CR when you went? Plse post, whether it was good or bad.Thanx.

morfrost

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Salmon Saver

What were condiitons like at Sullivan CR when you went? Plse post, whether it was good or bad.Thanx.

morfrost
Water was obv low but 2 of us managed to hook 6 fish....only landed 1 though!!! Never rolled so many fish in my life and they were taking really light. We hooked 4 from noon to 1pm at Sullivan pool(I typically would put my rod down from 11am-4pm....shows ya you can't hook a fish if your line aint in the water!), we stopped in there for a beer and a look. Didn't see any fish the night before. We saw 1 grile swim up the pool then back down. Casted to the big rock in middle of river, 2nd cast with Green bomber fish on. At that time we thought we hooked the only fish in the pool.....once the sun came from behind clouds we were amazed to see about 20-30 fish there. They sit off the big rock. Unamed pool about 6min walking down river on ATV trail has a beaver dam on the end of it and was holding 40-50 fish we estimated. All other pools were way too low and didn't see anything.
In a nut shell......this rain won't hurt, but water will still be low......just focus on Sullivan and Un-named pool. Small black flies were working best. Shady ladys, black bugs, undertakers. They wanted the smaller flies, but we weren't getting solid hookups. Oh well the best part is once they take the fly anyways...get's the heart pumping!
Friend I was with landed the only fish, which was his first ever salmon....he was still shaking 30min later! Made the trip worth it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanx for the post, Salmon Saver!

I was interested because I never have taken this stretch beyond 5th of August or so and wanted some info on later than that.

Glad you had a good time.

morfrost

1 - 18 of 18 Posts