New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just wondering if there is any news out there in regards to Sullivan Pool so far this year? Will i still be able to tell where these pools are if the water is too high ?? Is it still possible to fish it in high water?

thanks

troy

·
Registered
113 Posts
The upper pools- Sea Trout 1 & 2 and Sullivan Pool are all small pools and the river is narrow here and may be hard to fish, but the lower pools, from No Name down should be better as the river gets wider here. No Name normally has a shallow water side on the left bank ( facing downstream) and this should allow you wading access even if the water is high. JUst be careful wading across. At normal water levels it's waist deep on me. I'm 5'7" tall.

The other lower pools like Cameron should be fishable. You could fish Cameron off the rocks at the head of the pool and also along the right side. I'm not sure about Matchett. The river narrows up again when it makes the last bend leading to Matchett. I've never fished it in high water. It will be a lot of work getting to it. You will probably need to take the "trail". Mountain Goat path is more like it. Usually I wade down to the bottom of Cameron, then cross to the left bank and wade the river down to Matchett. This will be challenging and real tiring if the river has raised significantly.

Don't know if this helps. I haven't encountered much high water on my trips.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We fished Sullivan camp June 10-12. Water was at a great level. I wouldn't recommend going there without the use of a ATV or side by side, and be aware the the road along the river is washed out right before "No Name Pool". So you wold have to take the other road to get down to Cameron pool.
We had the most success on at Sullivan pool with large trout on muddlers. But my buddy managed to land a grisle on the last cast of the trip at Sea Trout pool 2.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
113 Posts
We fished Sullivan camp June 10-12. Water was at a great level. I wouldn't recommend going there without the use of a ATV or side by side, and be aware the the road along the river is washed out right before "No Name Pool". So you wold have to take the other road to get down to Cameron pool.
We had the most success on at Sullivan pool with large trout on muddlers. But my buddy managed to land a grisle on the last cast of the trip at Sea Trout pool 2.

Hope that helps
Define "Washed out" ? Where? Do you mean the short sharp downhill stretch about 400-500 yards past Sullivan that turns 90 degrees to the right at the bottom ad then goes uphill to No Name Pool? THis poart is usually wet. Was this [part under water? I have this stretch on July 24 and am interested.

Thanx

Don (morfrost)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the great info, much appreciated! The water appears to be going back down, hopefully we'll see some fish. Speaking of trout, what are the daily limits? Someone told me i can't have more than 5 in my cooler at any given time, and only two can be more than 12" ?? But at the same time he thought the crown waters were different ??

thanks again !!

troy

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah, they were right - you are allowed 5 fish and 2 more than a foot. Sometimes CR stretches are different than the normal regs - but more restrictive, not more liberal. Just my opinion of course, but those big trout are pretty important fish - shouldn't keep more than a couple of them anyway. Anything more is just being greedy. But I think the salmon will keep you busy enough anyway. Have a good trip.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Define "Washed out" ? Where?
Washed out as in there is a 5' wide 4 ' deep hole where the ATV trail is. Taking the other road to Cameron pool would be much faster from the camp. Not under water, it was more of a situation where a spring creek blew it out. It is possible to make it up and around, but the road between No Name and Cameron was in bad shape.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sounds good, hopefully i'll see some of both!!

thanks again for all the info.

I'll give a report when i get back.

troy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sullivan stretch = 4 wheeler !! The camp is pretty far from the river, so i wouldn't go there without one.

We had a good couple days, first day we visited 4 pools real quick to see where the best spot might be for the two of us to fish, water was a bit higher than usual i think, but we still managed to find some fish.

Trout pool 2, very small pool, can only be fished from the other side of the river. Tried twice, did not see any fish.
Sullivan pool, nice pool, two people can fish it, but we had more luck taking turns in the sweet spot. Hooked a fish there on the first night with a small brown bomber, but lost it within a min. We decided to start our full day at Sullivan pool again, and sure enough, Marilyne hooked landed and tagged a grilse around 10am with a green machine white tail. This was her first fish that she could tag, so she was excited!! I hooked another grilse about an hr later with an undertaker, but lost it as it was being netted. Finally about an hr later on a Brown Carter Bug, messy fly, never thought it would get any attention, but wow did it ever, a big rise on the first cast, all i saw was the white belly of the fish turn underwater at the fly, marilyne missed it, i said watch this, and bam next couple cast fish on!!! Landed and tagged my first grilse of the season, it was just passed noon and the day was finished for both of us.

We looked at No Name pool, and Cameron pool, No Name has no sign, but its sorta obvious where the trail into the woods leads. I cant say i saw any real pool there,,but i didn't get into the water to go look for it. Cameron pool however looked like it had promise, but the next morning we decided to go back to sullivan pool since we had luck there on the first two days. Things weren't as busy as the previous day, but around 10:30am i hooked another grilse with a big green bomber with white tail and brown hackle. The fish was a foot from being netted,, but got spooked i think and off it went.

We hooked 5 fish and landed 2, so for us , it was a good fishing trip!!

We didn't visit the pools that where goat trail only.

Camp is excellent, 5 Star !!

·
Registered
8 Posts
We just got back from Sullivan. We fished from the afternoon of Aug 15 until Aug 17th. Weather was pretty miserable the first day and half but the fishing was great.

First and foremost, totally agree with last poster. If you go to Sullivan's you need a 4 wheeler. Some truck might make it in most places with great tires but I wouldn't put my truck through it. The much talked about wash out is clearly marked and someone has cut a track around it that a wheeler can easily manage.

Read the log book as soon as we unpacked. Most people are reporting lots of luck on this stretch. Specifically people tend to have the most luck on Seat Trout 2 and Sullivan pool. We decided to try both on our first afternoon. At Sullivan lots of fishing jumping and two took but we were unable to land either. Saw a bear cub on the far side of the river. As soon as it saw us it took off and was never seen again. Next we fished Sea trout. Again we saw some jumping and one swim up the pool. No takers, though. In the evening we tried Cameron with nothing neither hooked nor seen.

In the morning we tried with no luck. After lunch we tried No Name (right after the wash out when travelling by Sullivan's) and that is when the luck turned. We hooked and landed one salmon and two grilse. Two were caught on a white tailed green machines and the second grilse was caught with a Carter's bug. The evening fish we hooked a few but we were unable to land them.

On the final morning of fishing we decide to go back to No Name. We hooked and landed a salmon on a white tailed green machine. We also hooked five grilse on a white tailed green machine and one grilse one shady lady.

Tight lines everyone!

·
Registered
8 Posts
We were very fortunate. The bump of water was just the trick. I was worried when we got such a late date but it worked out great. Can't wait until next year!

·
Registered
250 Posts
We were very fortunate. The bump of water was just the trick. I was worried when we got such a late date but it worked out great. Can't wait until next year!
It's always a gamble isn't it? lol I was sure we were too early for the Kedgwick in June and thought the water would be way too high but it was actually a little low for the time of year and then we got rain and had a great trip after all. I'm with you; it's a long winter before next year!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had great luck at Sullivan on August 31 - September 2. Hooked quite a few fish; landed 5 grilse. Lost another reaching for the fly. Saw two moose, a bear and lots of fish. Great spot!

·
Registered
20 Posts
right on eastcoasttrout, what pools did you have luck with?
Hookbill,

we didn't have a 4X4 so that meant a fair bit of walking. We were able to drive about halfway down to the river, then had to walk about ten minutes to get to the water. We landed fish in Sullivan, Sea Trout 1 and Sea Trout 2. We saw nothing at Unnamed Pool.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts