New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've fished Stripers in the Bay for years, but know there are Sturgeon there.From what I understand they stay in the channel?There have been reports of sightings in the Peti. river since they opened the gates, and I saw 2 dead ones washed up near a wharf last year.Any advice on how to catch one of these monsters?Baits, time of year etc.

·
Registered
184 Posts
sturgeon will hang out just about anywhere. bigger ones tend to be deeper from where i've seen them jump but i've seen smaller ones in 2 feet of water on several occasions.

as for bait, i've had success with crawlers on the bottom (dont be shy to use a heavy slip-sinker, 1-2oz should do the trick) i've heard of people catching them with smelts and shrimp too. also consider pieces of liver or mussels as both will leave a nice trail of scent.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if your familiar with the Peti. River, it's all mud banks, and the tides are crazy as it is only 20km from the Bay of Fundy.I'm wondering if anyone knows when the fish run up this River.Anyone know of any Sturgeon sites on the net?From what I've read so far there are 2 spawning runs, spring and fall.There's a lot of Striper guys who fish down in the Bay, using various baits, and I've never heard of anyone hookin a Sturgeon.Like I mentioned in my first post, I think the Strurgeon are stayin in the channel, and the striper guys are fishin coves, inlets etc.This may be why they are not hookin up with Strugeon?There was a article in the Moncton news paper awhile back about a 5+ footer spotted up in the fresh water last year.Does anyone have a link to the story?Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sturgeon will hang out just about anywhere. bigger ones tend to be deeper from where i've seen them jump but i've seen smaller ones in 2 feet of water on several occasions.

as for bait, i've had success with crawlers on the bottom (dont be shy to use a heavy slip-sinker, 1-2oz should do the trick) i've heard of people catching them with smelts and shrimp too. also consider pieces of liver or mussels as both will leave a nice trail of scent.
What's the biggest one you've taken from the Saint. River?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
What's the biggest one you've taken from the Saint. River?
Sturgeon are bootom feeders, and stripers will feed from bottom to top, that is why the striper guys aren't hooking sturgeon. Like Jay says, crawlers, bloodworms are good, I have used chicken hearts from Sobeys, (stripers like them too).

There are two types of sturgeon around here, the Atlantic Sturgeon and the Shortnose Sturgeon, here is a link with a bit of info on both. There is also a sturgeon tournament in October held out at Meenans Cove

Sturgeon

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everyone in this part of the Bay, including N.S. on the other side fish the bottom for Stripers.I don't know if you've fished these conditions, but at low tide, there's no water for up to 1 mile in some spots.I feel the Sturgeon are not comin out of the main channel.I recently talked to guys who used to have Shad licenses to drag the Bay, in the channel, and report they would often take Sturgeon big and small.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts